Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Is this Queen Anne's Lace?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 14, Views: 248
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daistuff
Cary, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2007
12:34 PM

Post #3621333

My neighbor offered to give me some of this and I thought it was Queen Anne's Lace, but when I got up close, those leaves in front are on the same plant. Does Queen Anne's Lace have leaves like this? She wants to give it to me because it has grown so much it's choking out her flowers, so I'm not so sure I want it choking my flowers too...

Thumbnail by daistuff
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3621778

If those leaves belong to the same plant as the flowers then it's not Queen Anne's Lace. I'm not sure what it is, but whatever it is I really don't think you want it, there's no reason for it to behave different in your yard than it's behaving in hers.
daistuff
Cary, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3622171

That's what I thought, too. I'd love to know what it is so that I can tell her more specifically why I don't want it. I noticed that my neighbor across the street has tons of it too.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #3622415

Someone here may come along and know what it is, but you may get an answer faster if you post on the Plant ID forum
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/plantid/all/
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2007
7:05 PM

Post #3622419

That is Snow on the mountain(Bishop's Gout). It is planted on purpose for it's low maintenance use - it spreads pretty fast.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #3622423

I just bought some of this. I was warned it was invasive! I'm going to plant it in an area around my pond that not much grows in so if it took over, that would be fine with me!

I also love queen's ann lace and would love to have some! It grows wild in OR and I tried digging some up and transplanting it, but I guess it didn't like that at all cuz it never took.

Anyway, the one your neighbor has is called Bishop's Weed, Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegatum.'

It blooms in early summer. I believe queen ann's lace blooms longer or later than this bishop's weed. I still think it's pretty, but I still want some queen ann's lace. Maybe I'll break down next summer and order seeds online.

Gwen
daistuff
Cary, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2007
12:36 AM

Post #3623293

Phew! I feel like I narrowly averted disaster! I didn't know about the Plant ID area either, so thank you for that, and I looked this up in Plant Files and think I will tell my neighbor to keep it on her side of the divide! I would love to have some but can't think of any area I could sacrifice, since I'm watching it grow like mad at two neighbors' houses. Thanks again!
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2007
3:44 AM

Post #3624100

I believe there are several plants with the common name of Queen Anne's Lace. This is the most common one for this area.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/74985/index.html
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #3625628

daistuff,

I am gonna barge right in here and give Gwendalou a little advice about wildflowers.

Natives are easy from seed, usually. Collect the seed when ripe, take a good look at where it is growing. Look up and see how much sun it gets, take a look at the soil and see what it is growing in. Take those seeds home, toss them in an area that is equal too where you found them. Trying to grow wild plants in a place that you want them to grow may be impractical, best to grow them where they want to grow.

Coreopsis tinctoria, loves the south, grows everywhere>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

daphnecat
Mays Landing, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #3648760

daistuff: although this plant is really aggresive, I've had alot of luck with pound in edging used to give these plants boundaries.
daistuff
Cary, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3689390

Yes, I do think it's pretty, and I realized I have a 2-foot "island" between my driveway and my house that will be perfect to let the bishop's weed fill in. I've never planted there because it's not very good soil, so I figure I'll throw some compost on it and see if the weed can make it in an otherwise dead space of my yard. Seems like it'll be pretty well contained by the driveway.
EllaTiarella
Portage, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #3708148

It's extremely invasive. I used it years ago (decades ago) in an area landlocked by my blacktop driveway and the neighbor's garage. But I vaguely remember that it browns off and looks shabby toward towards the end of the summer (?). The botanical name is something like aegopodium. It might be okay for small accent areas well guarded by buildings and cement. Control it carefully.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3708214

Hi, all

You might like Ammi better than Queen Anne's Lace.

http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/annuals/Ammi_majus.html

Less invasive and prettier flowers. You can grow it from seed.

Another nice one that has a similar 'look' is dill. A wonderful fragrance for the garden, too.

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/herbs/dill.html

(I've been looking into the various carrot family flowers because I saw some in our public garden--the gardener was explaining to me the differences and warned me about Queen Anne's Lace--a public nuisance plant, he said.)

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #3708251

the bishops gout is pretty nice but boy does it spread so fast i recieved some from my under my neighbors fence. I thought Im going to put some out in my bed boy was it a mistake. Now I have it contained in one area. The writter above is exactly right you can pound in edging very deep and so far its holding it back. You probably have to cut off the flowers before they go to seed and spread huh? I spent hours out there digging it up and do not want it back in that spot good luck. Ronna
daistuff
Cary, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #3708553

Yes, I've been digging some of the Bishop's weed out of the edges of my neighbor's bed (she said take as much as you want, of course!), and it's totally a tangle of roots and runners under the surface. I've been digging up balls of roots and burying them in my patch of bad soil, so either they'll take or not, but either way I've been weeding my neighbor's garden for her! I also told her to cut off the flowers to avoid more so she did that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America