Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Beginner Vegetables: Pumpkin/squash/melon question

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3626232

We have a couple of pumpkin vines growing like crazy. My question is: Will squash and melons also grow well in this area/soil where the pumpkins are so happy?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #3626486

A pumpkin is a squash. Just a specific name for a type. Melons ( cantaloupes, honey dews , Crenshaws ) will have similar growing requirements. Water melons are a bit picky about soil types, prefering a deep sandy soil. Pumpkins and melons will tolerate clay and muck soils much better than watermelons.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2007
8:30 PM

Post #3626506

From personal experience, I grow a fairly big pumpkin here. Water melon did ok, depend on variety I guess. Even fully ripe, my melon won't come close to what available at the market. I guess, the farmers kept their serets of the trade? lol
It's fun, though to grow them and watch them develope at such a fast pace.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3627358

Farmer Dill - thank you for the info. The area I'm looking at is very sandy soil at least a couple of feet deep. I planted a walnut tree up there, and just because I needed some place to plant my daughter's pumpkins, I put them around the walnut tree. They took off like a shot! Yep, Mr. Walnut Tree is going to have some more new friends next year.

Lily: I've never tried watermelon before. But with them at $6.00 each in the market, I'm sure going to give it a try next year. I'll just keep working on it until I find a variety that I like.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America