Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: white spotty things on branches? what are those?

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 5, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CricketCreek
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #3612612

Hi everyone!
I have white spots - almost look like things are growing in thrm on my rhodies - what are they and how can prevent them from damaging my plants?
thank you!
Lauren
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #3612685

Do they look like these Mealybugs?

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&ie=UTF-8&q=Pseudococcus%20longispinus
CricketCreek
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3612721

possibly - i'll try to get pics up tomorrow
thanks clay
UUallace
Cincinnati, OH

June 15, 2007
12:19 AM

Post #3616049

Sounds like Azalea Bark Scale. There are lots of Google Images. I don't remember if they are insects or not. They dig in and the legs fall off. Nitrogen encourages them.
This is a thread from The Azalea Society of America.
http://www.azaleas.org/index.pl/archives/May_2001/msg00031.html
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #3761976

I think that UUlace is on the right track. There is azalea scale in which cottony 1/4 -1/2 masses can be seen on the bottom of the leaves at one stage and in spring you may actually see the insects crawling along the branch ends and hiding on seed pods and along end branches. later on near Summer you can see small yellow spots on the leaves where the insects have sucked the leaf juices out. Malathion can be effective when you can see the larvae moving along the stems. but for long term control you can use a drench of Orthene in Spring( read the directions and apply carefully) at the base of the plant where the roots extend to. This is a systemic insecticide which is taken up by the entire plant and seems to give good control but takes a while to be effective ( month or more)
There is also a Maple leaf scale which invades azaleas and has similiar effects and can be controlled in the same above ways
Still a 3rd possibility is Lace bug which gives a black sooty deposit under the leaves but no yellow spots on the leaves. Again the controls are the same
CricketCreek
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #3762118

You win the prize - it was scale. Luckily it looks like a drench of some soapy water, a good spray and Neem oil have been successful so far. I'm an organic nut and darwin-based - if it cant survive it will be replaced!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America