Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Wrinkled orchid

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

I just bought a onc. Gower Ramsey "Volcano Queen" orchid and noticed that the bottom of it, the thick bulby part, is getting wrinkled. Am I doing something wrong? This is the first orchid of this kind that I have and don't want to lose it. It is outside under a tree in the shade. We have been having very high temps and humidity and am wondering if this has anything to do with it. It is in bloom right now, but I haven't fed it any fertilizer. Should I? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Ruth

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

From my experiences and what I've read, it means that it's not getting enough water. The humidity is good for it but the high temperature dries it out faster.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

While orchids are in flower, you need to spray water to the roots 2 -3 times per day, try not to water the flowers or they will wilt, continue fertilising schedule with a weak orchid fertilizer , a 20 - 20 - 20 usually once / week, diluted to a 1/4 of the strengh of what the manufacture recomend. cristina

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm going to go water them right now.
Thanks again,
Ruth

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

It may also be adjusting to its new environment. You might want to check the roots to make sure its not rotted from being overwatered in the store. Rotted roots are black/brown and mushy. What type of medium is in the pot?

Christina, 'spray water 2 -3 times per day' during flowering, does that mean misting with a spray bottle?

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Another thing to help the humidity of the orchid if you have it outside , arrange some stones/rock near the plant and splash water on them, as the stones heats up with the heat of the sun the water will soon evaporates giving extra humidity, Some people place the pot or basquet in a vasin with water But not allowing the pot to touch the water.
cristina

Tabor, SD(Zone 4b)

I don't know if it needs any more humidity. We are having 90 - 97% humidity around here lately. Should I still mist?? The medium looks like the regular bark and the roots look a creamy color, no black. It also seems to have some compost-like material mixed in with the bark. There is some new growth on the side of one of the 'bulbs'. One of the leaves does have a black spot on it but the others look good. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Ruth

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

If there's no root rot, then I agree with PukeGreen, sounds like you need more water. Next time you water, try dunking the entire pot (to the top of the pot) in a bucket of water and let it sit for ~10-15 minutes. This usually plumps up my psuedobulbs the next day. Add Christina's fertilizer plan and your orchid should be a happy camper.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.