Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

June 23, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3647301

How's that Jada? Now i can tell you about the best thing i have ever come across...i am a vintage jewelry dealer, had a shop at a local flea mkt. A gentleman came in with a box of vintage jewelry, mostly junk. purses etc. I looked at it and gave him a bid of 200.00 dollars for all...i thought i was being fair, which was important to me, wanted to keep my reputation as an honest dealer. There was a bar shaped brooch, that looked like a nice costume piece...it turned out to be real! (A visiting customer who deals in real told me to have it tested) I had it appraised at $12,000.00 retail!! The man never returned, and i wholesaled it out for $7,000.00. It was spectacular, art deco piece in white gold, with 2 amethyst cabochons, and the rest were diamonds...it was so large and had no designations of any kind on it, it looked like costume! i was thrilled! (so was my husband!) i doubt it will ever happen again...i feel that i made an honest mistake..and didn't cheat the gentleman...i bought new living room furniture with the money! sue
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3647319

sue,
I would have been in hog heaven! WOW! I only dream of finding something worth that much. I agree that staying honest keeps you in business.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #3648465

Wow.. That's awesome, Sue!! :-) I love these stories. I don't have any of my own, though. I used to be the manager of a thrift store in Ohio, so I have seen and sold lots and lots of stuff.

Well, there were the letters.. We had a box with hundreds of old letters in them. They were really interesting! They were written to and from a lady in Kentucky in the late 1800s, early 1900s. At first she was away at college, and they were to her family. Later they were to her husband when she or he were away, or back home to her family. :-) There was one letter thanking her uncle - a Supreme Court judge (we had a response, too, on fancy paper with his letterhead) - for the bottle of port that he had sent her for her birthday! One of our regular customers bought the whole box for $15 or something and tracked down the family. They mostly still lived in Kentucky, but one of the sons had moved to Ohio and had died recently and this box had obviously been in his attic. Our customer sent the family the box and they were SO happy!!! He came back and told us about it later, which was just wonderful. We didn't often get to hear the "ends of the story."
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

June 23, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3648610

jada and Marylyn! Wonderful story about the letters!! Here is another one..that i just remembered..i would do estate buyouts. 8 years ago..i bought from a lady in her late 60's and her grown daughter, their garage contents as they were moving. There was costume jewelry, teacups etc...in this batch was a large old pickle jar full of vintage buttons, (which i collect)...when i dumped the jar out on my kitchen table, out rolled a huge older 14 ct. navy ring, with the insignia on a stone etc. (Probably the husband had carelessly tossed it into the button jar years ago) The dad (& husband) had passed away a couple of yrs. ago, they had told me..i immediately called them to tell them i had found his navy ring (it had initials engraved inside with a date)...they started crying as they had been looking everywhere for it . i immediately drove it over to them, and we all had a good cry together!! Mostly in my business i get to hear how hired care-givers, and greedy relatives have all glommed away family heirlooms!! It is a sad fact with the elderly, but that was a nice ending for a change! sue
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2007
4:44 PM

Post #3649074

Sue
How thoughtful of you! Sometimes sentimental items have more value than the few dollars you could sell them for. I know they appreciated it and will always remember you warmly.

A lot of times when I did flea markets, I would give things away because I know it meant more to the person than it ever would to me.

Like one time at a flea market my fiance and I were selling things from his fathers home that had passed away. There was tons of stuff and so we went every weekend to sell it and this elderly lady would come by every weekend and buy from us never spending more than a few dollars. One weekend she came and said I'm just looking today because I have no money till I get my check on the first ( SS). There was some costume jewelry she admired and she told me the stone in one of them was real. I dont remember the name now but it was a light green small gemstone. I picked up the item put it in a bag and gave it to her. She was thrilled. She said she was gonna take the stones and make earrings out of them.

Time passed and she came back one day to proudly show me the earrings she had made with the stones. She was very excited about it and the earrings were very pretty. The pleasure she got out of that was priceless to me and created a memory I would never have had, had I sold that item for a few dollars.

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

June 23, 2007
6:45 PM

Post #3649420

Great Story Jada, Being kind repays oneself with good memories for years!! sue

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #3649805

Thanks for making this thread even more interesting, ladies!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

June 23, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #3649916

Thanks Biv! Here is another story of a different kind about being "in the field" and looking for treaures..Our flea mkt. had indoor permanent shops (like mine) and the outdoor "Gypsy" field, where one could rent a table for a few dollars and get rid of stuff...usually people like Jada and Fiance would set up to get rid of things...needless to say us "oldtimers" & more experienced dealers, would hit the newcomers as soon as they would unpack...some of these dealers were very obnoxious and pushy!! (nasty, if you will!). Well, there were 2 older ladies (i hesitate to use the term) that were the "Queens" of the antique booths...no one would cross them as they have been known to use force and would grab things aggressively out of your hands! To prove myself once, (i was the new "kid" on the block) i held onto an item i wanted and the real nasty one, tried to grab it out of my hand!! I was being "tested" and i knew it. I was scared, believe me, i am not a very big person & i hate confrontation!! She let go and i paid for it and left...thankfully nothing happened to me...after that i guess i earned her respect, and she was always nice to me (go figure?) Well, one morning a mint adorable early 50's child's baby blue phonograph record player, cute teddy bear decals on it, (i remember it vividly) was being unpacked by some young people...the two "Queens" both went after it at the same time!!! Whoohooo, the fists were going pummeling each other...shirts were being yanked, and some mighty fancy words were being used! We all stood there in gleeful shock to see what would happen! Well, the larger one got the record player away from the smaller (meaner one) and paid for it and left! (no one was seriously hurt, these ladies were into their 60's) It was quite exciting..the poor kids that were selling it, looked shell-shocked!! It is an ongoing legend around our flea mkt. which is still going strong! lol! Both people involved are retired thank goodness! I have seen some nasty things in this biz!! sue
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3650037

Ha!
Great Story! Those were certainly the days, way back before my Fiance and I opened our own store.
I remember setting up a table in the wee hours of the morning to prepare for the long day and having the "experienced oldtimer folk like weeds" come rushing over before we could get the stuff out the truck. What we would do is open the box of leftovers from the week before and set that out for them to crawl over and after they left we would open the "real" boxes of stuff for sale. We always researched our wares before putting them out anyway, anything of real value was not sold out there.
Doing flea markets on the weekends was a lot of fun and and a great hobby and we met a lot of great people. Good thing we werent dependent on it as we both had good jobs, but we learned a lot. Later we opened a store in a mall and hired an "experienced oldtimer" who wasnt making much money to scout for treasures for us and I think he may have been related to those two "Queens" because he was a tiger and brought us great finds.

Those were the days!!!!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

June 23, 2007
10:57 PM

Post #3650075

jada, you guys sound like "oldtimers" to me!!! heehee...good trick!! how about the early, early birds, you would like to KILL, at garage sales...grrrr...so RUDE!! But, you are right, those were the days!!! i don't have the energy for that much excitement anymore...lol...you are right..many of my good friends made in this biz are still around! i love em'...we all have such good yarns to tell each other...sue

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3650442

I know what you mean about the queens. DH and I used to have three spaces rented in an antiques mall. Several times the queen dealer showed up with an offer for something we'd just put on display. Whenever I got an offer from her, I always knew I needed to raise the price. I never sold anything to her, and she unwittingly helped me get better prices. :) But I never, ever witnessed any scenes such as you describe. What a show that must have been!

A bad memory comes to mind, however. When my father-in-law died, we had an estate sale. Knowing we needed to keep a watchful eye, we had someone stationed in every room. Nevertheless, an $85 pottery piece was stolen, and we surmised it was taken by one of the dealers who showed up early.

Later in the day, an electric shaver disappeared. About an hour after we noticed it was missing, some idiot showed up (we'd seen him there earlier with a friend) and wanted to know if by chance we had a carrying case for that type of shaver! Talk about stupid!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

June 24, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3650917

Bivbiv

ROTFLMAO !
At least he didnt ask you if you were interested in buying a really nice shaver! LOL
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

June 24, 2007
11:58 AM

Post #3651791

Biv biv, unfortunately i do think there are more dishonest dealers than good ones...I would have been so ticked that he had the nerve to return..grrrr...(jada, you naughty girl! lol!) One of the reasons i went out of owning a shop was the theft...with the advent of ebay...all the good things that weren't locked up were lifted! And i know it was some of my regular so-called dealer/friends! Never could catch them...made me so paranoid i hated that!
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

June 24, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #3653513

Sorry,
I didnt mean to be rude. It just struck me as funny that this guy had the nerve (cahoonas) to do that. It sounded like a sitcom with someone missing a few screws!

I do sympathize because we had theft too, of course, (You open a store, you gonna get theives no way around it). My worse experience was when the mall dealers posted sales and sold our stuff at discount without our permission. How dare they? That is theft also.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3654057

Jada, most malls here have a policy that allows a 10% discount without having to clear it with the vendor. (Vendors have to agree to this policy, of course; and most do.) If a potential buyer offers a lower price, then the mall employee must call the vendor for an O.K. on selling at more than 10% below the tagged price. It's strange that mall mgmt. would sell at a discount without your approval, since that takes money out of their pocket, too.
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3654241

I have a cool find. In May critterologist (Jill) came over to help me go through boxes for a yard sale. We found a couple of really old books I had inherited from my dad in 1993 and never unpacked. Well one of them is 'Knave of Hearts' by Maxwell Parrish 1925. Now I just need to find a dealer to buy it from me. Any advice?

-Kim
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

June 25, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3654455

Kim, try to do a search on ebay looking under books or Maxwell Parrish...or try "googling" the name...i am not really knowledgeable on books, that is a vast amount of collectibles. Also if is a first edition it will make quite a difference in price? Wish i could be of more help! Anyone have any ideas to help Kim? sue
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #3654560

It is the first edition. I am thinking I could find a few antique book dealers in DC and shop it around?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #3656413

You can find relative value on books at http://www.alibris.com. It IS only relative - what book dealers are selling the book for. You can't tell if people are actually buying it at that price, though. Here is a link to your book: http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?chunk=25&mtype=&wtit=Knave of Hearts&qwork=3569906

The last price on the list makes MY heart skip.. And it's a first edition, too. But, like I said, just because the dealer thinks the book is worth that much doesn't mean anyone is buying it. It sounds like it is worth finding someone to ask, though!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

June 25, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #3657390

Wowzers!! Bluekat, hope you get a great price...neat link marylyn!! Let us know what happens!! sue
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
11:04 AM

Post #3659638

Thanks for the links Marylyn! Now why would someone price something @ such an odd amount? $10,329.43 Something tells me my book will sell for a little less than that! LOL
Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

July 5, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #3699145

My best find ever - $5.00 - Not sure what it is worth, but I know it is more than that!
Full size end table lamp, 24" tall, didn't come with the shade, of course, and it has to be rewired (I don't trust old cords)...but there isn't a crack or a flaw on it and it even has it's fineal (sp?) !!!

Best part is that I have always wanted one!

Thumbnail by Bhavana34
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

July 5, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #3699235

Good find Bhavana!! it is a very trendy lamp right now, in the shabby chic, cottage etc. venue!! And to find one with out chips is something...as they can be rather prone to cracking and chunks off the corners...it is white marble, or alabaster, sometimes both were used...some had "made in Italy" tags on them...40's, 50's 60's?? i would put a price tag of 95.00 or more, especially a 24 in. tall one...usually you only see the petite ones...you sure matched the shade to it beautifully!! A timeless, elegant lamp.
Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

July 5, 2007
9:11 PM

Post #3699600

yes, I was excited to find it, as you don't see them at all anymore outside of nicer stores or antique shops. This was at a $10 a table outdoor junk/flea market, a younger girl, looked as if she was getting rid of grandmas stuff - when I asked the price, she shrugged her shoulders and said "5 dollars?" like she didn't even care. I took it and ran, she offered to hold on to it for me while I continued to shop and I said no thanks. I was glad to carry it around for the rest of the day. At least 5 or 6 other people and dealers asked me where I got it and were shocked at the price.

The shade is silk, it cost around $40, I got it on the same day. I also have the "lamp kit" for rewiring, which I am going to do soon.

PS - it has Made In Italy stamped on the bottom, looks like felt had been glued onto the bottom as well, but it has worn off...no big deal I suppose to buy a piece and re-felt it.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2007 4:13 PM
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #3711846

Kim:

Here are some lists from http://www.bookfinder.com of First Editions of "Knave of Hearts." Prices vary, but they're all quite high.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=jWKqapAfmET2HYbvdWxT,eWWT1M_8372332735_1:2:3
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=jWKqapAfmET2HYbvdWxT,eWWT1M_6508610334_1:3:12
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=jWKqapAfmET2HYbvdWxT,eWWT1M_6508610334_1:1:4
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3712241

Cool lamp Bhavana! Looks awful heavy for you to have carried it around for too long.

I have emailed a dealer in PA who sells Parrish so hopefully I will get a real value and possibly an eventual sale. I will keep you updated. There are a LOT of them for sale @ Abebooks.com

-Kim
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

July 13, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3729522

My granny apt. is furnished with some of my collection. My space is limited

Thumbnail by agedgardener

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

July 13, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #3730763

agedgardener! I love your "art wall", it came out great, and you paired up your antiques so nicely!! I love the pic in the middle..looks like a meeting or party? With all the figures in various shades of color? i got a good chuckle out of your reading material.."Say yes to old age", like we have a choice? lol...wellll...there IS a choice...but i am not ready for that at this moment...heh..heh...enjoyed your photo! sue
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2007
1:16 PM

Post #3946957

The best find I've ever found is a small table that I have, about 20 inches square, that I paid $5.00 for at a garage sale. It was dark - almost black, and was beat up a little from being the family's telephone table, and it has a small drawer in the front. Anyways, I took it to my local "antique restorer guy" (Bob), who I have had restore several antiques for me over the years. When he took the table out of my truck, he looked it over real good and then asked, "Glenda, where did you get this table?" I told him, "At a garage sale." He asked, "May I ask how much you paid for it?" I said, "Sure. $5.00." He said, "I have a friend coming by here tomorrow. He's an antique appraiser from the Bloomfield Hills area and I'm going to have him take a look at this table. I might be wrong, but I don't think so, I think this is a Civil War period piece - made about 1860! And if I am right, this little $5.00 table is worth about $400.00 to 450.00!" He proceeded to show me how the dovetail joints were all hand carved - every one was just a little different from the others. And how the lathed legs were hand done. I hadn't noticed either before he pointed them out to me. I told him that if he was right, and this was indeed a Civil War period piece, to let his friend decide what is the best way to restore this table. I would leave it up to him. ...A couple days later, I got a phone call from Bob, and YES it is a Civil War period piece, made out of solid Cherry!! Bob said that Cherry wood, over the years, continues to get darker and darker, and that's why 145 years later, it was black. The antique appraiser told Bob to just strip the old finish off and clear coat it, which Bob did. It now glows are warm, rich, reddish brown. More red than brown though.

My little $5.00 garage sale, formerly beat up telephone table, now sets next to the bed in our guest room, and is BEAUTIFUL!! ...The people who I bought it from, probably never knew what a special piece they had.

:) Glenda
...I LOVE antiques!!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

September 7, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #3947018

Great story Glenda, It was nice to give this beautiful piece a home, most people would have sold it, to think the table sat in someone's home while the Civil War was going on! I am sure it had Northern inclinations! I could be wrong but, i don't think Cherry Wood grows in the south! lol...sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2007
3:24 PM

Post #3947425

Au Contraire... Cherry does grow in the South, just not as far south as FL (unless you count Barbados Cherry which is merely a fruiting shrub). The firewood I just had delivered has a lot of cherry wood in it, and cherry floors are popular here and in NC, don't know about other places in the south.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #3947698

Thanks, it is a special piece.

Now and then, when I'm looking at my table, I wonder about the person who made it, and the reason he made it. Was he just a furniture maker, or was it for someone special, maybe part of a daughter's dowry, or a wedding gift for his soon-to-be bride? I even wonder how close my table was to the fighting? Did the sound of gunfire ring through the room it was setting in? If so, was the house it was in destroyed or spared? My great grandfather told my father stories about when he was a young boy - during the Civil War. Stories about the soldiers, north and south, coming through (in Eastern Kentucky) and taking livestock and house wares - whatever they needed or wanted. ...Makes the imagination run wild with the possibilities. There were no names, dates, etc., engraved on the bottom of the table.

I love Early American and Civil War history and all the pieces we have left from those eras...
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

September 7, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #3948439

Well, thank you Darius!! i didn't know that fact? My neighbor has cherry wood floors, and kitchen cabinets...but they are from Home Depot, so i assume it was all shipped like so many things are down here to Fla. I wonder in Barbados Cherry is large enough to make furniture from? I think i will google that, you have my curiosity now?

How romantic Glenda! Looks like the table was fortunate to be in the home of the absolutely right person! You should ask the people at the home of the garage sale, you found the table at, where they got the table? But, then they would be upset to have let something that nice go?! Better not!!! lol...sue
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2007
10:08 AM

Post #3992198

Glenda, a very nice find and very descriptive writing! I love antiquing. I left a little early from the KY RU to hit the antique shops at Cadiz. I enjoyed that quaint little town and the time I had to just look and relax. I didn't buy one thing but I had a great time browsing.
Teresa in KY
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2007
10:15 AM

Post #3992204

Picked up a Schoenhut doll one day for $50. Knew nothing about dolls. The guy selling it was pretty aggressive on the price. Took a chance and later found it listed in a book for $700. Turned it for $400.

Of course, I was then a doll expert. Bought 3 more. All fakes. Lost $150 on them.

The neatest find I ever saw was at a swap meet in Nevada. I was selling there and all morning I saw customers walk by with huge ostrich plumes and showgirl hats. Later I spoke with the couple who were selling them. They told me they couldn't believe their luck. They were in financial difficulty, heard about an blind auction at a storage facility. Without being able to see inside, they bought a locker for $75. They were having trouble making their mortage and that money was a huge chunk of change for them. But that one day, they sold over $1,400 worth of costumes out of it.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2007
10:24 AM

Post #3992212

Wow, that would be a blessing. Nice stories.

I was looking for a piece of Jewel Tea for my Mom's birthday. I went to a ladie's house that was selling some. She priced the entire set for $200.00. It even had a breakfast tray. I didn't have the extra cash with 4 small children at the time but after talking to my friends decided maybe I could list it Ebay and give Mom the piece she needed. She had sold it :(

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2007
11:04 AM

Post #3992252

bluecat, darius would know where to sell that book.
I volunteered in our local archives for 6 years before it merged with the new library last year. The old archives was very disordered and not indexed very well at all. We spent the last 2 years at our former location boxing and indexing the collection which is still an on-going project. Anyway, in the old site, I was moving around some tables and under one table, sitting in a box was an old dark round leather-bound thingy. I got it out and it was papers rolled up in a rough piece of leather, very crudely sewed together. It ended up being surveyor's field notes beginning in the late 1700s and continuing until about 1830. When I tried to read the pages, I found they were very brittle and I couldn't really see much of them without damaging them. So I called our State Historic Preservation Office. A restoration expert carried the surveyor's notes to Raleigh where they "relaxed" the pages, photographed them and sent them off to be treated and rebound but saved the original old leather. They also included a nicely bound copy. This cost hundreds of dollars to get done. The budget for the Historic Preservation commission is only $2,000 a year so this was a big investment. But it has paid off - 3 universities have borrowed the bound copy so far.
My most precious old things that were sent to me by my sister when my mother died was a full set of Desert Rose dinnerware. My grandmother had bought it during WWII when she had a boarding house and was asked by the government to house some WACs. I bought a few replacement pieces on eBay. I am really proud of those pieces and some old costume jewelry I got too. I will never understand why my sister wasn't interested in keeping anything for herself, but I am grateful.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #4216186

I've just found both of these threads and love reading the stories of everyone's finds.

I'm a treasure hunter and have been for years. I spent a little while selling treasures on ebay. I found some really cool things for next to nothing did quite well selling them.

One thing I found was a pop up book of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in excellent condition. I paid 50 cents for it in a garage sale and sold it for $82. I sold many nice books on both Amazon and Alibris, learning about the value of books. I've always loved to read so really loved hunting for special books. At one time I had an inventory of about 3500 books in my house for sale.

When my oldest daughter was in her teens, she had a wonderful collection of harlequin type masks. Most of them came from Goodwill and garage sales. I'm a cheap gal and never spent over $5 on any of them. After she got married, she decided to sell her collection. She and I had just started selling on ebay at that time. She's of the mind that all auctions should start at 99 cents. I think a bit differently, but she'd been doing ebay longer than I had, so I went with her idea. After all, it was hers to sell. As soon as the auction went up, I received an email from a lady that said the mask we had was from a line of masks that were no longer being produced. She gave us all kinds of information and showed us some photos of her own collection, which was very extensive. I took about 10 photos of the mask, including the signature inside of it. The lady said I was welcome to include any of the information she'd given me. When I re-wrote the ad, there was quite a few people watching it. The mask ended up selling for over a hundred dollars. Jennifer was tickled pink.

Well I just looked for the photos and can't find them on the computer. I wonder what happened to the pictures. Hmmmm

Janet

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #4216534

The costume jewelry I had turned out to have 3 real pieces. A pair of jade earrings surrounded on the bottom with tiny diamonds, a real gold maple leaf pin with a real pearl on it to represent a dewdrop, and a wonderful little spider pin. He is gold and his body is an elongated pearl. I am looking at the big brooches again, but think they are paste because of the way they are mounted without an opening in the bottom of setting to let light through. I believe all "paste" has foil backing on the stones. Am I right about this?
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #4217750

woodspirit11...Some but not all "paste" does have a foil backing. But most doesn't. It is clear. Other "paste" has elements in the melt which produce color. Some "paste" has, produced by vapor deposition, a thin layer of metallic oxides on the back. That produces several colors including silver, bermuda blue, aurola borealis, vitrial medium (a red/green very popular in the 1930s) vitrail light (lavender) and heliotrope. In the case of AB (aurola borealis) you can almost see right through the backing. BB (Bermuda blue) has a thicker layer and no light enters the stone from the back, all is reflected out.

"Paste" is glass with a high lead content. Swarovski is the leading manufacturer. No one today or 100 years ago made stones as fine. The company produces everything from chandelier parts, to rhinestones, pendents, beads and animal figurines. Swarovski makes the same foil backs today it did in the 1920s (I used to deal in Swarovski products and sold stones to other dealers with older pieces missing a stone). Not everything, not nearly everything, Swarovski had made is being made. Colors and cuts come, go and return.

You can spot Swarovski by the brilliance of the stone and the sharpness of the facets. They are cut, not pressed as is the case with nearly all German, Czech and Italian glass or "paste". If you have a piece of costume jewelry from the 20s, 30s or 40s, Swarovski stones are a mark of quality. Doesn't always mean the piece is worth more, rarity factors in. Lalique, for instance, used his own "paste" which had a much lower lead content than Swarovski. Its not as bright and clean looking but commands premium prices.

Because of the lead content (>30%) Swarovski and other paste stones are very soft. I haven't seen much, if any, older stuff without some scratches on it. So that is a good indication you are looking at paste and not, for instance, a CZ or white topaz,

The original rhinestones were quartz with a foil backing. They haven't been around for a long time. A similiar technique however is being used in some jewelry from Nepal and elswhere. A purple piece of not foil but paper will be put behind an amethyst set in a bracelet to enhance the color.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2007 1:51 PM

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2007
10:01 AM

Post #4224388

wow, i just got educated. I have one piece from my mother's things that is especially bright and has sharp cuts to the stones. She used to have a black velvet wrap jacket that came to a tie on one hip and that's where she wore the brooch. Stunning!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #4224436

Anyone checking Ebay for Christmas bargains? I am wary of Ebay but I have won a couple of pieces at super prices. Last year I won Mom a Jewel Tea ball pitcher for the beginning bid of $5.00! No shipping either the seller lived near my daughter in Ohio.
Teresa
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 24, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #4224501

yes, ebay has really had low prices for sure!! i cruise it occasionally...try not to! I need to put some things on it to sell!! Never do...i pick up an old piece, look at it, and go naaa, put it right back where it was...love my old stuff! lol...sue
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #4225364

I have some 200 pieces of Christmas jewelry. Started with only trees and have branched out to anything with stones. I appreciate the above information and will have to look at them a little closer. The first I ever got was 25 cents. Most of my collection is now in the double digits. Anything newer than the 60's, I don't usually want unless it is really special.

I really need to get my camera out.

LouC

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #4226074

I shop e-bay all the time. You have to read everything, e-mail any questions to the seller, and make sure his feedback it really good. I am going to buy a self-opening kitchen trash can. Ebay is the only place I have found. When your hands get near it, like when you want to scrape a plate off, it pops open.
My husband hates my step-on can. It's a tall can and the pedal is weak and slow to open. So how's this for a exciting Christmas gift?
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 25, 2007
12:54 PM

Post #4227145

Wow! I bet you are eating just to make some garbage, when you get your new "can"! lol...sue Ebay does have it's merits..searched everywhere for a little childhood book i had as a kid in the 50's...of course found it on ebay...it charmed me as i looked at it, just as it did way back then! I do buy more than enough things on ebay! sue
digatunnel
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 2, 2007
1:37 AM

Post #4252112

Woodspirit! I got one of those trash cans at the county fair. It was in my kitchen and really super handy. The only problem I had was when I had company over and was standing in the kitchen talking. The trash can behind me kept opening. It would open behind me and I would turn around looking at it, wondering what was going on! I would turn back to my conversation and it would open again! I was standing too close to it and my bottom would trigger the sensor! Now even my trash can is telling me I need to go on a diet!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2007
4:05 AM

Post #4252562

LOL That is sooooo funny.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 3, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #4255159

Giggle!! A good one!! sue

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #4255258

I will certainly remember that.
velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 2, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #6209902

Hello, Everyone. I was whining that the last thread had petered out before I found out about this one. Now it seems to be gone, too! Come back! I want to know if anyone has a magic incantation for finding lost stuff. You know, those little things that have been put away for "safekeeping"? My wedding ring is still MIA in our old house after 3 or 4 years. It is a plain gold band that I outgrew (oink, oink), and the ring I had made with my mom's wedding diamond has just "turned up missing" in the past few months here at the new house. I surmise, but sure don't remember, that I put it away before leaving the country for a short spell. It seems sacriligious to pray about this, although I know the Catholics have a special saint in charge of lost items. My usual tack is to just ignore lost items and make THEM find me! Not working this time. Any ideas? Hire a psychic? Undergo hypnosis?

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6210037

I haven't a clue. All I can find are dead mice and rats for my neighbors when the vermin began to smell. Theneighbors found out about my powerful nose.
Sometimes a spousal unit or someone else who lives in the house can help. They don't think like you and may come up with the right place because it is not one you would normally use..

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6210818

Years ago a watch disappeared from my apartment overnight. When I went to bed, the watch was lying on the arm of the sofa; the next morning it was gone. No one had visited; no one had broken in. That's a mystery that will never be solved.

Now I have another mystery. An expensive necklace and bracelet disappeared on an overnight trip. It was in a jewelry box in our suitcase. I didn't wear it or take the box out of the bag. We didn't leave the suitcase in the motel while we went to dinner; it was left behind the seat of our truck. I find it hard to believe that someone broke into the truck, unzipped the bag, searched until he found the jewelry box, left everything neatly in place, zipped the bag, locked the truck door, and calmly walked off. Any ideas?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6210912

I lose jewelry frequently...because I'm absent-minded. Always seems to turn up. DH lost an expensive silver and turquoise belt buckle after a trip. We looked everywhere...luggage, storage room, etc. Years later I decided to donate a leather hang-up travel bag he didn't use anymore. In the upper corner pocket was the belt and buckle. He swore he'd checked there and I thought I had too. Recently I "found" two gold Omega watches in a safe deposit box that I hadn't accessed since 2002. But I was positive I had checked the box...guess I dreamed it. Just glad I found them, even tho I don't wear them. It's such a weird feeling to keep thinking of where you could have possibly hidden things...go looking...and find they're not there. I have a friend who always thinks "someone" has stolen things from her house. Then months later, she mentions she found items. Figure when I die, my daughter will toss small boxes, ...or sweaters that have rings or bracelets stuck in 'em! I figured I had probably left the watches in an old purse that I'd donated to Salvation Army... I've learned my lesson and now keep the good stuff at the bank!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6210961

While tearing out a wall in an old house, my buddy found a pack rat's stash. They really like bright shiny things so the nest had jewelery in it along with aluminum foil and pull tabs from cans & etc.. The jewelery was from the 30's and still pretty enough to sell it to the jeweler that appraised it for him. I don't remember what he was paid, just that he cautioned us that crows and pack rats will steal shiny baubles.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6211043

My thought exactly about the watch on the arm of the sofa.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6211339

At my house...I'm the pack rat!

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6211674

I think I would have been aware of a rat in my apartment. And I don't believe there was any place one could have entered. An interesting idea, though, and one that never occurred to me. But I think a rat would have had to have a flashlight to be attracted to a shiny watch in the dark.

Once a rat did get into another apartment where I lived. I was temporarily in a place while I waited for another apartment to be ready for occupancy. My temporary home was on the ground floor of a multi-story building, behind a small gourmet restaurant and bakery. There was a locked door in the back of the closet that accessed the kitchen of the restaurant, and a rat gnawed a hole in the door and got into my apartment. I never ate in that restaurant again!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6211910

biv,

My immediate thought was that the watch might have slid down from the sofa arm and into the sofa itself under the seat cushions. Then--you probably sat in it the next day--never thinking about the watch, and it worked it's way under the bottom cushions.

Have you checked for that? maybe if you turn the sofa over you might find it hanging from some of the understructures...

Juney--
What a find! I am a royal pack rat myself and I don't envy what all the girls will have to go through when I pass...If I had to move NOW--it would, emotionally, destroy me, for it would force me to discard a lot of stuff.
NOT going anywhere...

Just a suggestion on the watc...Gita
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6212032

Rats are not an indication you are not clean. They are just a fact of life on this planet. Did not intend to imply anything bad.

Christi

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6212359

Gita, the first thing I did the next morning was to check the sofa thoroughly. Also, I hadn't even sat on it that night. I spent the evening reading in bed. This happened many years ago when I lived in Caracas, so no checking under the sofa now. :)

LouC, not to worry; I didn't take your comment the wrong way.

Gosh, I think we've highjacked this thread. It started out about the fun of finding antiques. Anyone found anything interesting lately?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6212829

Bought this in a musty little shop in Manila. It was supposed to be an antique rice basket (over the shoulders). I think they just "smoked" it to make it look old, but who knows? DD had it in her house...returned, minus some of the cane strapping... Maybe I can use it when weeding flower beds! That ought to send the neighbors inside...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6215234

You cannot underestimate the flexibility of mice and rats. They can actually collapse their bone structure to fit through tiny spaces. And they can see in the dark to pick appealing shiny things.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6215762

Well, the more I hear, the more that does sound like a plausible explanation...weird as it is. I'd always heard rats and mice could pretty much flatten themselves.

Now, if I could just figure out what happened to my necklace and bracelet! No rodent unzipped the suitcase and carried off that 8" square box.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9214684

Does getting two claw foot bath tubs in pristeen condition , 4' and 4 1/2' for $ 550.00 count ? And an old wooden chicken crate in very good condition (future coffee table ) count ?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9214693

Absolutely!!! Woot, woot!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9214704

Forgot , chicken coop was $50.00 and been looking for a nice one for years .
This is a neat thread
Now to plan my garden bath , here, and another in Texas

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9214705

Sally, a 5' or 6' one would be better... but they didn't make many of those.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 22, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9214714

Down here , and in Tex , the 5' are common . I would have liked one of those and my son's best friend has one in his yard I've been trying to buy for years . In very good condition . I haven't ever seen a 4' tub , but it is so cute and the larger one is a darling. For a stand up shower , they will work fine , not to mention , a good place to bath the dogs . If I ever could sit down and soak , I would have to have help getting up and out . Don't wanna go there . LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America