Photo by Melody

Handyman: Do they make diamond tile & glass drill bits?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 8, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #3603623

I can't seem to find any in this style: http://cgi.ebay.com/Glass-and-tile-drill-bit-1-2-carbide-tip-brand-new_W0QQitemZ270127789723QQihZ017QQcategoryZ50384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't find them locally. If they do exist, does any one know where I can buy them?

Thanks!
jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #3603640

the ones i buy are from delphiglass.com but there not like that.
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #3603666

Well, what is the best drill bit for drilling hard to cut holes?
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2007
6:07 PM

Post #3606811

It depends what you're drilling. Carbide works fine for most anything.
jerryhildebrand
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3608239

if your drilling glass i would use the diamon imbedded bits with a little water. they work great you can use them on tile too
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2007
11:40 AM

Post #3609450

Definitely a diamond bit for glass and ceramics. I finally bought a 1/2 diamond hole saw for around $20. After wearing out my arm and several masonry and/or carbide bits and ending up with ragged holes, I threw in the towel and found a place on line to buy a diamond drill. It was a joy to use.

Masonry drill bits are good for concrete and rock (get a hammer drill). Masonry and carbide bits can be found in most hardware stores. Diamond bits are a specialty and you will have to go elsewhere.

Check on line for diamond drill bits or hobby stores (stained glass area).

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

June 13, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #3610125

I love my Bad Dog Tools bits - they will drill anything. Great company, too. Their guarantee is "for-real". I sent in a broken 1/16" bit and also complained about the wobble in the quick change adapter - had replacements for both in 3 days -FREE!

Found them at The Woodworking Shows. Goggle both for more info.

Bill
renatelynne
Boerne new zone 30, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3713077

sure. truebite is where I got mine. Use them all the time.
CutNGlass
Hendersonville, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3750867

For that one on eBay (looks like a spearpoint glass drill bit), you can probably find supplier from:
http://vermontamerican.com/

It's been years, and we don't do this kind of stuff anymore (only stained glass, and don't have work area set up here yet), but...

Are you drilling into marble or granite? You can used diamond-tipped drill bits specifically made for marble/granite. They are not cheap, but depending on how many holes you are making, may save you $$ in the long run. If not doing that many, try the titanium bits at your local hardware store. Go slow, clean out holes frequently to avoid build-up of dust around bit, allow bit to cool more often.

CRL (C.R.Laurence) was supplier we used for glazier supplies. I haven't bought from them in years -- used to have $100 minimum order and had to have (resale permit) tax i.d. number. CRL stocks diamond-tipped drill bits specifically for marble/granite. You may notice that they have a much more "open" look to the grooves -- that allows debris to move out of the hole so that the bit stays cooler. This is similar to the "masonry bits" that you see for concrete. It will last longer if you pull the bit out and clean off the dust several times when making the hole. Remember when drilling into "harder" material to take it slower as it it also "harder" on your drill bits.

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/showLine.asp?GroupID=4900&Path=::386::4900

That type of bit can be used w/ glass drill (looks like drill press, but had tri-pod feet and is designed to be placed on top of sheet of glass to drill hole in it. Note: you need to keep drill bits cooled while drilling or you will ruin them. -- ditto for diamond "tube drills". You go slowwww, when cutting to not get break-out in back. There are special supplies for cutting holes into glass -- putty to make a "well" around hole to be drilled so that you can put a "coolant" in it to keep the bit cool. You can use the same technique on tiles before final installation, rather than cutting holes after install. If you don't have the heavy weighted rings with seals (like CRL sells) to hold coolant on surface, you can use plumber's putty (harder to clean off). You can get small quantities of the coolant from stained glass shops -- ask for the coolant for "glass grinders" (dilute as per instructions on bottle).

If they change their website, try main link below and follow links:
http://www.crlaurence.com
>sealants and tools
>tools for cutting and drilling
>crl glass drilling tools and accessories

If you can't order from them, and you really want that type, you may be able to get a glass shop(window glass, not stained glass) in your area to either sell you one order one for you when they place an order.

--Mary

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America