Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Buckets for market

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 11, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2007
10:00 AM

Post #3613414

I found a couple of on-line wholesale supplier but since I've just started taking cuts to farmers market I don't want to sink a lot into a case of florist buckets until I build a good client base.

For anyone that does cuts for (farmers) market,what do you use for your cuts? I want something with straight sides or just a hint of a flare.I'm using regular pails from Walmart to take out to put my cut directly into as I cut them but I don't like the cuts leaning that much. I was looking at paint buckets at the hardware store because they're straight sided but too shallow.I make my bouquets up then transport them in glass vases in a big laundry basket but for safety reasons I'd like plastic containers for market. but I'd also like to offer bundles of one of a kind cuts so people can pick their own flowers to make their own bouquets too.French flower buckets would be wonderful but then we're back to case prices.

Another lady brings big sunflowers that she put's in a big square plastic tub w/ a wire egg basket turned upside down in but she drives a truck and I drive a Hinda Passport so I don't have that kind of room.

P
trillium612
Portage, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 16, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3619893

Dollar stores are a great place to get buckets. You can get some larger than the gallon paint/ice cream bucket size in nice colors too that will be alot more attractive. Grocery stores and bakeries are great places to get buckets too. You may have to clean the bakery buckets though. IIRC the icing buckets are a really nice size shorter than a 5gal and just a bit smaller. When we first started I worked in a bakery so I used lots of those!! We also took square storage tubs and cut holes in the cover. These work great for mixed bouquets as you can keep each one seperate and have fewer broken stems. then customers can grab the bouquet they want without sifting through a bucket.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2007
11:55 AM

Post #3621270

trillum,
Great suggestion especially the one for the bouquet. That'd keep the presevative solution from slopping out in my Honda while transporting too.

I'll check w/ our local Brookshire's bakery.

P

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 24, 2007
11:13 AM

Post #3651698

I made flowers buckets out of some bakery pails. They held some kind of icing. I would guess around 2 gallons. They say net weight 23#.
Anyhow, I cut 8" lengths of PVC pipe, 2" inside diameter. Stand as many as fit in the pail. Put one bunch of flowers in each pipe. They stand nice & straight. I do the same for glads, but use 4" pipe & 5 gallon buckets. The ones for glads, I glued the pipes together. They liked to tip sideways.
I took small bunches of flowers yesterday. 5 or 6 stems to a bunch. One variety to a bunch.
Sold for $1 a bunch. Also took Asiatic lilies, sold for $2 a stem. I had 5 buckets full, sold out! Most people would take $5 worth. It ended up about same price as vendors selling premade bouquets.
People really liked picking their own flowers.
Bernie
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3651742

Bernie,
I was thinking of taking seperate bundles of flowers to the market too. Do you offer any types of fillers (tiny flowers such as baby's breath and greenery)for them to use in making their own arrangements?

P

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 24, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #3651886

So far not.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
9:18 AM

Post #3655368

Bernie,
thanks for all your advice.

P
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6157798

Hey P. you could try asking at the local McD's or other burger joints for their Pickle buckets.. Up here they used to give them away free short of tossign them out. They generally are 5 gallon, green with a paper label so that comes off easy enough
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6297202

Well, fakes or real...these puppies work.. and of course you can use your creativity to hid the lovely container!

just had to throw this in! *G*!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Franklin, TN

October 23, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #7201520

About 30 years ago someone gave me a homemade bucket that is perfect for taking to the garden to cut as well as to transport flowers in the car. And it deals with shorter stems than the pickle bucket. It was made by soldering 3-64 oz. juice cans together with a sturdy upright loop handle that will not fall over and crush flower heads. The three part structure keeps small bunches upright. After so long, it has begun to spring leaks and I continue to look for a comparable design, perhaps even in heavy plastic, but have found nothing. any ideas?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #7202742

That sounds like an interesting homemade bucket you got there. I have lost many a flowerheads to a bucket handle falling down. Wonder if a glue-gun would work in place of the soldering?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7208587

2255, do you have a photo of the old clunker? Perhaps if we saw it we could put our heads together for a design.?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America