Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: nebody knows how to minimize aphids attack w/o insecticide?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kaenjie2
Sabah
Malaysia

June 7, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #3586706

i used insecticide to kill aphids in my garden, but after a week or two, they came back. and i noticed that that insecticide beginning to have less efect on them each time. i know that this was because most aphids that were left might be immune to that insecticide. so, i think i need to use nature's way in controlling aphids attack. anybody knows how?
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3586747

you could try getting some ladybugs or other bio-control.

Carl
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 10, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #3596546

I Kaenjie, you live in a wonderful part of the world, been out your way many times, stayed in Brunei, Panang and did the usual visits to Bali and Singapore, wonderfull Botanical Gardens to visit also. As regards your aphids, when you sprayed them with the bug killers, you prob did kill them all, BUT they would have layed there eggs before the kill, then these hatch out and before you know it you have another generation off these plant and sap eaters, so what you should have done was after your firt spraying of bug killer, you should have repeated it about 10 to 14 days later, so that you kill the ones that hatched from the eggs, you will prob have to do this several times more to break the cycle as they bread like crazey, there are several things you can do if you dont wish to use chemicals, like liquid soap, either washing up liquid soap, or collect all you bits of solid hand wash soap, like when the bar of solid soap is finnished, save these bits in a jar with a little water in it, it turns to slime, just put some into a hand held sprayer and fill with water, spray this onto the plants, the soap has some sticky oil in it and it sticks to the bugs, they cant breath or fly, so they die, depending on what plants you are growing, you can grow Garlic beside them and the bugs dont like the smell, so dont come near it. there are also parasitic wasps you can send for from the net, they come in larve form and you sprinkle them onto your plants and they eat the bugs you want rid off, they are harmless to humans and any other bugs, but I have only used these on indoor plants in an enclosed space. hope this helps you get started on the right track, Good luck, WeeNel.
deltaqueen
Holly Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #3626577

I made a tea of basil, garlic and fresh mint. and one small dash of liquid soap. I squirted directly under the leaves on my tomato plants. no more aphids.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2007 3:09 PM
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #3627666

I used 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of Ivory dish soap to a quart of water in a spray bottle. Sprayed it all over the plants, both sides of the leaves and the stems. I had lots of aphids, so I had to spray the plants twice. No more aphids, and they haven't come back.

Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
10:42 AM

Post #3632496

Use of high-pressure water spray can control the problem but not get rid of it.
I use ladybugs myself. However, I have no idea if you can buy them in Malaysia.
Diatomaceous earth is supposed to work as well, but difficult to get up on the underside of leaves and it kills earthworms as well so you have to be careful how it's used, otherwise it is non-toxic to pets and humans.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America