Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Sideways Baby Cornplants

Aulander, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi! Me again! Had a little bit of rain come through and it brought the wind with it. My corn is between 4 and 6 inches high, all looking pretty healthy. Most of my buddies have been blown sideways, as in paralell to the ground. Is now a good time to thin them out and can I replant my little fellas without harming them with the hope of some saved yeild? I sowed two or three seeds in each planting hole.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Plt3145, yes you should thin out your corn plants as they like room around the roots, but not too far apart, I would say if you transplant now, your little ones should be OK, try to plant them kind of zigzag as they dont pollinate well by insects, they blow in the wind and get pollinated by the pollen brushing against the next plant,or airborn pollination, it should tell you the distance on the packet depending on the type and expected hight of the plants. WeeNel.

Aulander, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks a bunch!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.