Our main database server went down this morning

Our main database server, "king", went down this morning at around 9:45am Central time. I was able to do an automatic switch to one of our backup secondary servers and so there was absolutely no downtime. The site was very slow for a few minutes, however, and there may be periodic slowdowns until I have the main database server back online.

dave

Because of a lengthy complicated reason, you may have a lot of threads show up on your homepage that don't actually have new posts. Please just visit those threads and then they will be cleared off.

dave

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

I thought something was wrong. On my homepage it has 78 updatedwatched threads now. I know everyone of them hasn't been updated. I'm having to go through them one by one to get them off.
~Lucy

Southeast, TN(Zone 7a)

Again, it may be totally unrelated, but the site is faster right now (for me, anyway) than it has been in several weeks. Any correlation there?

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep, that was puzzeling to me too,
Thanks,
Sidney

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Dave, how do you know when you have a problem with this site? Do you sit at the computer desk 24 hours a day? Do you have a bell that goes off to notify you? LOL
I know you have other administrators that help you. Just wondering what the behind the scene operations look like.
Linda

I'm still doing all the administration work myself. There may come a day when I get some of the folks in Boston to assist, but that day hasn't come yet.

I have lots of monitoring software that I've written over the years that alerts me when there is a problem. It's not a flawless system, but it's worked pretty well. I love that the data is always safe and when the master database server went down, we didn't lose any data and weren't offline for any time at all. It's a testament to the power of Linux and MySQL.

Dave

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Oh goll---I thought someone was stalking me, I had 18 threads to re-view. Bwahaha! Glad to know it was just a mix-up.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Whewwwwww...thanks Dave..I thought I was going absolutely mad..I had 63 watch threads show up just now and thought OMG...people are replying to those old posting..LOL...you are so wonderful to us...hope it's not too bad to fix..hugzzzzz...It sure is hot in Texas today!!..Jeanne

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I just finished clicking on 287 threads. :) I'm certainly glad it didn't pull ALL of my watched threads to the surface.

Southeast, TN(Zone 7a)

OMG and I though almost 60 was a lot to have to click! LOL Nevermind... ;o)

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Oh my gosh I am lucky and certainly not as busy as others---I thought 18 was bad---but then having my computer glitching here it takes me twice as long right now. =(

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

No problem! Thanks for your diligence.

(Zone 1)

Wow! I just logged on and have 74 updated threads in my Thread Watcher! I DON'T WANT any of these to show up on my home page. So .... I have to go into each one to get rid of it? What a hassle! ..... But, I guess I should count myself lucky, huh? JoanJ had 287!!!????!****

guess I shouldn't complain, huh?

I feel for Y'all in Administration .... bet you will be getting hit with lots of e-mails today with this problem. Well ... would love to chat, but I guess I better get busy and delete all those threads I don't want to watch!

:) Smile ..... and, Have a Great Day Everyone!

Just thought I would leave ya with a Sunset Pic I took a couple of years ago on the West Coast of Florida:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

No biggie! Thanks for letting us know what's happening!

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

Ditto that, Dave. I thought I did it to myself by clicking on the wrong thing somewhere.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

lol On the bright side, I went to my Threads Watched section and removed more than three pages. I realized I've never cleaned up before. I hope that helps to save some space on the server?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Dave. You are the King of quick responses and everyone appreciates that.

June

(Zone 1)

I've learned a little patience today! Sometimes I need that little "wake up call" to remind me that Life is too short to let small things bother me. It didn't take all that long for me to delete the threads I didn't want!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Hmmm...cleaned out my list, but now this is appearing at the top of the page:

SELECT t_threads.tid FROM t_threads LEFT JOIN thread_watcher ON thread_watcher.user='kaperc' and thread_watcher.tid = t_threads.tid LEFT JOIN thread_hits ON thread_hits.tid = t_threads.tid AND thread_hits.user = 'kaperc' where t_threads.end_date > thread_hits.date AND t_threads.tid = thread_watcher.tid;

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Dave - Is this message at the very top of my Home page related to this?

SELECT t_threads.tid FROM t_threads LEFT JOIN thread_watcher ON thread_watcher.user='langbr' and thread_watcher.tid = t_threads.tid LEFT JOIN thread_hits ON thread_hits.tid = t_threads.tid AND thread_hits.user = 'langbr' where t_threads.end_date > thread_hits.date AND t_threads.tid = thread_watcher.tid;

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I had 96 updates, but 4 were in green at the bottom of those so I knew which were new!

The funny thing is we had a thunderstorm go over close, so I logged off and unplugged the telephone. Once before when I didn't it hit the computer and switched it off, it took a while for the internet server to work again. All my watched items on ebay were juggled, but that could be sorted.

Oh well, here goes............

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

lol jinx!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow opened daves and there is the thing posted above and all my watched threads i had unwatched. hehe

glad its not me.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing too...so it prompted me to check this forum. I am so glad I've made this forum as part of my favorites :)

Greensboro, AL

Yeah. I have the message also. I deleted the watched threads by clicking. I assume if Dave wants action from us, he will post here.
Yes? No? I do not understand the message.

(Zone 1)

hee hee ... Now I'm getting that weird stuff at the top of the home page too! Ain't electronic's fun?

I feel for Dave & Co. trying to fix all this stuff and having to listen to all of us whine about it too. :)

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

If anyone has a lot of threads to click on, like I have!, I discovered all you need to do is click on the link, let it start to load, then click on home. Do a few, then refresh the page, you will see they go.

It won't work if you do it too quickly, as long as you see the blue bar just starting to load it works!

(Zone 1)

Yep ... that's how I deleted them!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for that suggestion, Wallaby. It made it much easier to get though my 90 threads. I didn't click on home in between though, I just clicked on another thread.

Lansing, KS(Zone 5b)

PHEWWW!! I thought I had a hacker stalking me for a second! LOL! ;0)

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Like everybody else I was wondering what was going on, when I got on and had 606 watched threads show up. Thanks for the update Dave.

mystic, I saw your huge list and I cleared it out for you. In fact, everyone with more than 100 new threads had them automatically cleared by me just a few minutes ago. If anyone has more than 50 and wants me to clear it for them, just let me know.

dave

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

OMG, I only had 14!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you Dave. I thought it was going to take me all night to clear them. :)

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I had 49 I think. I looked at one and poof! the rest were gone.

So much for being stalked. heehee.

Thanks for fixing this so quick Dave,
Molly
:^)))

Happily :-)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

maybe this is a really good thing....DG has been real slow for several days.....if we all clear these, we might be able to upload photos,etc. faster..............
Here i go!!!!!!

That's the silver lining to this server crash: I'll be building a new server and this time I'm getting the fastest SAS/SCSI 15K RPM disks and 8G of memory. The new database server (hopefully to be installed in Dallas late at night June 26 and 27th) should prove to be extremely fast.

dave

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for fixing that for me Dave. I'm feeling very loved here!! :)

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images