Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Delicata is this a problem?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2007
12:17 AM

Post #3584372

I planted delicata less than 2 months ago. 4/15 The plants seems very healthy and already have much fruit. Some fruit are already 3-4" dia. and about 7" long. But most are a very pale green, almost white. They still feel very firm so I don't think they are rotten.

Some of the smaller ones have the darker green variegations. Is pale green normal? Or are my squash plants sick?

If everything is OK, then are the larger squash ready to be harvested? I've never eaten a delicata and I'm looking forward to trying one.

Thanks,
Lexie

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 7:19 PM
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3584464

Delicata is a winter squash. You need to wait until they are fully matured. Everything seems normal at this point. Most of us wait until the vines die or frost whichever come first, but you can pick them once the skins gets too hard to scratch with a fingernail but they don't develop full flavor until they have been cured for several weeks.
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3584992

Whew! Thanks farmerdill. I was so very worried. I hate to see anything in my little garden go bad. I had a problem with misshapened zukes and yellow (the yellow squash even had green stripey looking markings) recently and research leads me to believe it was a virus, squash mosaic. This is my first real garden as an adult, so that was a heartbreaker, I'll tell ya. I've ordered a disease resistant hybred seed "defender" and I'm going to replant asap.

I've already replanted yellow and gotten rid of any questionable seedlings, Looking good thus far, so I'm holden out hope for those.

Some of my toms have bloom end rot -- but I *think* that's an easy fix w/ a little lime or ebson salts. All of them came up from my compost, so I'm thinking, as long as I get all the rotten toms and tom tops from work, I'll have tomatos in the garden. I might not know what kind I'm gettin' next, but they'll be around in abundance. LOL!

BTW, would you mind enlightening me on how to "cure" the delicata fruit? Please and TY!

Lexie

This message was edited Jun 6, 2007 9:45 PM
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2007
11:41 AM

Post #3585850

To cure winter squash just sit them in a cool dry storage area for for three weeks or so. A garage, storage room, etc is what most of us use. They will keep until late in the winter. Just don't let them freeze. Don't put them directly on a concrete floor.
lexiekinz
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2007
7:13 PM

Post #3587421

Seems easy enough. OK, thank you, kindly farmer.

Lexie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America