Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: moonflower seeds please help

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 6, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lilkitten

June 13, 2007
3:33 PM

Post #3610225

i soaked my seeds like it said to do .now which way should they be sat in the ground? they haven t sprouted any thing it looks like it might be getting roots .do you stick the part with the hole facing up or do you put it down like other bulbs can you help me out ? thank you ...sherri
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #3610466

You don't need to worry about it at all. The plant will figure it out all by itself. Its called geotropism. The roots will automatically grow toward the earth. And phototropism is the plant automatically growing toward the sun. Big words, eh? Good luck with them.
KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
1:00 PM

Post #3655726

how did you get the seeds?? I LOVE moonvine! I have a friend with a pl;ant, but how is it propogated?? there are big spoiney ball shaped things on the plant, but his hasn't actuall flowered yet. So, are these new buds for flowers or seed pods?? When can I pick seeds off and can I plant this year right away or need to wait until next year?? I want this plant, it opens so nice at night! Can someone give me the propogation rules for it??? thanks!! :)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2007
12:13 PM

Post #3664251

green spiny ball things now would be flower buds. I love these too, like a lot of others. Ithink you're in a warmer place than MD to have buds now. After the flowers will be seed pods. Leave them on as long as possible til they turn brown and dry. There will be a few seeds in each, hard as a rock and cream or brown colored.
Here is zone 7 and it dies over winter. If you have cold winter you save the seed inside till next spring. Then you should try to crack it and soak it then plant. I soaked a dozen seeds this year but only one swelled up as if it had soaked up any water. I cracked them by tapping them with a garden tool till I saw a little crack in the 'shell'
Just for fun you could cut a piece of vine and see if it forms roots in a cup of water. I have never tried that but will let you try it for me : ^) If it does, plant it and you just might get your own flowers this year. Good luck!
KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2007
9:07 PM

Post #3724766

thanks for the reply to my moonvine post! I haven't been back in a couple weks! Went away to our place in VA! I am in NJ so MD is actually ahead of me in warming up, but I think we are both zone 7 (7a, 7b) I will wait for the pods to dry up and get my seeds picked, he promised he'd share!! I have morning glory and soak the seeds each year before planting in the same manor, so, I'm looking forward to next season and looking for seeds to plant for the rest of this year, my garden centers close by don't have them in their seed racks :(.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3725371

ps my DD recently went to Ocean ity NJ with a youth group trip. Nice place
KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3727308

yes! Ocean city is a wonderful place to go relax and enjoy this time of year. It's actually a "dry" town so if you go to a nice B & B there remember before you go over the causeway to the island to grab a nice bottle of wine to enjoy with the sunset! I am actually in Ocean County, about 45 min to an hour north. Right by Long Beach Island and Seasise Heights. Both vacation spots with lots to do in summertime!!! Born and raised a Shore gal!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America