-
AuthorContent
Ruth
Tabor, SD
(Zone 4b)

August 7, 2001
11:56 PM

Post #10259

I just bought a onc. Gower Ramsey "Volcano Queen" orchid and noticed that the bottom of it, the thick bulby part, is getting wrinkled. Am I doing something wrong? This is the first orchid of this kind that I have and don't want to lose it. It is outside under a tree in the shade. We have been having very high temps and humidity and am wondering if this has anything to do with it. It is in bloom right now, but I haven't fed it any fertilizer. Should I? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Ruth
pukeGreen
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2001
2:02 AM

Post #112139

From my experiences and what I've read, it means that it's not getting enough water. The humidity is good for it but the high temperature dries it out faster.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2001
10:52 PM

Post #112488

While orchids are in flower, you need to spray water to the roots 2 -3 times per day, try not to water the flowers or they will wilt, continue fertilising schedule with a weak orchid fertilizer , a 20 - 20 - 20 usually once / week, diluted to a 1/4 of the strengh of what the manufacture recomend. cristina
Ruth
Tabor, SD
(Zone 4b)

August 20, 2001
4:07 PM

Post #113091

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm going to go water them right now.
Thanks again,
Ruth
leya
New York, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2001
10:10 PM

Post #113766

It may also be adjusting to its new environment. You might want to check the roots to make sure its not rotted from being overwatered in the store. Rotted roots are black/brown and mushy. What type of medium is in the pot?

Christina, 'spray water 2 -3 times per day' during flowering, does that mean misting with a spray bottle?

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2001
10:34 PM

Post #115567

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Another thing to help the humidity of the orchid if you have it outside , arrange some stones/rock near the plant and splash water on them, as the stones heats up with the heat of the sun the water will soon evaporates giving extra humidity, Some people place the pot or basquet in a vasin with water But not allowing the pot to touch the water.
cristina
Ruth
Tabor, SD
(Zone 4b)

August 26, 2001
10:31 PM

Post #116542

I don't know if it needs any more humidity. We are having 90 - 97% humidity around here lately. Should I still mist?? The medium looks like the regular bark and the roots look a creamy color, no black. It also seems to have some compost-like material mixed in with the bark. There is some new growth on the side of one of the 'bulbs'. One of the leaves does have a black spot on it but the others look good. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Ruth
leya
New York, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2001
2:58 AM

Post #121142

If there's no root rot, then I agree with PukeGreen, sounds like you need more water. Next time you water, try dunking the entire pot (to the top of the pot) in a bucket of water and let it sit for ~10-15 minutes. This usually plumps up my psuedobulbs the next day. Add Christina's fertilizer plan and your orchid should be a happy camper.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America