Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dawndelie
Carlsbad, CA

June 12, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3606920

Has anyone had luck growing herbaceous peonies in zone 9? I live on the coast in zone 9, and I ordered a bare root sorbet and bowl of beauty. Can anyone who has had success growing peonies in zone 9 give me some tips?
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3607071

There was a guy on here called Calistoga (from Calistoga California) and he grew a lot of peonies. He made sure that the roots were just into the ground and that the eyes were not covered by any dirt. You might try that... You might also do a search for him and see if you can find any of his old peony threads...

Diann

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2007
3:09 AM

Post #3608758

I don't have experience but one grower I visited told me his friend has much success growing them in southern CA. He said the trick is to start with at least 5 eyes per plant, plant only early bloomers and he chopped them all off the end of Oct. to let them go dormant. He said they need dormancy more than cold, to produce next year's flowers. They start putting out new growth in Jan. and then he starts watering them again. Hope this helps. Steve in TX has lots of peonies too - check with him and good luck! Here's some reading for you... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/697805/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America