Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Transplanting Tomatoes and Peppers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tybubbies
Toledo, OH

June 13, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #3610853

I apologize if this is a dumb question, this is my first garden. I live in a ranch style apartment in Ohio. I have a small garden on the outside of my patio, I planted Tomatoes(Roma, Hybrid Cherry, and Beefsteak), and Peppers( Banana, Red, Green, and Jalapeno), and onions. My husband and I now have an opportunity to buy a house. Is it possible for me to transplant them even with buds, and some small fruit? I have put a lot of money and work into them, and would hate to lose them. Does anyone have any advice?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #3611027

I f the tomatoes an peppers are under 2 ft tall, you should be able to transplant by using a shovel and taking a large root ball, minimum size fitted in a 1 gallon pot. You will have some shock and probably lower your yield but it can be done. Larger plants can be done but probably not a practical approach. Onions I would not bother with.
tybubbies
Toledo, OH

June 14, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3614068

Thank You,
I appreciate your help. My peppers, and Roma Tomato are under 2 ft. The cherry is at least 3ft. Even if I only can keep a few, thats better than nothing!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #3616034

You could also root cuttings from the tomatoes. That's supposed to work pretty well. That way you'd still have something if the larger plants were too stressed by the transplant.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 16, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #3620739

I would give your plants a good water, I mean soak them, then once the water has been taken up a bit, dig as much root as you can, get them into the bigest container, EACH one in a seperate container, and go for it, maybe if you can, do it about a week before you move if it is poss, do it now and look after them till you move, then they will have a chance to recover a bit before they travel, keep them outdoors while they recover and feed them tomatoe feed, dont bother with the onions unless they are edible size, once you move home, you will have to keep the plants in the containers as I dont think they would survive another transplanting, what do you have to loose, if you leave them in the ranch, you wont have them anyway, if you do take them, for the journey, it would be better if you can pack them in large boxes and gently lay some shredded paper or lightly crumbled paper around the plants to stop them from shakeing about and dropping the fruit and flowers, good luck and many happy gardening years in your new home, hope all your dreams come true. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America