Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Bees/Wasps/Butterflies

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 4, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #3618244

Monday I hung a butterfly feeder (see pic). Butterflies have come within 4-6' of it, but not eaten at it, as far as I know. But, yesterday a wasp found it - and from the way it was eating, wasp meals must be pretty few and far between. Several bees have come near it but not landed on it (just like the butterflies). Now you know that I *love* feeding the bees, and the wasp too, it bothers me not at all. But am wondering -- can the three share the feeder or should I put up something separate for the bees/wasp and hope they eat there? TIA! jo

Thumbnail by jio1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #3618297

Bees and butterflies tend to avoid those feeders when there's ample nectar flowing. In my experience, they primarily attract wasps and ants this time of the year.
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #3618741

Wow. Ok -- so maybe I should take the feeder down until early/mid fall? Or when?

Thanks so much for the help! jo
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #3618853

I've never seen any bees or butterflies on mine when I put it out and it was in the middle of a garden designed with both butterflies and bees in mind. Butterflies seem to like slightly rotted fruit, so when I put that out on the feeder, they'd stop by for a snack once in a great while, but the wasps and ants were much more prevelant. If they even go for that, it might be when the nectar flow has slowed down and they start to get desperate. Unfortunately, that's also the time of the year when the jellow jackets get more aggressive. Maybe someone else will see this thread and give you different news.
jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #3620002

Well, I *do* appreciate your advice - the fruit I've put out dries out before it can rot so I try to at least use *really* ripe fruit, LOL! I cannot believe the depths of my ignorance, so any advice is good and especially when it comes from someone who has experience. Thanks! jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America