Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Showing off...

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 18, Views: 387
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3587041

more...

Thumbnail by momo125
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 7, 2007
10:27 PM

Post #3588105

Oh Momo How very lovely ...I am green with envy ...we can't grow them it is too hot...but you have inspired me to have another go!
now let me see ...you need a cool root run and what amount of sun ?...our sun is harsh- so I guess dappled shade ...will it flower with say just early morning sun?...thankyou
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 7, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #3588366

Momo, what a spectaculer show, no wonder you want to show it off, I have one very like this Cemetis, called Multi Blue but as yet, I dont have the show that you have, good for you, you should take cuttings and plant it around.

Chrissey, if you can find a spot in your place, they do like a bit sun on the stems, but your right, the cool root run is the most important, could you plant it so that it would grow through another shrub as a suport for it to ramble over and onto it, that way, maybe you could plant the clemetis rootball on the shade side of the shrub and place a largeish stone over the planting hole to keep the heat out a bit, if you do plant one, sink it about 3/4 inches deeper than it was while in it's pot as they can suffer from stem rot for no reason, that way, if it does get an attack of this, it will throw up new shoots the next season, good luck, hope you too can enjoy this plant. WeeNel UK.
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #3588806

The easiest way I find to keep the roots cool is to use mulch of some sort or as Weenel said, plant some flowers around the base.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 8, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3588840

Thanks everyone one...we gardeners are a mad lot always pushing the envelope but when we manage to grow something that we should not...Wow!...I am going to try it!:-)
mwood4d
Barnegat, NJ

June 25, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3654030

WOW...green with envy...i've tried for 7-8 years to grow clematis, no such luck..finally moved down the shore and i've gotten lucky with just one...jackmannia, i think, but no such luck with the others...so this is what i'm aspiring too..thanks for the inspiration...m
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2007
9:10 AM

Post #3655363

I tried clematis here too. They are a summer annual for us. They come back for a couple years, but, they just get smaller and smaller. I am sticking with annuals for the most part. What few perennials we can grow here don't live more than 2-3 years. Annuals are easy, this is Phlox drummondii>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
12:28 PM

Post #3655642

mwood, I am also near Barnegat! A bit North in Lacey. I see Clematis all over when I drive around but haven't had luck myself! They are a favorite of mine, but, they dwindle out and try to come back but never strong. We have terrible soil naturally here, I was thinking of planting it in a pot then sinking the pot into the ground and hiding it with other plants to keep the feet "cool" Anyone know if that will work or will it hinder it's growth being in a pot??? I can use a big one! I just figured that would keep the good soil for the plant! Somebody mentioned taking cuttings of this plant, does it root easily?? How does one propogate clematis? Does it make seeds to collect or can I just root a cutting in water???
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2007
12:59 PM

Post #3673274

If you plant it in a pot, one thing to remember, It hates acidic soil. I would add a small amount of dolometic lime to the soil mixture that you use. keep it moist but well drained and plant flowers around the base. That amazes me that things we take for granted in the colder climes, such as perennials won't grow down there. I guess its true that they need that cold dormant time. Mother Nature is one fickle woman!!
Crazy4bts
Avon, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #3677959

It's amazing!!

I just purchased a little climates as a garden center is closing and had 60% off. It looks good and sturdy. So I plant this in a full sun spot, and shade the feet w/ other flowers, right? I'm ready to give it a go, and am praying that she'll make it for me!

Any other advice for a clematis newbie??
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #3682749

Make sure you have something for it to grow on. A trellis or an obilisk.
Then just stand back!!! Just kidding.
You probably won't see much happen to it this year, but next year ou should see something. Last year I planted a second one and I had only one flower on it this year. Here's a pic. It is an 'Ernest Markham'.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2007 3:09 PM

Thumbnail by momo125

kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3683411

Side note: What's the sign on your clematis say, momo? "Gardener's know the best..."

Kristie
Stlucia05
Gros Islet
Saint Lucia

July 2, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #3686702

Kristie,

it looks like "... best dirt"

Momo,
pics like this almost make me want to give up the tropics
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #3686764

Yes that's it, "Gardeners know the best dirt."
I have another plaque that says "Life began in a garden"

NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3686856

Crissy,
I have one of my clematis growing on the east side of my house so it gets only morning sun. It's been there for 3 years now and is beautiful--puts on quite a show with very large flowers. Like momo said, I use lots of mulch around the roots. Also, plant the roots a little deeper than they are in the pot it comes in. Good luck.
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3688727

Yes, thats another thing I forgot to mention. D'OH! The Clematises (Clemati??plural?) at my house are on the east side. Morning sun as well. Maybe that helps as the roots aren't being beaten on all day by the sun.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 4, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #3694483

To take cuttings from clemetis, you need to cut off a non flowering shoot, then cut the stem halfway between the two sets of leaves, so you have a leaf joint AND a long bit of stem, insert this into compost/sand mix till it roots, it will take about 2 months to root, but the easiest way for beginners is to lay a nice non flowering shoot onto the earth beside the parent plant, (still attatched to the parent plant) and scrape away some soil, peg (gently) the stem into the soil making sure that a leaf joint is touching the soil, cover the pegged part of the stem and water it, it will root faster than a cutting, you can leave this in the soil till next year to allow good roots to form, be gentle and scrape the earth to see if you have good roots growing on your layered shoot, if yes, nip out the growing tip to get new branches to form, cut it from the parent plant and place it in the new site or into a pot for growing on, clemetis like a rich composted/manure soil with the rootball in shade/cool and the top of the plant in some sun, but not blazeing hot sun, you can do lots of layered cuttings at the one time and as you have not cut them away from the parent plant, this will not harm the parent plant in any way, you get lots of new plants and while the cuttings are rooting, the parent plant continues to grow also, after removing the rooted cutting, give the parent plant a feed as it has worked hard for you. Good luck. hope ye all have new babies soon. Weenel.
3doxiemom
Elizabethton, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2007
5:15 AM

Post #3730482

Wow, this is an awesome and inspiring clematis! I have a white one like it, and it's only 1/4 the size of yours and i thought mine was soooo pretty this year! Sorry, no pic - the late snow got it before I got a pic!

Thanks for sharing this beauty!
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3735774

Thank you. I planted it about 2003 or 04, I can't remember. We moved into the house in April 02.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America