AuthorContent

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2007
5:10 AM

Post #3632300

For some reason the bees are flocking to my birdbaths this year. They will wait for me to fill them.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #3636911

Are you having a dry early summer? They need water and sources might be drying up (ack! I made a pun!) -- jo

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #3684141

:))

We were having a dry spell, and just recently got 7'' of rain. I still have a bee or two, but not eight at a time anymore. That must have been the reason.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #3696881

They are always buzzing my bird bath, not much clean water here in the city.

On cloudy days most of our flying friends take a nap>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3698594

Hi Dale! Is your bird bath shaped so there's a way the bees can get to the water? They need to be able to sit on something, put their noses into the water -- you probably know this already but just in case -- it was something I had to learn -- jo

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2007
7:50 PM

Post #3711661

On my other smoother baths, they stay above the water line and seem to be thwacking up the moisture after the birds splash.

Yes, I made that word up after watching hover flies thwack my arm with their tongue :))
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3711770

The bees have found a little landing when the water drips from the AC unit, that has become their favorite 'watering hole'. I have been trying to photo them when they are loading up, but, by the time I get out with camera they are gone. Not many bees left in this area, it is getting built up more every year, the freeway is expanding and they are paving over all vacant spaces that used to hold flowers.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #3711988

Isn't that sad. I do have bees right now, but they say they don't see many in other places. Scary more than sad. You can plant flowers, but if they aren't there to begin with...
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3712075

I have one place I work in the gardens. For two years in a row we have had swarms take up residence at the house. The 1st year I convinced the owners to call a bee keeper, capture the queen and take the hive. They took my advice and the bees were saved.

This year they decided it was too much trouble so they got sprayed out.

I wish the bee population could tell them how much trouble it is for them...to survive.

I plant these flowers for more than human eyes to see...

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3712102

How beautiful!!

It should be against the law to kill a bee!! They are life for us!

I do plant with bees in mind and have for years. I'd love to have a hive, but I don't think the neighbors would be thrilled :)) I'm not sure I'd have the time to take care of one properly.

Thumbnail by billyporter

jio1
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #3714560

BillyPorter and Dale: Bless You! I cannot believe that in this day and age, people still kill bees (and other beneficial insects), but they do. The other day I noticed a scout bee so I zipped in the house, made up bee water, and set up the bee feeder. Two bees the next day, which pleased me, then -- yesterday -- I had put the butterfly feeder back up with a slice of tangerine for the wasps and, since the hummers just *know* there's food in there, I filled up the feeder part l with hummer food. Next thing I knew, there were bees all *over* it -- the pic is kinda outta focus but I think you can get the idea. There were about 3x as many a bit later on. We've had the normal amount of rain so far this year, but am assuming the drought effects are still lingering and there just isn't *that* much water and/or pollen in the area for them. I'm delighted to be able to help (am on the top/4th floor of a large apt complex, have planted bee friendly plants but they're not big enough yet). You two are my heroes! jo

Thumbnail by jio1

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #3716739

Thanks, but I think you rank right up there with us! It's funny how easily bees can find you :)) Keep up the good work!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America