Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

How to prune or revive overgrown, leggy wave petunias.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Today, I bought two lovely, leggy wave petunias. What should I do to revive them and make them bushier. They are stretched out well over 16" in all directions, leaving the middle empty.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

I have cut mine back to about 6" from the crown about this time of year (I just did some of mine yesterday), they always come back strong!

David

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

gloria and david...thank you for this topic and solution....mine are looking REAL bad; i repoted some today to see if it will help....i may have start wacking away at them

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

One thing I told Gloria in dmail that I should probably mention here....if you have some nice flowering stems, leave them be while you cut the others back. That way you'll have at least a few flowers left!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

now you tell me.....(grin) i went ahead and totally wacked one pot down...i was so sick of looking at them so scraggly....the other one i didn't have the heart to do that too....it still had too many blooms....

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Cut them back, fertilize, and stand back, they will come back bigger and stronger, with better blooms than ever. I do all petunias this way, and I have never failed to have a healthier, sturdier plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.