Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Starting a rose bush

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pammee62
Charleston, WV

June 8, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #3591658

We live in our churches parsonage, and there are 12 beautiful rose bushes on each side of the house. Each one beautiful and fragrant. We have just bought a house, and I would like to take some of these roses with me when I move in my new home. Someone told me that I could start a rose bush from the ones around the parsonage by clipping the blooms when the petals are gone, and plant them bloom side down in the soil, and this will grow a rose bush. Is this true, and exactly how would I go about doing it. Thank you for any suggestions.

Thumbnail by pammee62
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 8, 2007
9:35 PM

Post #3592310

This is a joke ...right?...oh dear just in case it isn't, no you plant the other end.The best time to take the cuttings is late Autumn (fall) but you can try any time if you have to.I will leave it to some one else to go into details ...but basically use a good quality seed raising mix...put a few approx 5/8 inch cuttings into a pot around the edges...push in about 3/4 down (strip all but the top two leaves off first)...place in a sheltered position...water every few days after initial watering at planting time...and then leave them alone .Roses will throw out new shoots in the spring even before the roots come ...so don't touch until you see a fairly good growth happening...even then...because you havent done it before I would leave them alone until the following Autumn/Winter before planting them out...good luck :-)
mygypsyrose
Browns Mills, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3620848

nice photo editing job. Must've been a good rain with the size of those drops! LOL
gn63
Banks, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3631552

I have been told to put the rose cutting in a pot of good soil and place a large coke bottle over it. Cut the bottom out and place it over the rose and take the cap off. Place this in a shade and water everytime it starts to dry out. I have not tried it but was planning to do so in the late summer...gn
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2007
10:22 AM

Post #3640292

Picking up on this thread...when IS the best time of year to transplant a rose bush in northern zones (e.g. I'm in Zone 5a). Is this a springtime or an autumn planting thing? We are thinking about putting in a couple more rose bushes around the lawn but aren't under any time constraint. We planted the first ones in the spring (several years ago) and they have done fine. Is that the only time one can plant them? Is that the best time?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America