There is a random bug that causes the link not to be made occasionally, but I've never seen the link disappear once it's been made. And the bug doesn't happen most of the time, only probably 10% of the time at most.
In the ones where the link isn't there, did you make any changes to the common name, cultivar, genus, or species fields? If you make changes there then it's technically not the same plant that was in Plant Files, so the link will go away then.
You can change any of the other info, I just noticed in my journal when I changed anything in those fields I mentioned that the link disappeared (but you can change location, status, category, add entries, etc and none of those have ever messed up the link) If the link got made in the first place, I've never seen it go away for any reason other than messing with one of the name fields. So I guess I don't know what's going on with yours then.
Tammy, I'm glad you started this thread. I am also experiencing the same thing, I ordered some bulbs and went into plant files to add to my Journel. I did not change anything. Iris Harmony did a link back to the plant files but Narcissis Kedron did not link, I went back into plant files a few days later and added it again to see if the link would take, but it did not.
I would like to have the links work as it makes it easy to add pictures to my journal and share some more pictures in the plant files also.
In my experience, if a particular plant won't make the link right, you can go back months later and it still won't work, I've never gotten one to work if it didn't the first time. Hopefully this bug is somewhere on Dave's list to fix, but I know he's got a pretty long list!
I'm a little confused about how it makes it easy to add pictures to the journal or to Plant Files--uploading pics to either one of those places are completely separate from each other, there's no way to transfer pics from one to the other. Unless you've discovered a new trick?
ec You said "I'm a little confused about how it makes it easy to add pictures to the journal or to Plant Files--uploading pics to either one of those places are completely separate from each other, there's no way to transfer pics from one to the other. Unless you've discovered a new trick?"
What I ment is when I take pictures I like to go into my journal and post a picture of the plant. Then using the link I go stright to the same plant in plant files and add a picture there. Just is a stright shot from one to the other. And eaiser then trying to locate that verity of plant in the plant files.
I'm having the same problem with Hino Crimson Azalea and a couple others that I can't recall at the moment. But I'm glad you've done these posts because I couldn't figure what I was doing wrong. Tried making a totally new entry for the azalea but had the same results. That's when I accessed the FAQs and found your comments.
okay this won't fix the problem- but what I do when that happens, is copy and paste the address of the plant file page into the initial comment or entry. It shows up as a hyperlink as long as you have it as the first line not after any other typing.
Is this the type of chart you're talking about? http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/ecrane3/40509/ If so, it is part of the journal, when you go in to your main journal page and choose a particular category or status to view, or when you click "access all items" you'll see your entries displayed that way.
I just checked to see what was going on with the entry I did using Plantfiles yesterday for Narcissus Kendron. It shows up in my journal but with no link back to the Plantfiles. I did another of it today to see if the link back was working. No no working as it did the same thing. It does not have the link back, but neither do many of the others that I know should link back. Something is not working as I have used this feature tons of time in the past. Patti
There was a thread about this a while ago where we managed to figure out what is going on--if you have a plant that has a genus name and a cultivar name but not a species name (as is the case with Narcissus 'Kedron'), then the link won't get made. If there's a species name in there, then it will work correctly. This has been a problem for a long time, if you haven't run into it before then I guess most of the plants you've added had a species name associated with them.
ecrane3, Thanks for the explaination, it's nice to know the reason why things work or don't work.
I have been working around this problem by copying the link to plant files and placing it in an entry in my journal, this works very well for me.
For anything that doesn't have a species name in the Plant Files entry the link doesn't get made correctly. Anything that does have a species name should work fine. I can't tell from what shows up in your link whether it had a species name or not but I would guess it didn't and that's why you didn't get the link.