Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Grass and Bamboo: know anything about pleoblastus

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 4, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #3596443

I think that's how it's spelled. When I was in memphis, I saw this bamboo, that was 4 inches around, well, ok, maybe 3, but it was huge, l5 feet tall and he said it grew 3 feet a day, it was absolutely beautiful. He sells hostas, and other shade plants, his was growing in full shade, and I bought a 2 gallon pot , and he said in 3 years mine would be as big as his. It will be like christmas time when I see that day.

But I haven't been able to find any info on it, he called it pleoblastus bamboo.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3596461

It's spelled Pleioblastus, here are the ones that are in Plant Files, there are a number of different species but hopefully if you look at the pictures you'll see one that looks like yours.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=pleioblastus&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
I don't know much about this one, but it is a running bamboo so if you're planning on putting it in the garden make sure you use a root barrier.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3596504

WE planted it where we don't care if it takes over. He also told me it seems to like to grow in one direction, I had 2 different people tell me that that grow this bamboo, that it will grow in one direction, can't remember which direction, I guess if I see it's growing the wrong way I can dig it up and turn it around ha ha.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2007
1:05 AM

Post #3643355

You are probably thinking of a different genus, as Pleioblastus species are almost all dinky 1'-3' tall bamboos... sounds like you are talking about Phyllostachys? Now THAT's a fast bamboo (or at least some are), and can grow up to 80' tall. All the Pleioblastus species I have grown are beautiful, often variegated and quite small (have to look down to see them, not up).
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3643413

Well, he did call it pleoblastus and seemed sure of himself, I did a search once and a large bamboo came up that was a pleoblastus.

All I know is this stuff is abou t 4 inches around and it's at least l5 feet tall. and so beautiful. I can't wait for mine to be like this, and hope it doesn't take over LOL It could be the bamboo you mentioned, I guess I don't have to know, I know it was high dollar stuff. like 25.00 for a gallon pot.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America