Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Can one grow bleeding heart from the seeds in the pods?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
msbsgblue
Yakima, WA

June 7, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3584647

This is the first time I planted bleeding hearts and I did not know they made seed pods. Can I grow new plants from them? How long will it take for them to bloom if planted from seed?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 7, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3584748

Hi, I have to tell you that all plants with the exception of hybrids form seeds, whether they are able to germinate is another matter, I would think that you can grow plants from the seeds from your bleeding heart, however, I would think that you would need bottom heat and even then, they might not come good, but on saying that, what have you got to loose, if you have the seed, then dry it off and either store it in a dry cool place till time to sew, or take some cutting, they I think would be quicker and have more success in increasing your plant stock, to take the cuttings, you will have to wait till next spring, when you see the new shoots come through, and they are about 3/4 inch high, gently scrape away some soil around the plant close to the stems, get a sharp knife and cut downwards holding the cutting in your other hand, make sure it has a tiny bit root on it and pop it into a pot of compost, water and keep on a semi sheltered place away from hot sun, keep watering and you should get it to grow into a new plant, you will prob get 4/5 cuttings in the same 6 inch pot, good luck. WeeNel.
3doxiemom
Elizabethton, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #3730495

I started with one bleeding heart plant...I now have enough to share with anyone that wants them! When the plant goes to seed and the seeds dry on the stem, I just go around and tap/shake the plant. Wherever the seeds land, I have new plants next year! (of course, the wind/rain also helps with the seed spreading if I don't get to it first!). I wait a year until the new plants are larger, then I dig them up with a little of the dirt around them and move them.

Let us know how yours turn out!
KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #3755244

Bleeding Heart is one of my all time favorite flowers! I havent seen it in my local center as of late!

3doxiemom, if you have enough to go around I'd love to exchange addresses and get some of your seeds to plant! would I put them down this year (as if they fell naturally) then let them come up next????
fiftyplusandkids
Champaign, IL

July 19, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #3756264

We have a Community Garden at the Stratton School in Champaign Illinois. If anyone has seeds they would care to share with the Seniors and Kids they can send them to:

50 Plus and Kids Garden
108 W Washington
Champaign Illinois 61820

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America