Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Lady-bugs vs. Mexican Bean Beetles

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #3615714

Other than Lady-bugs being red and Mexican Bean Beetles being orange/copper color...is there any other way to tell the difference?
I've got a lot on my corn but not sure what to do because I'm not really sure which ones they are.
Of course I would want to keep them if they were Lady-bugs, but...
And if I determine that they are Mexican Bean Beetles, how do I rid them with no pesticides?
Any advice?

By the way for those of you who are beginners like me, I've found a terrific way to get rid of the Japanese Beetles without pesticides...just squash 'em between two leaves! Voila...no more! Not to mention a wee bit of satisfaction :)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3615746

If you look at the two side by side, the difference are readily apparent. The Mexican bean beetle is also larger. If they on corn, most likely lady bugs. The adult bean beetles seldom show up in great numbers as one can lay thousands of eggs and it is those larvae that do the damage.

Squashing the beetles reminds me of the thirties, when the high watt radio stations like WCKY in Cincinnati Ohio, use to blanket the east, playing one 78 rpm record, then pitching some fabulous product ( send in your name and address and $1.98)playing another record ... One of the products was a product guaranteed to kill potato beetles. A local fellow sent off for it It promptly came, two tongue depressors with instructions. Place beetle on paddle A and squash with paddle B.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #3616084

Thanks again, Farmerdill !
Wow! The 30s...all I know about the 30s is that it's btwn the 20s and the 40s...lol. Is that when they had the mule drawn plows, with the drawbar and you wrapped the reins around your waist?

Actually, I do remember my Grandfather telling me about a car called the Bobtail Speedster. I think that was the name. It was supposed to be one of the most stylish and prized cars of that time. Did I get that name right, Farmerdill?

Thanks again!
Hugs,
Pinger
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3616191

Biggest poinst, the great depression and the dustbowl. Ther were still folks who relied on animal power, but tractors were coming on fast. Tractors had drawbars,. with horse and mules you used a single tree for one , a double tree for two. An nobody in his right mind would rap the lines around his waist. I had a team of horses run away with me and the haywagon when I was twelve. Shortly after we got a 1929 John Deere GP and I have never wanted to work a horse or mule since. Steel wheels did rattle your bones on hard ground tho.
There were a lot of of fancy cars in era, but the working cars were Fords and Chevrolets with a few others seen on occasion. Had a neighbor who was partial to Willys. the fancy ones I have only seen in Museums. Hudson Terraplanes were the terror of the territory but there was maybe one in the county. Packards and Pierce Arrows were used by undertakers in the city. and I knew a fellow who had one of the 36 V-12 Packards, but that was 10 years later.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #3617438

Love the stories! When I bought my house, I was told that the original cabin (long gone) was built with logs brought in by mules, and I have a mule barn (which the cows are eating) in the back :).
Is there a website that anyone knows of to help me identify bug eggs? I'm seeing copper colored ones on my squash leaces, and I've been, uh, dispatching them. Don't want to squoosh them if they're goog guys, or something that I'd wan to protect...
Margo
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #3617503

Lady beetles - http://davesgarden.com/bf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=lady+&searcher%5Bbugorder%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&Search=Search&offset=20 Mexican bean beetle http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/4160/ Potato beetle http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/175/ cucumber beetle http://davesgarden.com/bf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=cucumber+beetle&searcher%5Bbugorder%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&Search=Search Japanese beetle http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/47/ Flea beetle http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/1/
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2007
2:00 PM

Post #3617836

catmad:

They're squash bug eggs. Also look for the juvenile ones which are lighter in color and smaller than the adults, but otherwise look just like mama and papa.

This entry has a photo of the eggs:

http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/82/
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #3617871

Thank you!! I'm back up to get them all removed. My squashes thank you very much.
Margo
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2007
8:06 PM

Post #3619066

Farmerdill...
Of all the beetles you listed, are they all bad pests except for the lady (bug) beetle?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3619095

All are pests, except the Ladies. Some are worse than others but it depends on the plant and conditions. They are common beetles that all vegetable growers will fight at some time or other. Bean beetles deadly on beans,but don't usually bother anything else. The Colorado potato beetle usually confines itself to potatoes. Cucumber beetles especially the striped can take down cucumbers, squash, melons watermelons etc. Damage from the spotted is not as obvious, but they also vector viruses that kill. Japanese beetles can decimate a lot of vegetable and fruit crops. Flea beetles caused a lot of damage early in the season, most deadly on eggplant. These are the ones that eat tiny holes in the leaves that look as if they had been shot with shotgun.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 16, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #3620473

Hi Guy's Lady birds are red with black dots on them, black heads too, you can get orange ones also but all have the black dots and heads, they are quite cute if they land on your hand, when they take off and open there wings, the underside is also black, if you have them, you should try keep them, loved the stoies Farmerdill, you remind me of my late Dad talking about the good old days, it is good to know some things dont change though, like ladybirds etc, these old boy's knew what was good for the soil/plants etc, and nothing was wasted, there was a use for everything. Happy Gardening. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America