Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Home and Garden Tour Arrangements

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 18, Views: 188
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2007
3:31 PM

Post #3641109

Hi, all. We are on a Home and Garden Tour Saturday, June 30th. Mostly over the last few weeks I have been deep cleaning and working the garden beds (more of that to do, of course). But one thing I want to do is put A LOT of unique floral arrangements in the various rooms. I am not very good at this sort of thing, but I have been looking at a lot of pictures and have some ideas using grasses and curly twig willow and the like. I want some really simple arrangements and some to be a bit more elaborate, but nothing like you would get from a florist. I also want to use all materials from my own gardens (I have more foliage than flowers).

Right now, I am not really doing any of the arrangements, of course, but rather cutting some things and putting them in water to see how and how long they will hold up. I WOULD really appreciate any of you sharing photos and/or ideas.

I cut a couple of sprigs of my "My Angel" clematis today and put them in this little monkey "vase." Here's the picture.

Thumbnail by irmaly
Click the image for an enlarged view.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #3643246

How cute is that!!! At a glance, I thought they were eucalyptus leaves. I love the silvery color to it.

Do you have any large clear vases? If the curly willow is fresh and bendable, I like to wrap it inside the vase like a nest (just a few branches, not too condensed) before I put flowers in it. It helps to hold flowers while I do the arrangement. Of course, it has to be stripped of the leaves. But just a simple tall vase of curly willow by itself is enough. I like to wrap grass around a vase like ribbon. You can do pretty much anything with curly willow and grass. Combine those with some large leaves like philodendron and you have a very simple and modern piece. It would be nice to have the arrangements compliment the decor of the room as well. For example if you have a victorian room, then maybe a teapot of flowers like garden roses. Hope that helps...but I can think of more ideas if you post what foliages and flowers you have in the garden, and what you have in vases, as well as the decor of your rooms.

irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #3643738

Karmaplace, thanks for the ideas! I have lots of large, clear vases. I also have some really unusual ones that are crystal and square. I have all types of vases because I love them. I have bud vases, large crystals, small crystals and vases in all kinds of colors. I'm just not very good at putting things together in them. LOL

Our home is decorated with early American antiques--pre civil war stuff. Early painted pieces and folkart. Our gardens are extensive--I think I can find things easily enough to use any and all ideas you can throw my way. I've got hostas of all kinds and lots of curly willow. We have lots of trees and shrubs and grasses. As for blooms, I have the usual in my zone for this time of year. Hollyhocks will be in full force--geraniums, meadowsweet, coleus, lots of others. I think the annabelle hydrangas will be in early bloom--they are budded pretty well right now.

Following are some garden pics, so you can get an idea of what I might choose.

Thumbnail by irmaly

irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3643747

I also have bamboo.

Thumbnail by irmaly

irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
2:46 AM

Post #3643753

and ferns

Thumbnail by irmaly

irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
2:47 AM

Post #3643759

lots of different grasses and lady's mantle

Thumbnail by irmaly

irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #3643769

culver's root is blooming now

Thumbnail by irmaly

irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #3643772

hostas

Thumbnail by irmaly

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #3643925

What fun!!! I love hydrangeas and am a bamboo fanatic. I have lots of ideas with bamboo, but most are of asian influence if you don't mind it being in with early American decor. Rather I picture more of tin cans and galvanized buckets of flowers with your style of decor. An old pitcher of just the hydrangeas would be beautiful. I also like clustering of the same flowers together...like putting the irises in a tall glass container by themselves and maybe a few tall grasses sweeping out of it. Does that make sense?? Not sure if sweeping is the word. Oh I wish I was standing in your garden cutting flowers and foliage right now!!! I'll have more ideas tomorrow if you'd like hear more...but have to get to bed. Here's a website I visit often for ideas. They have very unique and contemporary pieces and it's mostly wedding material, but the centerpieces are great. Go to her portfolio at wiggyflowers.com
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3650578

irmaly, very pretty arr. using your nice clematis. I have just one little suggestion, We were taught to be sure our plant material was neat, so if I were making that design I would take a pair of good sharp shears so they wouldn't tear the edges and trim around the leaf that looks to have been eaten on the edges, and make the edges smooth like the rest of the clematis leaves. . Just to be helpful.

Today was our local annual Habitat for Humanity home tour and luncheon. It is the 12th year for it. It is a money making endeavor to be able to build more houses. The coordinator for the event has asked me to make a centerpiece design for each of the five tables except for a couple of times when the tour was out of town.

So late last evening after the weather cooled down I went out to my garden and gathered enough flowers to make the five designs. This morning early I put them together. I used five glass basket containers from y coll. of baskets. The designs were all small enough, probably 10- 12inches across and about that tall so that people sitting across the table could see each other.

Here are five photos of the designs. I did place the flower arr. on a different color cloth to see if it made much difference. I delivered the flowers to the church where the luncheon is held about 10 miles away. The luncheon is from 11:00 am to 1:30 pm. Since the gardens we were going to were some 25 miles away, my friend and I were first to eat as I had to get the flowere there before people arrived. Then we went to the 3 homes and gardens. So took most of the day.

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3650582

No ! is mostly blue, using Delph. for line.

Here is #2

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3650591

No @ uses volunteer snapdragons for line material.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #3650609

Sorry about the goof, #2 uses snapdragons.

Here is #3

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3650670

No. 3 uses a very tall growing volunteer Thalictrum with light yellow froth of blooms and the one yellow daylily bloom that I had.

No 4 is volunteer white with purple center verbascum and deep purple Cotinus leaves

Thumbnail by rutholive

rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #3650690

And last No. 5 is the small flowered Gypsophila that grows everywhere here with very fragrant sweetpeas.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive

irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3652249

Those are lovely, Donna! Thanks for the ideas. And thanks for the website, karmaplace. I LOVE the arrangements on that site and am going to steal some ideas. All I have done so far is round up the containers and travel my garden, clipping things and putting them in water to see if and for how long they will hold up. I have found if I crush the stems of the woody plants, they will hold longer in the water. I will be sure to post pictures when I get them done. A friend is going to come over and help me with this on Friday.
oriole
Mifflintown, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #3652464

Donna, they are all beautiful. I tried to pick a favorite, could not do it.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #3654062

Irma, you're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed that website!! I'm looking forward to your pictures.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #3736881

gee, what a treat to see all these arrangements!!!!!!!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America