Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Pumpkin/squash/melon question

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3626232

We have a couple of pumpkin vines growing like crazy. My question is: Will squash and melons also grow well in this area/soil where the pumpkins are so happy?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #3626486

A pumpkin is a squash. Just a specific name for a type. Melons ( cantaloupes, honey dews , Crenshaws ) will have similar growing requirements. Water melons are a bit picky about soil types, prefering a deep sandy soil. Pumpkins and melons will tolerate clay and muck soils much better than watermelons.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2007
8:30 PM

Post #3626506

From personal experience, I grow a fairly big pumpkin here. Water melon did ok, depend on variety I guess. Even fully ripe, my melon won't come close to what available at the market. I guess, the farmers kept their serets of the trade? lol
It's fun, though to grow them and watch them develope at such a fast pace.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #3627358

Farmer Dill - thank you for the info. The area I'm looking at is very sandy soil at least a couple of feet deep. I planted a walnut tree up there, and just because I needed some place to plant my daughter's pumpkins, I put them around the walnut tree. They took off like a shot! Yep, Mr. Walnut Tree is going to have some more new friends next year.

Lily: I've never tried watermelon before. But with them at $6.00 each in the market, I'm sure going to give it a try next year. I'll just keep working on it until I find a variety that I like.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America