-
AuthorContent
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #3606473

Hi all! I just discovered this forum, and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I live in New Orleans (Uptown), and pre-Katrina we had some wild parrots around, and after the storm they've multiplied like crazy. We've got bunches around the neighborhood now. In particular, they like this damaged tree that's in the yard behind ours; Katrina stripped the leaves and killed the branch, so they can see far and wide. What we'd like to do is lure them closer- not to trap them of course, but just to watch them.

We've put out a larger feeder with parrot food, fruit treats, etc. Any other suggestions would be truly appreciated. I even talked to the chick (har har) at PetCo about this, and she looked at me like I was crazy. "You know, we sell those birds. You could walk out of here with it right now and not worry about those wild ones..." lol

If you want to see more pics, I've got a bunch on my blog- http://noteworthyinnola.com

Thumbnail by TessC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3606621

They're Monk Parakeets.

Resin

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #3606656

You gotta give the "pet store chick" credit for trying to sell you one. Good employee! That is funny.
I know lots of people have these as pets, but I like to see that they are wild and free someplace. What a great experience you are having.
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3606660

Exactly; they're definately Monk Parakeets/ Quaker Parrot.

According to the research I'd done about the breed, they're known by both names, and there's lots of info about the pet variety of these birds, but other than their probable origins, not a lot about the wild variety.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 12, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3606661

Tess,

How fun. What you might try is to put the food in the tree first. Let them get used to it being there and knowing that you won't threaten them. Then start moving it slowly to where you can observe them better - they just might follow the food.

Quaker parrots are communal and will build amazing nests if allowed to - a lot of people consider them pests, but I guess it depends on the circumstances.

The thing with parrots is patience and gentleness - did I say patience? lol

Check these links if you haven't seen them already:

http://www.brooklynparrots.com/

http://www.quakerville.com/

http://www.quakerville.com/WildQ/index.asp

I'd love to hear more about your experience with them. Keep us posted!

Kathleen
A parrot mom.
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

June 12, 2007
5:44 PM

Post #3606721

This morning I got a shot of one of the wild parrots that live around here. Story is a pair got away from a beachside pet shop over ten years ago and started breeding. Whether that is true I don't know, but there are a total of around a dozen in a flock that roam around this area.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #3606753

Thanks for all the info, Kathleen!

Unfortunately, I cannot get to the tree- the branches are well over the 2nd story rooftops, and the tree is in an 'unfriendly' neighbor's yard. (I'm on the board of the neighborhood association, and when the police showed up to ask questions about the mother beating on the toddler, they decided that either I or the association reported them. If I had known, I would have! But alas, I didn't know, so it wasn't me.)

So I have to work from within my yard, which is surrounded by a 10ft high wall. I've been asking around, and someone told me where a bunch of them keep their nests, so I'm going to wander over there and try to see it later on- it's supposed to be quite a sight!

I'll see if I can find a wider shot of the tree, but for now here's a bunch of them on the wires.

Thumbnail by TessC

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #3606766

Here's one of the tree; you can see the apex of the roof behind it to get an idea of the size.

I think they like the view because they can see what's headed their way- there are a few hawks around and it's my understanding that they'll hunt the parrots.

Thumbnail by TessC

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #3606774

wow, your parrots look a lot different from ours- much deeper colors- beautiful!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 12, 2007
6:24 PM

Post #3606875

Neighbors...don't you wish we could choose them? The only other thing I can think of is to raise your feeding station on a pole in the middle of your yard so they notice it. Now this will sound crazy, but you could also put a stuffed quaker toy in the feeder like it is eating. I don't give up easily! lol

We put a photo of our our third bird on the wall by our other parrots and talked to it while she was in quarantine. When she moved in to the house, they were ready for her. And our littlest bird talks to pictures of birds of his species in magazines. Parrots will often react to stuffed birds.

Otherwise, just enjoy them where you see them and be thankful you don't have the mess right in your yard! :-) I remember seeing a tree that had to be removed because of their nesting - the nests weighed hundreds of pounds.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #3607084

Quoting:there are a few hawks around and it's my understanding that they'll hunt the parrots

They'll try, but without much success - parrots in general tend to be long-lived, and hard for predators to catch

Resin
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 12, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #3607159

Gardenpoms might be a Blue headed Conure.

Tess do you also have a bird bath in your yard?

From another parrot Mom.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 12, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #3607239

Resin, I was going to disagree, but you're probably right. We hear about hawks around here taking parrots - even small dogs - but we still have flocks of feral birds. Many pet birds have clipped wings or don't know how to fly. These feral birds, though, have grown up being chased and I'm sure are better equipped to survive. I remember our TV weatherman saying his African Grey had been plucked off a wall in the garden by a hawk - while he stood there helpless to stop it.

Unfortunately, our pet birds still have the instinctive fear without the confidence and get very nervous when the hawks are hunting. The shadows they cast when they go over the house are huge. My husband was out in the yard the other day and a hawk nearly dove into the ground within 6-8 feet of him trying to catch "something." DH is over 6ft tall, and the hawk was not in the least deterred.

Pelletory, I think you're right - the beak and white eye ring are clues. http://www.petstation.com/bcconur1.html
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

June 12, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3607318

I have a rescue Quaker. When a retired fireman discovered one in his backyard he called me as he knows I rescue pet birds. Apparently it was someone's pet because it was very friendly and talked, although not as distinctly as some parrots. That was five years ago and I still have it. In KY it is against the law to sell them as they eat crops when let loose.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 12, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #3607447

Yes I think there are a number of states where their illegal. I believe Pa. is another one of those..
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2007
11:19 PM

Post #3607822

I'll have to be extra nice to DH before talking about the pole thing...lol...

LOVE the stuffed parrot idea- I was actually thinking that I could download parrot sounds from the internet and play them back by the feeder. They're so loud I'm sure they'll at least hear it. (Actually, that's one of the things I told the pet store woman- could be why she was looking at me so strangely. ;) )

As far as the hawks, I've seen the parrots startle and quickly vacate the area when they're around, but thankfully I've never seen the hawks with caught prey of any variety. That's one mess I *really* don't need in the yard.

I do have a hanging birdbath- I'll get a shot of it in the morning and you can tell me if you think it's big enough for them. It's hanging on the biggest crook we could find- we have cats, and occasionally they get ambitious and jump at the chickadees.

I've got to go to the Ace Hardware tomorrow, which is across the street from where they nest. I'll try to get a pic of that, too.

And thank you, thank you for all your input!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 12, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3607885

Broadcasting sounds is an interesting idea. What do pet store people know, anyway? lol

If you have water of any kind out, it's probably enough for the little fellows, but can they see it? We noticed we get a lot more birds to our baths if they are fed by drip so that the water moves. It can be as simple as hanging a bottle with a tube so that it drips in the bath. Not sure how much quakers like water. I've seen a hummingbird bathe in a dewy rose, so they don't need much if they really want it, but they need some sort of attraction.

I'm enjoying your adventure. Can't wait to see the nest.
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3610008

Got a few pics of the really huge nest- it's in/on/around a broadcast tower on Magazine Street. It's hard to get an idea of the size, but massive would not be overstating. I'll have to go at dawn or dusk to get detail- it's just too hot & hazy for the camera to get detail at this distance.

I edited a closeup- black and white at least shows a little more of what's up there.

Thumbnail by TessC

Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #3610077

I just discovered this thread - fascinating!!!!! What delightful birds - please keep us posted on your success in luring them to your yard.

Sorry about your neighbors - wish they'd take the child away from the mother before it's too late. Happens all too often.
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #3610132

Whooops! Forgot to post the closeup! Must be time for that 2nd cup of coffee...

Thumbnail by TessC

gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

June 13, 2007
3:19 PM

Post #3610157

What a tremendous nest! Surprised but pleased it has been left there.
Murmur
Whidbey Island, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3610230

Wow - amazing!
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3610233

The tower they've adopted? It's for radio for the blind! I think sometimes they wish it was for the deaf (okay, radio for the deaf doesn't exactly make sense, but c'mon, it's funny anyway... )

They're a nonprofit organization that reads newspapers, books, even grocery store circulars so those who can't can stay up to date. Somehow, I doubt people who'd go to all that trouble would harm the nest. (Or at least really hope not!)
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

June 13, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3610281

I meant I was surprised the higher powers have not torn the nest down from the tower...hopefully it is not hurting anything and will be left intact. Yes, they sound like great people who probably enjoy hosting the parrots. Wonderful shots.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 10:49 AM
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 13, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #3610326

Oh, dear, I do hope they can leave it there without damage to the tower. We can only imagine what they look like in the wild - tree after tree with these huge nests in them? Wow.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 13, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #3610348

Holy Moly; that is some nest!
Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #3610367

Huge!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3610666

Can't see that being left there much longer - it makes the tower a hazard, as a storm acting on the extra weight and wind resistance could easily bring the whole tower down (and also a serious fire hazard in a thunderstorm). It is probably only there because, being a charity without a lot of resources, they probably can't afford to get someone up there to do the clearance. But they won't want to get stuck without a transmitter, either.

Resin

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #3610931

I was wondering. Are these guys noisy? I would think they could create quite a racket. Some nature sounds are soothing, then there is this baby crow out in the woods that sounds like a mad baby, complete with temper tantrums. It is actually funny. (because we cannot hear it from the house)
What do they sound like?
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

June 13, 2007
7:15 PM

Post #3611020

Yes, they are very noisy.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 13, 2007
7:19 PM

Post #3611028

Here you go - http://www.brooklynparrots.com/2005/03/brooklyn-parrots-speak-out.html

All parrots are noisy - the more, the noisier. These guys seem to chatter and squeak a lot. It doesn't sound bad to me, but then, you should have heard my girls this morning! Sounded like they were being murdered - but they were just playing and talking loudly to each other. Well, they were screaming to be honest. :-)

KyJoy and I cross posted - I take it you have personal knowledge? lol I wouldn't want that nest parked over my house, that's for sure.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2007 12:20 PM
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3611037

LOUD LOUD LOUD...lol... I found this on youtube, but I think it was shot from some distance away, because they're considerably louder than the tape shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmFEje9fFqw

cpartschick

cpartschick
Gladwin, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2007
7:24 PM

Post #3611041

LOL,
Everyone who visits here says how quiet and relaxing it is...I say what? I can't hear you over the geese, birds, jays, frogs, owls, blue heron,etc. They laugh and say its a different noise. We do have to sometimes shut the window on nature, to get some sleep. I still prefer geese honking to cars!
Kaperc...sounds like you have your own personal wildlife!
smkennedy
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 13, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #3611060

On a related subject, I recommend the movie "Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill", a sweet documentary about parrots in San Francisco.

Susan in Minneapolis
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3611078

I'm not horribly motivated to work this afternoon, so I decided to call the radio station and ask them how they felt about it.

They said that the nest has been there for years, though it's now much larger than it's ever been, tho of course the birds had to start from scratch after Katrina, rebuilding like the rest of us.

The woman I spoke to seemed generally unconcerned about the added weight to the tower and said she's sure it's been checked for stability when they service it. She said she didn't know for certain, as she's not in charge of that, but management is happy to have the parrots around, so she assumes they're not putting undo strain on anything.

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #3611088

Susan- very sweet movie, although I was a total wreck at the end...
kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

June 13, 2007
7:51 PM

Post #3611128

Quakers make good pets and can be taught to talk, however, I wouldn't want more than one. Mine is in a cage with another rescue bird, a ringneck. The quaker's name is Polly although he is a boy. He is the leader of the flock (I have seven birds presently.) When they need seed or water he hollers, "Polly wants a cracker" and squawks until you come see what he or one of the other birds needs.. If one of them needs water, he has taught them to knock their water bottle down. Very smart bird.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 14, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3612161

You have to admit - they are cute little fellas (and girls!). Of course, I'm a sucker for parrots - there's something to be said for feathered friends that greet you every day with an enthusiastic "Good Morning!" and don't care how your hair looks. lol

Cpartschick, yes, we do. And I agree about geese vs. horns, too! We have a peacock nearby, another neighbor has geese and chickens, and across the road there is a donkey; every time she brays I smile. :-)
mrw31
Metairie, LA

January 14, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #4399056

I found this thread by accident. I have a thread on the Bird Watching forum about the monks in Metairie. I see nests all over the area and have recently attracted them to my bird feeders in the backyard. I love to watch them interact in the flock - talk to each other, warn each other, preen each other, etc. It's fun seeing them wild. I assume you live around the Garden district since you mentioned Magazine. I've seen the parrots in the French Quarter -- on Royal Street nesting in the big palm trees across the street from the police station there.
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #4421377

I'm in the Irish Channel- the wrong side of the tracks to the Garden District...lol...

Can you give me any tips? What did you do that caught their interest? I've been really busy and haven't been playing with different treats, so if you could give me the inside scoop, I'd be thrilled!
mrw31
Metairie, LA

January 20, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #4426627

Hi Tess -- I didn't do anything really special. And from the time I saw them in the crepe mrtyle tree until they came to my feed -- about 4 months passed. I think they ran out of stuff to green stuff to eat and started on my feeder. My feeders are in the middle of my backyard -- normal seed mix (penningtons is ok - 20 lb bag at winn dixie) is what they came down to and seem to like. I think if you have to be on their "route" to be seen in the first place -- I get a lot of birds at my feeder, especially now that its winter. Maybe they saw the activity and took a shot at my place. The more I look around, the more I see the parrots -- if you know what they sound like, you'll hear them first before you see them. Good luck!.
eustatic
New Orleans, LA

April 3, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #4748631

Thanks you two for posting about New Orleans. I'm a TA at UNO where we have been conducting undergraduate field surveys for the feral pet parrakeets.

Here are a couple of haphazard survey maps of their nest locations in the past couple of years.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=k&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106960675667875346255.0004434db99f5ea3610bd&z=11

John Sevenair
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=k&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106960675667875346255.000449ab72a76bceb0224&ll=29.97516,-90.124283&spn=0.156432,0.350189&z=11

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 3, 2008
11:17 AM

Post #4749761

Wow thats alot! Thanks eustatic!
jeannola
New Orleans, LA

March 24, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6312409

TessC and eustatic -

I just discovered a group of these wonderful birds at a park on the riverside of Napoleon, a few blocks past
that great little Italian restuarant that has been there for ever and heading toward Claiborne. There is a palm
at the back of the park, close to the playground, and the birds nestled into it. AMAZING.

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill is one of my favorite movies (I am a social worker who works with homeless
people).
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 24, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6312426

That is great work your doing Jean!

We have the Monk 's here in NJ in several places.
wbbirdwoman
Woodbridge, VA

March 24, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6312935

Kaper, I know what you mean about parrots. My dog's groomer has one that's always singing, "Happy Birthday, Jo!" whenever I go into her home. It tickles me to hear it. I've never asked her (though) how she feels about it. Know what I mean? LOL
ernie1
Kenner, LA

August 24, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6983462

Tess there is a large colony of Quakers on Fleur de Lis in Lakeview. Their nest are on the towers at the entergy sub station proably three or four of those large nest. If you take Harrison to Fleur de Lis turn right its about two blocks on the right. the nest are much closer to the ground.
2000miler
Metairie, LA

October 13, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #7165870

Last winter I did a census of the Monk Parakeets in the Greater New Orleans area in an attempt to get the Louisiana Birds Record Committee to include the Monk Parakeet on the Official Louisiana Field Check-list. The result of my census was 2,253 Monk Parakeets in the area and the Birds Record Committee still did not put the Monk Parakeet on the official state list.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

October 13, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7166005

Welcome 2000miler! Do you know their reasons for not doing so? I would be interested to know them.
mrw31
Metairie, LA

October 20, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #7189976

I still get upwards of 30 parrots a day spending time on my feeder -- one big flock and a couple of smaller groups. They come from Mike Miley in Metairie playground. The playground took down their nests at least twice already and they came back pretty quickly. I also have two escapees that seem to fly with the parrots -- a little blue parakeet and a cockatiel. Just a note on hawks -- my local Cooper's Hawk has no trouble with parrots - saw a parrot get picked off my bird feeder by a hawk.
mrw31
Metairie, LA

October 21, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7191529

Not a great picture but all three parrot types in one tree -- cockatiel, parakeet and monks. The cockatiel is the second bird from the top on the branch.

Thumbnail by mrw31

mrw31
Metairie, LA

October 21, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7191534

And the little parakeet took wing!

Thumbnail by mrw31

mrw31
Metairie, LA

October 21, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #7191562

Feeder with a crowd on it.

Thumbnail by mrw31

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

October 21, 2009
10:13 AM

Post #7192693

Wonderful shots mrw!!!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7193419

love the crowd!
2000miler
Metairie, LA

October 22, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #7197704

In response to pelletory's question as to why Louisiana's Bird Record Committee (BRC) would not put the Monk Parakeet on the official state bird list:

The chairman of the Bird Records Committee wrote:

"We spent over an hour discussing Monk Parakeet. We were
about to take a vote, but it was fairly apparent that the vote would not be
unanimous and, somewhat embarrassingly, no one was sure whether the voting
outcome should be based on a simple majority versus a 7-0 or 6-1 in favor as
would be necessary for accepting an individual record. As far as we can
tell, all other such species additions or deletions from the state list have
been unanimous. So, as soon as we come to a consensus on the procedural
matter, then we will go ahead and vote."

That was last March and I don't think they have discussed the procedural matter yet. While they talk about a simple majority versus a 7-0 or 6-1 vote, their bylaws, which govern this, only need a simple majority vote to be changed.

Besides this, I suspect Louisiana's BRC, like some other BRCs, have one or more members who are referred to by the typical birder here as No Introduced Species snobs. Since the Monk is an introduced species, they will never vote to place it on the list unless it spreads across the state so much that it would be embarrassing not to list it. This was the case with the listed Eurasian Collared Dove. I don't think this will happen for the Monk, considering that the first record of it in Louisiana was in 1972, and it hasn't spread out of the Greater New Orleans area.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

October 23, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #7199787

Thank you!
PaulSales
Westwego, LA

September 20, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8110509

Hi, I found where some of Westwego, La Wild Parrots Nest!
http://www.bertaut.com/Parrots.html

There are many of them around here!

Paul

Thumbnail by PaulSales

PaulSales
Westwego, LA

September 22, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #8115422

All of the Wild Parrots were out tonight down the street from me were they nest!!
http://www.bertaut.com/Parrots.html

Thumbnail by PaulSales

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

September 23, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #8116012

Nice pics Paul!
mrw31
Metairie, LA

October 7, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8142431

I still get upwards of 30 visiting my bird feeders every day in Metairie. I heard someone say "you're looking at the new sparrows".

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8333621

World Parrot Count
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1151858/
bacarney
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8337033

http://www.monkparakeet.com/jmsouth/nests1.html

I thought you might enjoy seeing the photos of Chicago's Hyde Park Parakeets--the birds kept Mayor Harold Washington company.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8337554

STILL boggles my mind that parrots can survive this cold!
gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

January 31, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8339992

Me too!
mrw31
Metairie, LA

February 6, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8357212

Smart birds that nest in trees - rather than in microwave towers or light installations. I still have quite a few at my feeders.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8361576

Hi, I just noticed this thread...when I saw the title, I thought, 'No, that can't mean New Orleans!' I was born there, (lived in Metairie) but moved away as a child, and haven't been back for over 25 years, unfortunately.
My sister and brother-in-law are going down there for vacation soon. I will tell them to look for these amazing birds!
Arlene215
Avondale, LA

July 7, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8677988

I live in Westwego, LA, off Central Avenue, and at the electrical substation on Central is a huge colony of monk parrots. They have established several huge nests within the metal tower structures, and the community is huge. This morning I had the thrill of seeing about 30-40 of them on a lawn of a home across the street from the substation. It was just amazing to see all those parrots on the ground. One was so fat, it made me laugh. They are large and healthy, and just amazing birds. I owned one once for several years, and loved it as if it was another child. They are so full of personality, so humorous, so very loving and affectionate. I LOVED THAT BIRD!!! Never knew if it was a male or female, as they look the same. I kissed it so much, it made the kissing sound. Warmest beak too!!! So, each time I see one of the parrots in my neighborhood, I'm thrilled. To know they are thriving in our area is such a joy to me. I look for them everyday. Love seeing them. Also love seeing the wild rabbits along the thickets on Hwy. 90 on the way to work in the morning. Arlene Muller, Westwego, LA Resident

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8678081

Arlene, you're so blessed to have such a wonderful memory of such joy. I don't get to see them here, but I can imagine it'd be so wonderful to see them in flock.
LeslieInKenner
Kenner, LA

October 11, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8845500

They're everywhere, they're everywhere! I live in North Kenner, and they all over the place. I've owned parrots before, so I knew it was a parrot when I heard them. There is a huge nest on Power Blvd. near West Esplanade that you can miss. It's very noticeable in one of the electrical transmission towers on the neutral ground (median). I just checked google and I can't see it but it's there, and has been there well over a year now.
Franntown
New Orleans, LA

April 13, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9080996

Pre-Katrina I would see a flock of parrots in the oaks on the Canal Blvd neutral ground at I-610. I haven't seen them since. Yesterday I spotted three parrots on Canal Blvd. near the railroad tracks while I sat at Lakeview Brew. They flew into a Bradford Pear tree in the neutral ground in front of the coffee shop.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America