Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Favorite cut flower combinations?

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 4, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lilac58
Mount Crawford, VA

June 22, 2007
4:22 AM

Post #3644042

I'm new to cut flowers and am trying to learn different combinations. We have a produce auction here that has a real demand for cut flowers and I'd like to take some if possible. People generally put a bundle in plastic sleeves and stick them in a bucket. What are some good combinations of flowers that make a hit. And how would you bundle up sunflowers? I have a lot of different kinds of flowers, but feel so new when it comes to arranging them. Thanks. D
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2007
1:15 PM

Post #3648436

Not sure what flowers would make a hit, but I've seen sunflowers rubberbanded together and placed in a plastic sleeve before. I think it would look nicer if the sunflowers were tied together with raffia. Sorry that's all I know.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #3711617

Here I have used asiatic lily, hosta, astillbe, and ferns

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 3:31 PM

Thumbnail by Seandor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 20, 2007
4:13 AM

Post #3757610

Hand ties are very fashionable, quick and easy to do. I think they look quite effective if you choose a colour and use a lighter and darker shade of that colour .with it and maybe a little greenary. or just use one type of flower in a simple posy, complementary colours always work too.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2007
4:16 AM

Post #3767760

At our local farmers market, the couple that sells out quickest is the one who bundles together 5-10 of the same variety (sometimes different colors). They happen to have a greenhouse, so are able to do lisianthus, Tall snapdragons, alstromeria and baby roses.
Great ones to get at the market and hard to raised well in our outdoors gardens. I do grow snapdragons, but theirs are Huge.
I agree with raffia, looks so much better than rubber bands. I have used dried leaves of Siberian iris. They keep their strength for a long time.
I love combinations of 3 flowers and 2 fillers myself.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America