Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Brugmansias: Who are Brug growers?

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 28, Views: 399
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2001
2:04 PM

Post #10212

I'm curious to know about the people who make this group so wonderful.
I saw this somewhere else, not sure where, and it was interesting to see who, what, where, etc..
I am married mom of 2, 15/10, my dh has 16 yo twins..all boys.
I'm a waitress, hes an otr truck driver now after retiring from the seabees (Navy) last year.
I'm not asking for life stories, or personal stuff, just the normal banter that you would know if you knew this person in real life.
Hope this works, lol
Jen
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2001
2:31 PM

Post #106856

Removed by member request

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2001
4:43 PM

Post #106900

I'll go next,who knows when I'll get back to the 'puter. I'll be celebrating my 14th annual 29th birthday in November,I am married (2nd x) ,and we are celebrating our 1st anniverary on August 10th. I have two grown children ,My daughter is 22 and my son is 19,in the Army and stationed in Hawaii.(You would think that would be a good thing but he still hasen't sent me a plant from there.)I also have two adorable grandsons. I drive tractor trailer for UPS so I work alot of weird hours.We have 4 acres on Oneida Lake in central N.Y.,and we raise poultry for showing.We also have 2 horse's ,12 peacocks and a 4 year old Blue and Gold Macaw who thinks she owns us.We have 2 ornamental ponds and 4 gardens.And yes,I am a plant addict,but thankfully I married a man who loves plants as much ,sometimes more ,than me.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

August 7, 2001
5:06 PM

Post #106907

first, trish have you checked your hotmail? my regular email isn't working again, gonna have to get a real server.
my kids are 13 & 16, both athletes. the dh does OTR too, but a relatively decent schedule. CC, a lot of my favorite people were born in november, have a knack for scorpio best friends, daughter is one, son would have been had i not talked the dr into the earliest c-section date he would do. i went plant nuts 2 years ago, brugs being my current passion with old roses and butterfly/hummer flowers. if my body does wear out and i get the irs paid off will have my own 6 acre botanical garden someday. traded plants this am with a lovely woman i met on the internet, about 30 miles away.
i have met trish, robin, sylvia, norma, regina and now maryann on the net who are relative neighbors, some just a few miles away, not to mention those at the trades who are great folks too, judy, pat, mary etal. and the Brugman.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2001
5:16 PM

Post #106913

okay, :) I'm medically 'retired' (can you say quit) from the post office (9 yrs) and then cake decorating (2 yrs).
My neck couldn't handle either. I have 4 grown children, 3 boys and a dd, and 2 grandchildren with 2 more on the way and will be married 20 yrs in November to the greatest guy I know.
I'm fixing to be 46, don't know how that happened, love Christian hard rock and my garden.
Hope to catch the area's eye with my brugs next year and maybe make enough to support this new habit:)

This message was edited Tuesday, Aug 7th 1:23 PM
Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2001
5:37 PM

Post #106923

My turn...55 years old..lord I'm old. Married 38 years..same husband. We have two children..son 36 sargent on the Biloxi Police Dept and daughter 31 works in finance.
DH retired from the Army and Air Force Exchange Service(military Bx and PX but he wasn't military).Since his job required us to move every 2-3 years we have lived in Europe, Asia and US. We now live in the Gulf Coast area of Mississippi and are loving the heat and humidity...Korea was nice but it was cold. I have been gardening for a very long time but am still learning something new everyday. This group of people are the greatest... hope one day to meet some of y'all.

Gloria
PS: forgot to mention I have 4 Grandchildren ages 16-3.

This message was edited Tuesday, Aug 7th 1:39 PM
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2001
7:47 PM

Post #106976

this is great!!!!
tig, i was reading your posting and came to "fixing to be" lol..i had to look to see where you were from...uh huh...shes a southerner, lol
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2001
8:13 PM

Post #106998

Hi All, today is my 42nd birthday, I have one daughter-10 and have been married 23 years.
We have a doberman-Wally and a collie, 3 cats, 2 chinchillas (w/babies now) and a Goffin's cockatoo named Elliot. I've been growing brugs for 3 years now. My first one was Jutner orange, which is hardy here in the ground. I also have a few datura that we grow from seed and one that is a perennial.(I think it's called a moonflower).
We own commercial greenhouses, 4 of them. We specialize in perennials and grow 55 different kinds of Hosta. We just planted thousands of fall mums. I grew 8000 brug cuttings last spring for a landscaper in Georgia, boy that was a job!!
This is so funny, my DH was an OTR driver for Smith Transfer till they went out of business. For a while I drove with him when he worked for an independent company, now we both stay busy with the greenhouses. My daughter even grew her own "crop" of flowers this spring to make extra money.
Calalily/Susie
Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2001
10:11 PM

Post #107056

Calalily,
"Happy Birthday"
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

August 7, 2001
10:29 PM

Post #107070

My DH took plants to tennessee once, did a mega trade with lisa who lived about 20 miles from where he spent the night...i tried to get him to do some more for me, but he said he didn't think it was legal.. still trying to get him to like working with plants.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALA!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2001
12:45 AM

Post #107143

I actually saw that 'fixing to' just before I hit the button, but if I was talking to you, that's what I would have said:)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

August 8, 2001
1:23 AM

Post #107168

Calalilly,
Wow, 8000 plants...lets see-close to 20,000 seeds were the most Brugmansia I ever had...and I never germinated over 10,000. Out of the 10,000 I germinated...only roughly 500 + were planted in the ground and another 100+ in pots that year...looks like you have more than just a small hobby going on Cala...bought some Tea tree oil from Wal-mart via someones suggestion on here...does anyone know where one could purchase 5 or so gallons of that neem oil? I haven't been able to find neem oil around here... As for actuall plants to maturity...I can only dream...
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2001
2:30 AM

Post #107213

Brugmansia
Try contacting the American Rose Society, they buy the neem oil in large quantities. A company named "Greenlight" usually has the highest purity for the best price if you buy retail.
Cala

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2001
1:51 AM

Post #107724

I'm married to a great farmer,(27 yrs).. but believe me, he is no gardener..LOl, We have one daughter and she is 23 yrs old, married and in OK City, she's going to graduate school at the UOK..Up until about 5 years ago, I farmed with my husband and his brother..Now I stay home, keep my 3 yr old niece,(since she was 3 wks old) 5 days a week..She will definitely be a gardener. She already loves it.. I take up about 5 of our farm acres for my gardening..Hubby keeps teasing me about taking in more & more of his acreage..
I am an avid animal lover and have for as long as I can remember in my 45 years rescued strays and taken in anyone or anything that needed a home.. I have all spayed or neutered..(just the animal one's)Hmm.. I carry bags of dog & cat food in my truck to feed dogs I see that have been deserted and if they just look hungry..As of right now I have...
5 dogs, 5 cats, 1 squirrel, goats, ducks, chickens, geese, fish, bird's, lizards, mice, rabbits, pigeons, and who knows, by tomorrow..LOL..If it can be grown, I will try it.
This winter a pair of lizard's that came in with my plants blessed me with 3 little babies, we had the best time watching them grow all winter and they were taken out with the plants this spring, they are regular sunbather's out on my deck where I have lot's of Passion vines.. I have natural pond's that I enjoy very much..We love the wildlife of crane's, heron's and the deer and other's that visit us very often..We live the country life and wouldn't have it any other way..Come south and we'll show you Southern Hospitality and for sure, feed you! LOL
Larkie

TIG...I fixing to go now..LOL
I understand "Fixing" very well..

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2001
11:57 AM

Post #107830

Larkie the Lizard thing got to me.When my son graduated from boot camp in Febuary,my husband and I went down to Ft.Benning to see his Graduation.(I was so proud that my DEVIL child finally did something positive with his life) Anyhow I loved Georgia so much that when the graduation was over and we we heading up to Charlotte to see my sister and then on to Rockingham to see the Nascar race(had to do it) we had a few xtra days and deceided to take the back roads through Georgia to the coast.We never made it to the coast cause We kept stopping to look at the Flora and Fauna.Any how ,I have this strange attraction to spanish moss.Down some back road there was a ton of it hanging off the trees close to the road.I pulled over ,filled a bag up with it,(I know ,bad ,bad ,bad,stealing plants)I couldn't help my self.Any how ,when we got to the hotel I found a better bag for the moss.I pulled the moss out of the bag and suddenly felt something crawling up my arm.I am afraid of nothing-except spiders.Well it was dark and my first thought was-theres a large tarantula crawling up my arm and I'm going to die!!!I go running into the hotel room and see this beautiful lizard sitting on my arm.My DH was laughing soooo hard. He wanted to come home with us ,I know he did, but DH said NO.I love them.And the world need more people like you taking in the strays.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2001
1:11 PM

Post #107885

LOL...
Crestedchik, That's a cute story.. (stealing plants)is that not legal? lol.. I'm sure glad the lizard wasn't one our "bad snakes", that do like to hang out in trees.. My husband has a fit everytime a new critter comes here..I always swear that I'm gonna find it a good home..After 27 yrs., he knows that just isn't gonna happen, not in this lifetime. He carries on for awhile and then he just resigns himself to one more of whatever being around, having to be fed and more vet bills..My Mama reminds me often that no one else would ever put up with me, I know she' right, but I cannot leave something out there that has been abandoned or I know is hungry and needs medical attention. Things you rescue from danger, starvation or any situation like that seem to cling and become the most faithful pets in the world..I'll just keep on, keeping on.. They seem to find me more than I find them..lol, I'm just as bad where plants are concerned..I hate to see them neglected or thrown out and I take them in also and "fix em up"..Hubby just shrugs every time I come in with more plants, and grins..He's even brought me quite a few out of dumpsters that he finds when trucking out vegetable's to some of the large grocery chains around here. I've gotten some nice plants like this, once they recover..
Larkie

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2001
2:00 PM

Post #107907

Larkie ,I musta married your husband clone.My husband is the same way.Just shakes his head at every neglected animail,and plant I sneak in the house,every store we go to I go the trashed plant section that has the 1.00 plants and bring them home,some I save !!Had 20 stray cats up in the barn ,was feeding them,but no one would come out to give them rabies shots so had to get rid of them(some were feral cats -MEAN)We couldnt take a chance of the other cats (strays that are frendly)getting bit by the mean ones.We live on a dead end in the middle of no where ,and city people come out and dump their unwanted pets.This year hasn't been too bad ,only 3 strays,but all unfreindly. Rabies is a big problem here.2 of my neigbors got bit by a fox while trying to save their dog from it .they shot the fox and it tested positive for rabies,so they had to go thru all those shots,thats when DH put his foot down on the strays.so strays have to be freindly for me to take them in now.So I can get them to a vet for rabies shot.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2001
2:33 AM

Post #108303

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2001
9:05 AM

Post #108382

OK ,OK ,I won't steal anymore spanish moss.You southerner's don't want this dumb yankee in your woods stealing mossies that you don't want .So you teach all kinds of ickeys to live in it and scare the *#"* out of me.LOL ,So I wasn't too far off ,panicking like that ,thinking that I was going to die from fright and a spider bite.I'll just have to offer someone plants that someone down south really wants and THEY can fight the spanish moss guards.Really,the only thing that would have scared me is the spider.Snakes don't bother me.Neither do bats.And what are chiggers (dumb yank)
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2001
11:15 AM

Post #108405

irish
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2001
11:23 AM

Post #108412

well MzMunchken thanks for my morning laugh
hward
Hattiesburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2001
3:37 PM

Post #108548

Well here goes folks--I am 54 and married to the same nice guy for 35 years. Have a son 34 and daughter 33 and an airdale named Snickers. (Going to be a grandparent for first time in Jan.)My husband and I live in a historic home which was built in 1880 that we have been working on for about 25 years. We like to do a lot of the work ourselves. I buy and sell antiques and collectibles and recently started selling Brugs to local markets and through the web. I have a passion for brugs and gingers, but have a soft spot for Alocasia, Colocasia,Xanthosomas and crinums.Even though I live in zone 8, about 90 miles from the Gulf Coast, I am trying to turn my back yard into a subtropical garden. Would rather dig a ditch than clean house!!
Barbara
irish
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2001
4:53 PM

Post #108588

I guess I'll be the frist guy I am 50 years old as of may 5th. I am a welder/Pipefitter at a shipyard in tampa. been living in flordia for a little over two years grew up in ohio and lived 17 years in ma. just married my third wife march 17 this year she is why I'm in florida now, fell in love on aol...bought this home last july and it came with about 5 brug about 8' tall been in love with them ever since
now working on getting the back yard into brug heven. no kids just a golden reteiver and a cat. never thought i would like florida until I started living here. I guess a good wife makes all the difference also having a few brugs helps

This message was edited Friday, Aug 10th 3:33 PM
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2001
1:45 AM

Post #108809

Here goes..I am 50ish and a young grandmother of 4. Been married to the same fellow for more than half my life. We 'semi-retired' to the country on 39 acres a few years ago and just love it! I spend most of my time gardening and ponding...not to mention mowing grass! Of course, I have to get my DG 'fix' several times a day! DH enjoys his few Angus, catfish pond, ducks and is also a school bus driver.He does help me with the hard yard work, ponds and is learning all the names of plants.

We have an old grumpy cockatiel,a tabby cat, a Lab/grayhound mix, and a 1yr. old chocolate lab/mix, my special needs dog who was born without eyes.

I saw my first Burgs almost 2 yrs. ago at an aquatic nursery I was visiting with my pond club...they were huge! Of course, with all the other exotic plants surrounding the many ponds, no one had a clue as to what they were. But, I found out, and now am hooked! I am so tickled to be here with all you nice gardeners and Brug lovers!!

Jean
CindyB
Carlinville, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2001
2:07 AM

Post #110034

Hello to all I'm new here. I live in central Illinois, about 70 miles NE of St. Louis with my husband and two teenage sons. We built a home out in the country 12 years ago - the kind of place we always wanted with loads of space around us and especially cottage borders around the house, a big vegie garden, recently a big several acre pond, orchard and all that kind of stuff. My husband is an attorney and raises English Pointer hunting dogs for a hobby while I busy myself with the garden. I work for ExxonMobil as the Information Systems Coordinator for my affiliate here in Illinois.

I bought my first 2 brugs from White Flower Farms as cuttings several 5 years ago and then added a variagated leaf one last summer. I raised those first ones outside the first summer, overwintered them, next season they grew to mammoth trees, cut them back and overwintered them, back out and last year I called Uncle and took cuttings and pitched the main plant. Amazingly those 6" cuttings from last fall are now 6' lovely plants dripping with those ever so heavenly blooms - one is a golden yellow and the variagated one ('Sunset') is a coral/peach. I am hooked - that fragrance on my deck right now is just amazing. Glad I found you all - I'm amazed at all the interesting varieties there are...!
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2001
2:19 AM

Post #110036

Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2001
6:04 AM

Post #110124

Welcome Cindy..you will just love this gang of Brug lovers..they are kind and caring people..but don't tell them I said that. :)

Gloria
Sharon
Midland, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2001
12:09 PM

Post #110197

Let's see, we (being hubby and I, two cats)live in the northern region of zone 5 where I try to press the limits on what I can grow.
My first love of course is my family, daughter 36yrs, son 33yrs DIL and our first grandbaby!!!
Second love is roses, LOL, I seem to have an addictive personality, 3 rose bushes grew to a rose garden now filled with well over 100 roses, but who's counting?
I love to travel to garden shows and I guess that is where the brug madness started. Can thank my Canadian friends :)
have gone to Canada Blooms for a couple years now and have seen the most beautiful Brug tree there. Immediately said I had to have one!!! Well a two year search ended this year with two small brugs gracing our home. Two?? well of course that wasn't enough.
Many thanks to all of you here, I am learning each day and have come to love the brugs!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America