-
AuthorContent
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #3642322

I have an Oriental poppy that is on its way from my Grandma's old house. Can anyone give me some tips on transplanting it? I tried once before, but Im sure the area was too moist.
Do they prefer to be on the drier side, or a happy middle? Not much here can withstand our full sun, so that is surely out. I just want the poor thing to make it here. Any help would be appreciated.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #3642548

Poppies don't like wet feet. Oriental poppies will be up and bloom in May and then die back only to come back in August (no bloom til next spring, tho). They are really pretty tough critters once you get them established. They will probably do their best in well drained soil that gets adequate moisture. (Yeah, so would I.) But, I really think as long as you don't plant them where their roots are kept soggy they would be fine. Is the one you're getting from your Grandma's house an orange one?

Diann
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #3643843

Thank you Diann! Yes it is an orange one. I really appreciate your advice!
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #3643864

Those orange ones are pretty sturdy poppies. :) I think it's neat that you got one that was your Grandmothers. ;)

Diann
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3646417

Im so glad to hear they are sturdy. I took one before she passed away, but put it in an area that was far too moist. Now I have the new one in a dappled area, and will remember to not water it tooooo much LOL.
I miss her something fierce, and she had such a love of plants, I just want to do right by her and her plants. ☺
Thank you again!
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2007
9:04 PM

Post #3666591

Full sun for oriental poppies I believe. Very easy to grow here, don't see why Denver would be much different.
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #3668070

We are a mile high, semi arid, and honestly, things just fry here. When we get to 30% humidity, people (including myself) complain LOL. I have daylilies doing perfectly on the north side of the house. Its so sad LOL. Things just burn terribly here, that is why I am hesitant.. I was told that the poppy that was dug was under trees, and doing well. So off to the west side of the house it went near the shade of a Locust tree.
bsulli42
Lakeville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 25, 2007
2:34 PM

Post #3777405

Shelly -
How are your transplanted poppies doing now? I have 2 poppies that exploded in size this summer & need to be moved to larger accommodations. I have read other resources that indicate poppies really do not like to be disturbed & often become dormant for a period after being moved. I did experience that with one of my plants a few years ago. I thought it was dead & it appeared all of a sudden last year. Thanks!

Beth
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3779968

Hi Beth! Im hoping its just dormate! It hasnt grown at all, and where it was cut back is brown. I do however have a violet that was a hitch hiker in the soil that is popping up. I whave tried to be REAL good about overwatering it. My strong instinct is to water until it grows, but Im holding back LOL.
I wish you good growing with yours!
bsulli42
Lakeville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #3792678

Shelly -

Good luck with your poppies, they will likely surprise you at some point. I also read that poppies bloom in the spring & then go dormant until August. In between, all the foliage dies off & it truly looks dead. Sneaky little thing - not dead at all. Mine have not bloomed again in late summer, but I've read it is not uncommon. I bought some Tibetan/Himalayan Blue poppy seeds too late for this summer, but can't wait to start the seeds in February.

Beth

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America