Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Butterfly Attracting Plants with Photos

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 115, Views: 1,172
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2007
9:39 PM

Post #3622796

Well, y'all talked me into starting this thread. It will be very useful for me as well as others I am sure!

And the first plant will be Porterweed! (Re-posting the photo because it seems appropriate.)

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3622807

I believe this cultivar is Stachytarpheta cayennensis (which also goes by the common names as Blue Porterweed, Blue Rat's Tail, Verbena Azul, Cayenne Snakeweed).

I dug up this huge plant and transplanted it to the backyard garden. I gave it lots of water the first 2 weeks and it looked wilted by the end of each day, but perked up within an hour of watering it thoroughly. Now that it is once again established, I don't water it at all. It's very drought tolerant. It needs full sun to flower and very little care. I fertilize with osmocote once or twice a year.

This photo is of it at about 3' tall. It will get between 4-6' tall unless I prune it back. Which I do several times a year. I will be saving seeds from this plant as the spikes mature.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2007 5:47 PM

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2007
9:51 PM

Post #3622819

Hey Becky!! You did it!! Yaaaaaaay!
Love that porterweed.. I have some itty bitty seedlings so far, but I am very optomistic about them.
This is going to be fun, especially for the 'visual' and 'visually impared' people like myself, LOL! It's kindof overcast and been raining a lot, but I will go out and take another pic of Joe Pye, and some other things in just a few minutes.

Thanks for starting this thread Becky!!!

:-S

SALVIA, Black & Blue>

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2007
10:00 PM

Post #3622839

This is another photo of why it is called black and blue. It is supposed to be a hummer magnet too!

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #3622841

Here is one in my front bed that gets ALL the sun and heat. It loves those conditions with minimal watering.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2007
10:04 PM

Post #3622853

And this is what happens to it if it gets too much water and not enough sun. Actually I think the location is okay, I just need to "BACK AWAY FROM THE HOSE!!!". LOL!

Sad, huh? I will stop watering it and it will come right back. I had another one in my front garden bed that I overwatered. I thought I had killed it, but it just recently showed up again and looks larger and healthier than before. The front bed doesn't get much water. Which this plant seems to love those dry conditions.

indiana_lily
Jeffersonville, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #3622886

Ok, well, this one is from last year. Butterfly bush with Viceroy. :)

edited to say oops!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2007 6:29 PM

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

indiana_lily
Jeffersonville, IN
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #3622894

and butterfly bush with Tiger Swallowtail, because I think these are my favorite butterflies. :)

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #3622900

Nice Felicia! Though your first one is not a Monarch but a Viceroy! Nice to see one of those! Great photos! :-)

I see you changed that in your post! :-)

This message was edited Jun 16, 2007 9:15 PM
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #3623006

This Verbena bonariensis, Vervain or Verbena on a Stick, attracts a lot of butterflies.

Thumbnail by fly_girl

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #3623412

Rox - Nice photo! Is that a PVST? I keep hearing about this plant. Would you mind taking a full shot of the plant. I really want to see what the leaves look like and how it grows. Thanks!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2007 9:53 PM
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #3623683

Will do Becky! Maybe I can get some seeds. It tends to reseed easily and come up everywhere, but I like it because of its magnetism lol

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3623736

Blue Mist is a great nectar plant for butterflies.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #3625742

Lovely Verbena Roxanne! I love the PVST pic too!

Sure nuff Sheila! The Texas Blue Mist (Eupatorium greggii) is an excellent flower for butterflies. It is growing like crazy now, and in places where I didnt plant it even. I don't mind that at all now because the bflies love it so much.

I got adventurous and got one called Blue Mistflower
(Hardy Ageratum, Blue Mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum)

this year. It is a woody shrub, and the blooms are a darker, sortof royal blue. I put it in front across from one of the Buddleias. It is still very small and hasn't come close to blooming yet. The Starlings that are neting above my garage stripped the leaves clean. Then I made a concoction with lotsa garlic and all kinds of peppers, (cayenne and jalapeno). I strained it until it was a clear brown tea, and sprayed it on the plants, and now I finally have foliage, :-).
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/103509/

Here is a shot of..
Texas Mistflower
Eupatorium greggii
..which is growing like crazy now. I got them from Paige and Josephine...:-) at the swap last October.

debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2007
5:05 PM

Post #3625798

Here's one for the record books:
Huisache Daisy, Butterfly Daisy, Honey Daisy
Amblyolepis setigera
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/64298/index.html

When butterflies really began coming this spring they all seemed to want a sip of this one. For a real teller you can see a couple pages in my site taken that weekend.
Beginning here> http://www.theletteroflove.com/wallpaper/
keep clicking 'next page' to see all the pages of closeup bfly pics. Click on each pic to see full view.
I sure do love these Daisies!!

Pictured here with an American Lady and a Variegated Fritillary>

fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3625943

I'm loving everyone's pics!
Deb, have to get some of that Mist flower! So pretty!

They all love the Buddleia.

Thumbnail by fly_girl

fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #3625998

Here's a Gf on a Zinnia.

Thumbnail by fly_girl

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3627594

Rox - I would love some seeds of your Verbena bonariensis! Pretty flowers and being a butterfly magnet ... it sounds like the perfect plant for a garden bed!

Deb - I planted some Purple Mistflower, but I must be doing something wrong because I always kill this plant. Too much water or not enough. Not sure where my error is with this plant. Does yours like to stay dry or moist?

Love your Butterfly Daisy plants! Nice photos on your website! :-) :-)

Rox - I now have various Zinnias in my garden and I have noticed more butterflies on those plants than any other in that section of my garden. :-)
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3627693

Great pics, folks...how close is/are your camera/s to the butterfly/ies and how do you get them to keep still?!

Debnes, I sure hope you collected a lot of seed fro your Huisache Daisy because I'm pretty sure we're allgoing to hit you up for some!

Suzy
chris_lcf530
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3627727

I have 2 plants of the Verbena bonariensis. I would love to collect seeds to share and grow. Has anyone ever done these from seed? How? Any special tricks?

Chris
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #3627780

Chris - I'd like to know the same thing. I received seeds in a group swap and planted them, but they never germinated for me. :-(
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #3627893

I have a couple of them that have just started blooming. I received them at one of the RU's. I'll try and save some seeds. I like the way they are so airy, and move around in the wind. : )
chris_lcf530
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2007
3:14 AM

Post #3627955

If I new they were going to be as cute as they are, I woulda bought a couple more. I wonder if they need to be planted in the fall outside or should they be started in the house for spring transplant.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3628041

I can help, but just a little. I started these from seed this year and they are soooo slow, it's amazing. They supposedly reseed like crazy by doing nothing, and I'm sure they do, but since they are so slow growing, half the summer would be over before they bloomed. I heard they reseed like Cleome..once you have them, you always have them, unless you deadhead &/or mulch.

They are hardy perennials we grow as annuals in Indiana. They are premium priced, and I can understand why, now that I've grown them from seed.

However, Georgia, Florida, Texas -- most of the people on this forum --have totally different growing conditions, and since these are hardy to zone 7, it is a whole other kettle of fish.

Here is some info on how to start them:
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/8788/1

Suzy
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2007
8:02 AM

Post #3628416

I grew the VB from seed. Being lazy, I just did wintersowing and up-potted what survived once before putting it in the ground.

Maggie
chris_lcf530
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #3628590

Good info, thanks.
If they re-seed like cleome, I will be very happy. I will move some mulch so they have some room.
These would be great for the roundups.
I will try wintersowing anyway just so I have some more for next year, if they dont re-seed.

chris

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #3630503

The Blue Mist Flower (Eupatorium greggii) is a butterfly magnet, especially a hit with the Monarchs later in the summer. But be aware, it is INCREDIBLY invasive. That's not a problem for me, because I put it in an area where it can spread out for several feet before I'll start hacking it back. Just be aware when you put it in the ground that it will not stay a nice little compact shape -- it will attempt to take over the entire flowerbed.

Carla

Thumbnail by Loonie1

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3637534

Tiger Swallowtail on zinnia.

Thumbnail by Cordeledawg

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #3639275

Hi butterfliers, Great thread and I am enjoying your pics and comments.

A few bits to chime in with:

The Texas Mist Flower (Eupatorium greggi) likes drier alkaline soils. High Country Gardens makes this a point twice in its write up (so it must be true!):

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/50340/

That may explain why mine failed to return last year, too. They recommend the other eupatoriums for Eastern gardens--too bad since greggi seems so delicious to the texas butterflies!

Illoquin, I think verbena bonairienses are easy to winter sow and get going quickly in the garden when the summer heats up. Try giving them some H2O and fertilizer. If you want bushier plants pinch out the stem a la Tracy Aust. Some of mine are perennialized here in Cincy--ours started blooming last week.

Does anyone have a pic of Zizzia? Heard the swallowtails liked it for a host plant...?

Thanks for all the pics.

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3639594

Zizzia? Never heard of that one Michelle.
Eupatorium greggii does well here in South Ga.
I have it in clay next to a pond plus a little garden in my back yard. Heard though that it spreads like crazy. I may have to pull it out of the garden and put some on the NE end of the dry area of the pond gardens.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #3639674

I think I'm gonna try some Eupatorium greggii, sounds like a good butterfly plant. : )
Plant files says that High Country Gardens has it, but I can't find it on their site. Might be sold out, or discontinued.

~Lucy

This message was edited Jun 20, 2007 10:53 PM
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3639699

BlueGlancer, want me to send you a start? It would probably fit in a bubbler envelop so it wouldn't cost too much.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3639874

Sure : )
I don't have any bubble envelopes yet, but if you do, I would gladly reimburse you.
Thanks alot, Cdawg : )
~Lucy
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3639895

The starter plant, Texas Mist Flower E. greggii, will be in the mail most likely tomorrow, Lucy.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3639917

I just love getting presents in the mail. It's like Christmas, I have to hurry home and open it.
(Uh,...I'm lying. I usually open it at the P.O., and then hurry home) : )

~Lucy
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2007
3:41 AM

Post #3639927

Me too! A nice change from bills!
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #3639968

Amen to that. : )
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #3642415

Here is the description for Zizia aptura (Golden Alexander)--a host plant for the black swallowtail, so it says-- http://www.grownative.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=122

I think the advantage of it is that this plant is a fast grower and is still thriving when parsley and some of the other host plants are done in or the cats have eaten quickly through them--I don't really know first hand, I just saw this mentioned on the GW forum...
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #3642437

Tabasco, Golden Alexander is on my list to buy -- along with a bunch of other things.
LOL!
http://www.prairienursery.com/store/index.php?main_page=mag_product_plant_info&products_id=284

It came up in this thread -- ya gotta read to the bottom

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/732213/

Suzy

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2007
9:11 PM

Post #3642449

In reading your link, it's in the carrot family growing to zone 7. Wonder if I could get away with growing it in zone 8a with partial sun to part shade?.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3642521

I am trying to find some Queen Anne's Lace seeds with no luck. I wish that Zizia would live here, but I bet it wouldn't survive our heat and humidity. You're right Tobasco, we need a plant that will last longer than the Dill and Parsley. Around here the Dill bolts and the Parsley just fizzles out. I have 12 BSTs living on Kroger Parsley and Dill right now, they seem to be thriving and growing.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #3645994

Happy Birthday Tobasco...I'm just wishing you one all over the place! lol
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #3646160

Hey!!! Happy Birthday Tabasco!!! Many happy returns.

Suzy
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2007
7:34 PM

Post #3646188

Happy Birthday again, Tabasco!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3646501

Fly- Girl, i can send you Queen Anne's Lace seeds but it won't help you till next year.
I also have Prairie Parsley, Polytaenia nuttallii this one works the same as Zizia.
This is also over for the year.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/85824

Dmail me.
Josephine.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2007
9:20 PM

Post #3646529

Oh Josephine, that would be fantastic!!!

Thank you!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3646657

You are welcome.
If someone else would like to receive them, please send an SASE and I will be glad to do it.
Josephine.
Sorry I forgot to say that I am in address exchange.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2007 5:05 PM
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #3646823

Thanks again for the birthday wishes! I am having a lovely day--out in the garden singing to my butterflies and petting my parsley. Just kidding!

I have some of that prairie parsley. I bought it at a rare plant sale. Can you believe it?! Doesn't seem to grow much for me...
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #3647074

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Tabasco!!!! I hope your day was relaxing and that you got to put your feet up, eat bon-bons, and watch a chick flick! Or take a nice long bubble bath, play your favorite music, and go out to your favorite restaurant for dinner! However you spent your day ... I hope it was exactly what you wanted to do! :-)
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #3647283

Thank you, becky, I had a lovely day--took my son shopping for his job interview wardrobe (kind of fun that he still needs me after all these years)...went out to lunch with him and then returned home to garden for a bit and then a lovely dinner with a delicious chocolat ganache truffle for dessert with DH and son.

And we had Rain!--first time in weeks, it seems! Tomorrow the garden will be revitalized and maybe I'll have some blooms and BFs!
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3647645

Happy Birthday Tabasco..
Great butterfly and flower pictures. Hi Lucy in Wauchula..
Does anyone know if this is a good flower for attracting butterflies & hummingbirds (and name?). I got it in Florida and my aunts called a butterfly plant.
Thanks, Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #3647803

Hi Elaine, in Georgia. (waving) : )
It's a Clerodendrum ugandense (Blue Butterfly Bush or Blue Glory Bower)
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1874/
~Lucy

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3650478

Thanks, Lucy,, am labeling it tomorrow. Waving to you 2.
Elaine (in Lizella) formerly (Wauchula) LOL
terrieurban
Indialantic, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #3650693

Besides the porterweed and penta, my Jatropha seems to be a great nectar plant. My Gulf Fritillaries love it. Look close and you'll see one on the flowers eating breakfast.

Terrie

Thumbnail by terrieurban

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3650749

There was a White Peacock butterfly on these Black-eyed Susan blooms, but flew away before I could get a photo. I have seen a number of butterflies on them, so they must be a good nectar plant.

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3650849

Beautiful plant, Becky. : )
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #3651307

Becky, ever see Silvery Checkerspot butterflies on your blackeyed susans? Isn't that their host plant?.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2007
12:15 PM

Post #3651818

Deborah - I don't think we get the Silvery Checkerspots here in Florida:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1721
Don't I wish!!! That would be just too easy, especially since all the other butterflies are on vacation up North! LOL!

Thanks Lucy! I have a number of different looking Black-eyed Susan plants, but the one pictured above it my favorite pattern of bloom. Believe it or not, I grew these for the first time this year from a Wild Flower seed mix that I got in a group swap. :-) I just love DG members!!! :-) And you can bet I'll be saving seeds from all of them! :-)
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3652525

Great Becky! Me too! I am saving seeds from some browned Butterfly Daisy blooms now. I am testing the seeds to see iof they germinate first.
I also have seeds for Texas Mist, and A. currasavica if anyone wants any.

:-Deb

I will get more pics in here soon, just busy with making a cage today. I will post that later too. Making a list of seeds is also up high in my list of things to get done now.
asafla
Palm Harbor, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #3654377

I really like this Salvia-Forsythia sage. The Hummie's and Swallowtails do too!

Thumbnail by asafla

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #3654410

That's really pretty asafla. I don't think I have seen one that color before,...that I remember anyway. : )
asafla
Palm Harbor, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3654421

Blue- You would have noticed this one...it can grow up to 5 feet tall!

Adrienne
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3654442

Where did you find it? 5 ft works for me. LOL : )
asafla
Palm Harbor, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #3654494

I found it a a Native Nursery in Largo,FL called Wilcox.

It's hot now...but I could chop some and try to send it to you??

Adrienne
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #3654533

I'll just put it on my list of things I want. My list grows every day. LOL : )
I'll check out some of the native nurseries. It sure is pretty.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #3654931

Very nice Adrienne!! That Salvia Forsythia is a lovely sight!

Here is Joe Pye (Eupatorium maculatum), not yet bloomed.. These are all buds, and it is nearly as tall as the 6' fence.

:-Deb

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3654951

Wow, my Joe Pye has a bud forming, and I can't wait. : ) This is my first JP.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3654952

Do they only come in one color?
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
5:55 PM

Post #3656784

Great thread! I'm trying to find some things that aren't already listed. Queen Anne's Lace is a favorite of everything (butterflies, bees, wasps, flies) in my garden! Here is my visiting Great Purple Hairstreak, that seemed to prefer hanging from various positions underneath the flowertop.

Thumbnail by konkreteblond

konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #3656829

Scabiosas are great bloomers and another great nectar source that is always full of visitors, even these night visiting hummingbird moths.

konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3656847

My Duranta's are usually a big nectar source also when they finally start blooming. Funny, the best picture I could find of the blooms was also with a hummingbird moth.

konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
6:17 PM

Post #3656880

Frogfruit is one of my favorites also because it's like a busy world of tiny things! Here is a bloom with what I originally thought was a gray Hairstreak, but later learned it was a "blue". I can't remember what exactly and no idea where that thread is. (Cat, maybe you can help my memory because I think it was a thread of yours)

konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3656886

The Mexican Flame vine is another plant that I must have every year. It's an annual in our area but I learned that new growth roots very easily and can be kept overwinter inside.

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3657123

That's a beautiful vine. : )
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #3657458

Beautiful pictures, Paige! You listed many I had thought about, but didn't have photos of.

I have to laugh about the Frog Fruit plant. It is a weed in my backyard. It is everywhere there is shade!!! I am learning to live with it since I found out it is a host plant for the Phaon Crescent Butterfly. I wonder how easily it transplants? It's such a tiny low growing plant. Your close-up photo is great! :-)
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #3657683

Thanks! :) If I can get to the back of my bed where the vine is I'll see if I can get a piece to start some cuttings. It takes my rubber boots and overall's and bug spray before I'll venture there. lol

Oh Becky, my Frogfruit is very unaware that it's supposed to be low growing! It will get up to about a foot high! I think that's because it's in full sun and improved soil. It's a real trooper.

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
9:51 PM

Post #3657707

Paige, I'm glad you posted that about Frogfruit -- I didn't know it would grow so tall. I've always considered it a ground cover, so was never interested in it. If it will grow taller in full sun, then I have just the place for it in my flowerbed.

Carla
tgif
Starkville, MS

June 25, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #3657757

Liatris works well here. More picts to follow -

Thumbnail by tgif

tgif
Starkville, MS

June 25, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3657773

One of many visitors to the field-

Thumbnail by tgif

tgif
Starkville, MS

June 25, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3657786

And another - there were more but I didn't have enought battery left to get pics. I'll go back over the next few days, with plenty of camera power, to see whose is hanging around.

I also plan to gather some seeds!!!!

Thumbnail by tgif

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #3657840

Ginni - Nice photos! Looks like a Tiger Swallowtail, but can't be sure. Lovely!!!
ctindell
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3657915

One of my first butterflies!!!!

Thumbnail by ctindell

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #3658352

Zebra ST on the biggest Butterfly Bush bloom I've ever seen. Did I guess correctly, ctinmdell?
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3658357

ctindell, you should be very proud to have a Tiger ST as one of your first!! We don't get them here so I'm jealous!
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3658364

Then I missed my guess then, right?
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
1:03 AM

Post #3658404

Oh no! You didn't! A Zebra is exactly what it is! I was thinking we only get Tiger's and that came out. See, I was overcome with jealousy and lost my head. lol

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #3658421

LOL! Got the BF right, Great! Now, I'm jealous over that large bloom! It is a butterfly bush, right? Never seen a pink one if that's what it is!
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #3658429

Huh? .. Nahhh, jes gotta be a Zebra Swallowtail .. kkb !?!
(Have ya been chuggin' some of that fermentin' butterfly mash?) .. heehee .. Merely teasin' you kkb!) http://davesgarden.com/bf/go/176/

And how blessed you are, ctindell .. on your 1st flutterbyes! Know ya gotta be plum thrilled.

- Magpye
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3658438

Woopsies .. pardon and disregard my post up there. .. lol

* Welllll, 'cept the message for ctindell .. of course!

- Magpye

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 8:14 PM
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #3658971

Oh, He's nice looking, ctindell!

I want a Zebra Swallowtail family here at my place sooo bad! I planted Paw Paws -- 2 of them -- in the hopes they like it here. I have seen them, but they are few and far between.

Suzy
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #3659154

Magpye, having some of that butterfly mash might not be such a bad idea! It might just clear up my fuzzy head! LOL!

Carla, I have my Frogfruit planted where it grows around the edge of my bed. It definitely goes over but rarely goes into the bed. If it does I just pull the runners up. It's one of the more simple pleasures in my garden. I personally vouch for it and suggest you plant it!

tgif, that's a nice big field there! Is that yours? I love the Liatris and had one but it didn't bloom long and only lived about 2 years. It was either our weather or something grew over it and smothered it. (You gotta be a quick grower in my bed)

That is a nice big bloom on that BBush. I had a white bush that had long pointed blooms that were 12 inches long! My Honeycomb BB has been covered in Question Marks this year. It must produce more nectar than my purple ones too.

Did anyone mention Coneflowers? They might be my favorite flower. My Hackberry and Painted Ladies love them.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
11:41 AM

Post #3659711

The neighbor's privet was a bf magnet in May this year. I got loads of pictures of Admirals, Emperors, Question Marks, and several types of Hairstreaks including this one. The Great Purple Hairstreak.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #3660711

Does the tiger swallowtail have a bit of blue in the lower part of the wings, above the swallowtail? I can't tell if it does from the photo above, but I'm almost positive this is the one that spent a loooong time supping from my pentas this morning. It was big, with a wingspan of at least 4", maybe 5".
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3660989

Red Admiral on Ageratum.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2007
5:49 PM

Post #3660994

and 2 Red Admirals on Calendula. I was going for the 'Assemblage of Admirals' look, but I only had 2. LOL!

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
6:26 PM

Post #3661161

Suzy, your flowers are wonderful! Love it when I get your seeds in swaps! So that's Calendula. I was wandering what it looked like. Is the common name pot marigold that likes moist soil? Looks like the butterflies love it. The Calendula and the Admirals are on my wish list. LOL
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2007
7:26 PM

Post #3661405

Yes, it's pot marigold in England, but I didn't know it wanted moist soil. ooops! LOL.

If you look at the 2 photos above, you'll see 2 different kinds of Calendula. One is dark centered (no butterflies like it) and one is daisy-ish (that's the butterfly one) I wouldn't call either a huge magnet, but they are used.

I'm planning on harvesting both, so remind me that you want the daisy one later in the season.

Suzy
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #3661421

Ok thanks!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #3661577

I just looked it up - the one you want (from me, that I grow, I mean) is 'Radio'.

I think Calendula officinalis, the species, would be a better bet, but I don't know that as fact. I might give it a try next year to see what the flowers look like and if the BFs like it any better. I have a feeling it is a big green plant with not very big flowers on it.

Suzy
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3661645

I'm trying to encircle my pond with yellow, orange, and red flowers that hummers and especially butterflies like to use as nectar plants. Every flower folks post on this forum, I'm looking it up to see if grows well in my area, what butterflies it might attract in GA and, where I can buy the plant or seeds. The Calendula and the portweed are two that are on the top of my list.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #3661768

Hi biv! The female has more blue, here's a pic on one.

http://kolya.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/pict0051.jpg

Suz, the Calendulas are so pretty, unfortunately they are a winter annual here, they can't handle the heat it seems.

Paige, great plants you have, I think I need some frogfruit...what a funny name.

Sheila, that Great Purple is so cute, love the little Hairstreaks.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3661845

Thanks, Fly. Yep, that's what spent about 10 minutes with the pentas this morning. Then it rested in the shade on an elephant ear. I was hoping it would visit my butterfly basin, but it flew right over it. That was the largest butterfly I've ever seen and a real beauty.

My white and lilac golden dewdrops today attracted a bright orange butterfly I've never seen before.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #3661862

Fly Girl,

LOL! Yes, I know on the heat, but they bloom while the Zinnias are getting ready. At least you've heard of Calendulas -- I've never heard of 90% of the plants you southern folks mention. Frogfruit? LOL. I swear I have never heard of it before, much less seen it, much LESS grown it! (And there is a whole passel of these -- Clerodendrum, Mexican Flame Vine, well the list is nearly endless.)

Suzy

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #3662000

Suzy, I'm a newbie gardener, so almost everything I read on this site is "news" for me. And I am learning so much. Isn't it fun? :-)

Carla
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #3662079

Deborah, Carla, and others - Do NOT buy seeds!!! Many of us NOW have or will have seeds in the Fall. Since postage has gone up considerably, I'd much rather send a Bubble envelope out with a number of seed packs rather than just one or two. Makes it more worthwhile to mail. :-) The last few 6 X 9 bubble envies I sent out were $1.13. You can get a seed pack from Wally World for that much. But I have found that folks here are very generous with their seeds! I get far more in most packs from traders on DG than I ever get in a commercial seed pack. :-)

Also keep in mind that what grows good here in the south, might be an annual or very short lived in the north. Many plants don't have time to set seeds up north before the cold weather hits, so you might need seeds every year to replace plants that died in the Fall/Winter.

Start making your lists now! :-)
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
11:07 PM

Post #3662219

Making my list...checking it twice... How nice! I'm havesting spent blooms right now too. Course, what began as cultivar named plants will now be the genus, species and open pollenated cause the bees have been going to town on my stuff.
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #3662242

Mine are all open pollinated too! Not to worry. If the bees and butterflies like em, then I am sure the seeds will produce good nectar and host plants! :-)
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #3667772

Deborah and Carla - D-mail me with your seed wish lists. I might have some seeds I can send you both NOW. :-)
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2007
8:29 AM

Post #3668535

Hi all- new to the list. I've found one the benefits of being too lazy to get all the figs off the bushes/trees is that so many critters love the rotting fruit.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks

Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2007
8:57 AM

Post #3668538

Beautiful butterfly! I looked on Debnes' website and that butterfly looks just like one of hers. 'Astyanax' Red-spotted Purple Limenitis arthemis astyanax. Do you know if that's what it is?

Rotting figs on the ground serves a purpose, doesn't it? Nothing really goes to waste in nature.
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2007
8:59 AM

Post #3668539

Becky, you've got d-mail!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #3669035

Wow! I'm making a mental note to find some rotted fruit -- great shot, and a pretty butterfly!

Suzy
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2007
1:30 PM

Post #3669177

Oops, I'm sorry, I should have posted what it was. You are correct, it's a Red-spotted Purple Admiral. I was reading again in one of the books that they like "mud, rotting fruit and and animal dung." Since I have a lot of animals, live on a marsh and have already admitted to being a lazy gardener, you'd think I'd be over run with them. ;*>

Jenny
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2007
1:48 PM

Post #3669242

Beautiful photo, Jenny! Sounds like the perfect location where you live for lots of winged visitors!!! Welcome to the forum!!! :-)
asafla
Palm Harbor, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3671330

Incredible shot Jenny! You sound like my kind of Gardener! Enjoy this forum...it's the best!

Adrienne
konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #3675584

Ohh Jenny, we're jealous! Love that RSP!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America