Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: WHAT bit/stung me??

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 18, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #3612236

I was sitting on the ground pulling weeds when all of the sudden my thigh burned. It was worse than a bite but not quite a bee sting. I looked down to see a bug with I think three sections, could have been two. It was black with three legs on each side and had antennas. The rear section was curled up in the air like a scorpion does and had orange down the sides. I'm sorry I didn't get a better look before I sent him to his maker!

The bite/sting, looked like it took out a piece of my leg and bled a bit. Then it was followed by swelling like a mosquito bite. I'm still alive. LOL
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3612403

Gee badseed Thats horrible experience!! Sorry to hear that!! Go to page 3 in this forum , I believe the 5th bug pic down... See if that was what you seen...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #3612452

Hello Iris!

I just looked at every critter on page 3 and didn't see it. The fifth post is some caterpillar? I'm still looking.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3612504

After doing some quick searching and looking at some pics, I think it might have been an Assassin bug! The description of the "fang like mouth leaving a nasty bite" sounds about right. LOL I'll have to looks some more.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #3612522

Hmmm, I wonder why it's not there for you, I know it's on page 3, but, anyways, I do believe it ís' an assasin bug Will this help... ( Hope I did this right) ...
http://bugguide.net/node/view/4309
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3612537

Hi IRIS and Badseed

Each of us can set our preferences for a different number of posts per page, so if they're set differently it won't be the same for different people. That's a good guess Iris, I could't think of anything... probably no scorpions in Ohio of any consequence.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #3612563

Thanks so much for the up-date claypa, I didn't think about that at all. I hope there are no scorpions in ohio, Or my area, Those things give me the willys!! LOL!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #3612576

Good catch on the settings Clay! I had forgotten about that. I have my set high for the number of posts per page.

That is definitely my bug! And it does hurt when they get ya! I looked at it for a few minutes trying to figure out if it bit me or stung me and assumed it was the rear that got me the way it was curled up. I guess that is a defense mechanism!

I actually googled "ohio six legged bug sting" to get my answer. It's funny to see what combination works. LOL
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #3612589

I'm glad you know what it was badseed, It's a horrible feeling when you get bit/stung by something and you don't know what it is.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3612613

Well, I wasn't feeling too bad about it until I started reading about them. LOL Feeling pretty glad I don't live in South America right now. Ewwwwww.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #3614295

Are they worst in South america, I haven't really read up on them. Hopimg I don't get bit/stung, I'm always siting on the ground picking weeds too or putting plants in.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2007
3:50 PM

Post #3614311

One of the sites I read actually said the assassin bugs there can inject bacteria that causes a bad disease. Here, found it! http://www.exn.ca/Bugs/AssassinBugs.cfm
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #3614356

OMG!! Thats scarry!! Thanks for the link!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3631487

Unfortunately I found a third one! I got a pic this time too! LOL (The second got crushed like the first. This one got to live because I was busy.)

Thumbnail by Badseed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #3631498

Here is a picture of it's lovely "fang like mouth". I still have a scab from the one that bit me!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #3633278

Yikes-Scarry!! Looks like the like to hang around the daylilys too!
tmbolin
crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2007
8:01 AM

Post #3644339

Chelle, please keep these icky things in Ohio. Never seen one, don't ever WANT to see one! Sorry about your bite though. My moto: Squish first ask questions later

Tina
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3645161

LOL Tina! Generally if they don't bite me, I leave them be. I try to figure out what things are before I crunch them. Luckily I know what lady bug babies look like cuz they are are ugly! And some of the lovely butterfly babies that DON'T eat everything in site. LOL I have to constantly tell myself (most) spiders are good bugs, just creepy. I'm allergic to bees which makes gardening a great career but I try to avoid them. Posting a picture of a tussock moth kept me and the kids from playing with one yesterday. I don't really like "bugs" but I'm working on it!
tmbolin
crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3650191

MY head knows that logic but its just a knee jerk reflex. I see a big, bad(or not) bug and I either run or squish. I just can't help myself. Maybe I should join Bud Murderers Anonymous!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America