Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Evergreen Tapestry Hedge

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 9, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3627398

I'd like to install an evergreen tapestry hedge in my zone 6/7 garden. I would prefer to include a green, a gold, and a red or purple shrub at minimum, if possible. For the green I will use Emerald Green Arborvitae. I'm looking for ideas for the other two (or more) shrub types. The Hedge needs to get to at least 8 - 10 feet in height in order to create privacy. Anyone, anyone?

... I guess I might also want something blue/grey. :~)

Here's one example of a tapestry hedge if you are unfamiliar with them. They are more common in the UK than in the States ... http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2004/__data/page/4211/Hedge3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2004/archives/2004/in_the_garden3/gardening_styles_and_features/tapestry_hedge&h=140&w=140&sz=9&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=t0WtWl6J_gO5lM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=93&prev=/images?q=%22tapestry+hedge%22&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=G

This message was edited Jun 17, 2007 9:29 PM
Equilibrium

June 18, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #3628123

That sort of reminds me of a patch work quilt. Never heard of one before. Glad you posted the photo and links.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2007
10:52 AM

Post #3628517

Somewhere around here I've got another examle of one that I snapped while visiting the in-laws in England. I'll post it here if I unearth it.
Decumbent
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #3629520

I don't know how these plants would react to sheering into a hedge, but here goes some colors:

Red: Physocarpus opulifolius (Ninebark) "Diablo" or "Summer Wine"
Prunus cerotina (Cistina plum or sand cherry)
Weigela florida "Wine and Roses"
Berberis thunbergii (numerous cultivars)
Sambucus nigra "Black Beauty"

Gold: Sambucus racemosa "Sutherland's Gold"
Berberis thunbergii (a couple of cultivars)

Gray: Lonicera prolifera (probably vining, could be used to twine within the hedge)
Some of the other honeysuckles are kind of gray: L. sempervirens and L. x heckrottii.

If you are going for an English look, you might decide to go all in and use European Beech cultivars. They come in all shapes and colors and make great hedges. A bit hard to find though, and slow growing.

The best hedgers of the above, I would guess, would be the barberries, the ninebark, and the elderberries. Barberries are invasive in some areas, so you might want to check that out. Eleagnus species tend to have silver-ish foliage. Most are horrible weeds, but there might be a species or two that are not. I don't know. The vines growing within the hedge might provide additional color, but they might also look like they don't belong there.

Hope this helps.

Scott
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3629671

Thanks, Scott. I'll have to sit down and do my homework - I appreciate your list. I know that I do not want invasives and we want it to get at least 12 - 15 ft. high as it will be installed for privacy; houses are situated very close together here. I still haven't found my photos, but will continue searching.

Thanks again.
escambiaguy
Atmore, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3630360

Golden Euonymus is popular and inexpensive here. It's a bright gold.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3630393

... my DH and I are still 'discussing' the preferred height on this hedge. I'm thinking 10, he's thinking 20. lol
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #3630421

I love Elaeagnus ebbingei 'Limelight' with its silvery young shoots and pale yellow variegation in attractively large splashes. It has wonderfully scented flowers in the autumn and will get to the height you are looking for. Also it's evergreen.
As is Lonicers nitida 'Baggesen's Gold', with tiny golden leaves.
Photinia fraseri 'Red Robin'
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #3630424

Thank you, Philomel!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3630445

You're welcome :)
Sounds an interesting project

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America