Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

How do you gather seed from bouganvillas?

Tucson, AZ

Is there a way to do this? My neighbor has the most gorgeous bright pink bouganvillas and I was wondering if there was a way I could gather seed from theirs (with permission of course) and grow my own?

Aiken, SC

I think it's best to take cuttings.

Tucson, AZ

Sorry, novice gardener here. You take a cutting from the plant and just put it in the growind? Is there a special place or way to cut it?

Hi growingup
I would take a piece of Hard wood rather than Soft wood .
Stick the end you are going to put in the ground into some rooting powder or honey .
Then right into some GOOD soil .
Do 2 or 3 of them , They don't always take .
It's lots of fun .

Sydney, Australia

Hi growing up ....I find them fairly easy to strike....as the others have said...about 50% strike rate ...may I suggest late Summer or Early Autumn is the best time...and a sandy mix.....then into a warm shade position until the new growth shows .Plant out after any danger of frost...into a warm sunny place. Good luck:)

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Okay, another newbie question. How do we know what is hard wood and what is soft wood? How long should the cutting be? My daughter has two that I would like to start cuttings from.

Thanks,

Karen

Tucson, AZ

Hard wood is if it is snappable, the soft will bend. I tried 3 cuttings, each about 10" long. the better of it was planted and all of the ends were dipped in honey before planting. None of them took.

Tucson, AZ

I also read that you could start them from leaves, but I tossed a few of those in for good measure and still nothing.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

growingup - thanks for the explanation of soft wood and hard wood. I do see one or the other recommended, but didn't know exactly what that meant. When my daughter's bougs get a little bigger I will try it -- nothing ventured . . . .

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.