Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mums and Asters: What Chrysanthemums Have You Bought This Year?

Communities > Forums > Mums and Asters
bookmark
Forum: Mums and AstersReplies: 57, Views: 458
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3649320

I got this one at WW the other day and I have an order coming in next week from King's. http://dstartz.com/2007_Kings.htm

Donna

Thumbnail by dstartz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2007
11:44 PM

Post #3650206

Oh, my!! What an incredible garden you will have!

This message was edited Jun 23, 2007 6:45 PM
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3650405

Not yet, but hopefully next year.
zeoplum
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2007
2:46 AM

Post #3650932

I order two 3-packs of mums from Bluestone and they are planted in a new bed I just created around my mailbox. I bought Sienna Bronze and Red Climax. Should make for a nice Fall color display, don't you think?

I'm a new gardener and this will be my first experience with Mums but I'm really excited to see how it'll turn out.

Red Climax http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/MRECLS.html
Sienna Bronze http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/MSIBRS.html

This message was edited Jun 24, 2007 7:32 AM
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2007
3:44 AM

Post #3651271

I love the tight,tiny blooms of the Red Climax. It reminds me of a favorite in my garden, Barbara http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/74085/ .

The Sienna Bronze ought to look terrific in the fall with all the different colors in the trees,etc. You'll have to post a picture once they all start to bloom.

Donna

Thumbnail by dstartz

dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2007
5:23 AM

Post #3672690

I got my rooted cuttings from King's Mums today! Yippee!!

Thumbnail by dstartz

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2007
5:29 AM

Post #3672703

I bought this one -- it reminded me of Lincolnitess. I hope to be able to send her some cuttings about the size of the ones you got from King's in a month's time or so. The flowers are on the ground because I ripped them off when I was making those cuttings.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2007
5:45 AM

Post #3672717

Those are so pretty!

Where'd you get them?
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2007
5:53 AM

Post #3672720

The florist at the grocery store. They had a tag in them saying the name and that they were hardy down to -30 degrees (not that I believe that, but I bet they're hardy down to -15 or -20.) I spent a long time choosing the plant I wanted to buy and when I got home, I realized I must have chosen the only pot without a tag! I need to go back tomorrow to either filch a tag from another pot or at least get the name. How dumb!

Suzy
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2007
6:01 AM

Post #3672731

LOL! That sounds like something I'd do. But the important thing is you got the best plant!!

Please post a picture when they're ready to transplant.

Donna
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2007
6:16 AM

Post #3672744

Ok. I'll be sure to post.

Here's another one I bought, also from the grocery, but on a different trip. (I like to hide my plant purchases and skimp on the food a bit -- what Mr. Clean doesn't know won't hurt him!)

The buds open purple, and the tips are peach, and as it opens, the centers go from purple to peach. Here they are almost all open, so it's not so dramatic.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2007
7:14 AM

Post #3672794

That's gorgeous!

Will you taking cuttings from it,as well?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #3675495

Yes, it's amazing what pretty mums you can find at the local Kroger grocery store!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #3680144

Here are some of my cuttings.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #3680231

How old are they?

Do you have them under plastic or under a mister?
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2007
11:00 PM

Post #3680243

I bought Coral Cavalier from Bluestone Perennials. - it's a football mum

Thumbnail by Seandor

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #3680245

Do you use rooting powder on those cuttings, or just poke 'em into the dirt?

Those are beautiful, seander!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 6:03 PM
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #3680246

I also bought Daisy Bronze from Bluestone

Thumbnail by Seandor

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3680249

And finally, I bought Volunteer - a large red garden mum. (also from Bluestone.)

Thumbnail by Seandor

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #3680256

I may have to get over my fear of mail-ordering...
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #3680269

The thing with mail ordering is to only use DG recommended companies. I have been using Bluestone Perennials for 2 years now. The plants are smaller than the local nursery - but cheaper -and greater selection. And they are very, very healthy!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #3680282

Thanks, Seandor! I don't mind smaller--it's fun to watch them grow. I did see a lot of positive feedback on Bluestone, so I may just give them a try. Your mums are gorgeous!
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #3680334

dstartz, I ordered the arranger's collection from King's. And I am trying to meticulously follow their directions for raising mums. Tomorrow I will cut them back as they recommend on July 1st. I will make cuttings out of them. I am really looking forward to some late color. I like to raise all kinds of cut flowers for church and the lady who does the arranging asked me to try mums. My mother always had a patch of mums and I just remember how well they last and last when cut. The mums you see in the grocery store have been treated to bloom earlier and shorter.

I have rooted all kinds of things and I hope the mums cooperate. I will put them in the shade under some sort of glass or plastic.
zeoplum
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3680350

KyWoods - I am new to gardening and I ordered from Bluestone. They have a whole section in their catalogs (and/or on their website) dedicated to Mums and that's what enticed me. I just randomly picked two that I thought would go together and ordered. I didn't even get to put them in the ground for 3 weeks once I rec'd them but they are doing fabulous! I'd say they've already grown 30% since I got them which was a total of about 7 weeks ago. They've been in the ground for 4 weeks.

I say go for it!
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3680831

Seandor. They're all really pretty, but the Coral Cavalier has caught my heart. I'm going to remember to order one next spring.

Lenjo, I've had really good luck doing cuttings on most everything I've tried, but mums have been hit and miss for me at best. Recently I had really good luck putting a cutting in a cup filled with soil, then put the cup in baggie with swollen water crystal and some soil in the bottom of it; the ones in the empty baggie died. Go figure.

A trick to help keep your mums short ,without spraying them with inhibitor, is to keep them out of any light at night once we go into short days. Even the flash of headlights will signal them to keep growing vegetation and will delay them setting blooms.

I look forward to you posting photos of your arranger's collection once they start blooming!

Thrilled to see so much mum talk,

Donna

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #3684498

Donna & KyWoods,

I have them in used potting soil leftover from wintersown seeds that didn't germinate. I water them daily, including the foliage but they are not covered, nor under a mister. They are in high shade with about 2 hours or less of direct sunlight. They are mums, and the only reason I didn't just poke them in the garden was because they might get overrun with annuals, and then I'd forget about them. (Out of sight, out of mind)

The older ones with the lesser amount of foliage were cut on June 20th and the ones with more foliage are about 1 week old. I will know when they root NOT by tugging on the cuttings, but by the new growth. From what I have seen on rooting cuttings, they will not send out any new growth until after they have thrown roots. I'm expecting it to take a month.

Suzy

Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2007
2:27 PM

Post #3685632

Good information, Suzy, yesterday being July 1st, I cut my plants from King's back to 6 inches just as they recommended and from those cut backs I then stuck quite a lot. I put them in trays of pumice and potting soil and then put those trays in a very shaded area with an old skylight on top. I will water at least once a day. I will be happy with 50% rooted. The cuttings seemed so soft compared to other things I have done. I have had some success even with roses which are more difficult. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2007
5:28 AM

Post #3776601

Here's an update on my mum cuttings...

The first pics are of some of the pots of cuttings...if I had the right software, I could put them in a photo collage/montage, but I don't own that software.

This photo is of the cuttings that did the best and the only ones ready to transplant. I didn't need to tug on them or do anything but watch the foliage...see how it has a lot of new growth? That means it's rooted. The more growth, the more roots.

I'm not sure why this pot did the best -- because there were more cuttings in the pot, and they shaded it, and therefore were less stressed when I forgot to water is the probable reason. Or did I have the pot in a place that for some reason got more, or less, sunlight? I don't know.

The mother plant on these originally had 5 stems in a 6" pot from the grocery store. I cut each of the plants down, way down, to make about 4 cuttings per piece, so about 20 cuttings in all. I planted out the 5 mother roots with a leafless stem, probably too soon, and they don't look too great. Thye're alive, and they'll bloom this year, but they won't be pretty.

Suzy

This message was edited Jul 25, 2007 1:54 AM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2007
5:34 AM

Post #3776610

This is another pot -- and it has roots, just not enough yet. I'll pull these apart on the weekend, I imagine.

There is a leaf anomaly I don't understand at the 10:00 position on this photo...those new leaves do not look like mum leaves. Does anybody have an explanation for this?

This message was edited Jul 25, 2007 1:39 AM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2007
5:38 AM

Post #3776617

This third pot is the worst one, and several cuttings have already been pulled out because they died.. There are several possible causes of this, but the main one is that they all are stems that had one basestem to root, but three above ground stems. I didn't cut the mother down to the single stems. Take a look at the pic and see if you can tell what I'm talking about.

I think the straight cuttings work best, but I didn't know that when I started this. Luckily, the mother plant(s) I ripped up of this particular variety are looking great in their 6"pots, and I'll probably plant them tomorrow.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3672703

This message was edited Jul 25, 2007 1:39 AM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2007
5:42 AM

Post #3776623

I also did some Asters from a 1/2 dead plant I bought for 1/2 price. These are Alma Potschke and the mother is doing much better after her haircut. These are ready to put into either the jumbo cell packs or a little pot for a couple weeks and will hopefully bloom yet this year.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2007
5:43 AM

Post #3776624

When I decanted the milk jug of cuttings, there were some small ones...

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2007
5:46 AM

Post #3776628

Here's a close up of one of the small ones.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2007
5:47 AM

Post #3776630

...and some big ones. These could actually be planted out in the garden, well, both the large and the small, but the place where I want to put them is a little too hot, and a little too sunny, so I'm going to sort of work them up to more and more sun.

Ideally I wouldhave taken these cuttings in late April-Early May, so they are literally 2 months behind schedule, but I still think the bigger oes will bloom this year.

This is what they'll be when they bloom.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3672744

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2007
5:49 AM

Post #3776634

And here's what they look like - this is just from that one milk jug and I stil lhave 2 or 3 6" pots of this variety. (I can't remember) And according to the clock, it took less than 15 minutes for the whole operation, including getting the potting soil off the coffee bar! LOL

Thumbnail by Illoquin

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3779036

OK, so how do I root cuttings?? Looks like they don't have to be really big pieces, huh? Do you just poke 'em into some jiffy mix? I want mine to be as successful as yours, Illoquin!
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #3788265

Oops, My reply from a couple days ago didn't go through.

KY, This time of year, you just get a cutting that includes a couple of leaves -- one of the leaves or sets of leaves, gets ripped off and put in the ground and the other leaf stays above the soil line. Yes, just stick them in a pot with some potting soil.

As soon as you see new growth, you have roots. DON'T go "tugging" on the cuttings as I have seen recomended. Just be patient. It takes a month. Keep the cuttings in high shade, mostly shade, or full shade and never let them dry out or get waterlogged :)

I cannot think of any easier plant to root than a mum. Weeds are harder to propagate!

Suzy
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2007
12:48 PM

Post #3788620

Can we still do this??? Man, I would love to start more mums :-)
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2007
1:04 PM

Post #3788674

My cuttings are looking really good.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3789200

Thanks, Suzy! I think the ones I did that way failed only because the chipmunks dug in the planter...grrrrr. Will try again, since I sprayed all the planters with stinky stuff.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2007
6:50 AM

Post #3804050

Michaela, I was hoping someone else would answer because I'm not sure.

Personally, I think they are one step away from weeds when it comes to rooting them. These are plants than need to be pinched and you can stick the "pinchings" in the soil right beside the mother plant and they'll root and bloom the same year.

So, yes, you can do it now. The downside is I don't think the mother plant or the new plants will bloom this year. My guess is that neither will bloom, so you'd be sacrificing bloom for no reason. If you want more plants, just wait til next spring and you can have 2 dozen in 3 weeks' time.

Suzy
Edited to add that Tabasco said there is a $1.00 sale at Park's Seeds going on now and I knew you'd want to know about it as soon as possible!!!!! ROTFL!

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 2:53 AM
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2007
10:15 AM

Post #3804152

Man, Suzy . . . the pastry drawer in the fridge is sooooo stuffed with seeds, there is no room for good stuff like muffins and pies (gee . . . maybe I will lose some weight . . .) It doesn't help that I continue to collect seeds for sharing for winter sowing . . . :-)

I agree with you regarding the mums. I want to see the blossoms this year - they are all new this spring. Once I see if they are worth making new ones I will make lots for others.

Cheers,
Michaela
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2007
4:02 PM

Post #3805328

I sure hope we can because I accidentally broke off a huge branch from one of my mums late last Friday night while trying to move it. I cut it up into 10 smaller pieces, dipped the ends in rooting hormone, stuck them in small plastic cups filled with soil heavily laced with water crystals, put them all in a clear plastic box, turned another one upside down over it, 'locked' them together using a bunge cord, then placed it under an expanded metal table in a semi-shaded area of my GH.

As of today the leaves are still torpid (stiff). (she said gratefully)

I think that a large part of what has helped is the branch was 'taken' about 11:00 pm. The branch was fully hydrated and then had an entire night of cooler temps to adjust to it's new way of life.

edited to correct a typo

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by dstartz

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #3806197

That's brilliant! with luck you could have up to 10 new plants!
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #3806824

From your mouth to God's ear!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #3817058

Dendranthema 'Rhumba' & 'Bolero'. Dendranthema are hardy garden mums. I bought them from Hallson Gardens.
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #3827199

Seandor,

What does your Coral Cavalier look like now? How tall is it? Did you need to stake it? I don't know a thing about football mums, but yours is so pretty I had to ask.

Suzy
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3870480

sorry - I was away camping - just got back yesterday.

Uh the Coral Cavalier looks green (lol) - it's about 27 inches tall - I didn't stake it, but then, this is the first year - and it is planted in a hedge with other mums for support. I can't wait to see what the blooms look like :-)
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2007
4:56 PM

Post #3871239

Oh, okay. When it blooms, will you take a photo for us?

Suzy
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #3871457

The one I bought from the grocery store for Mother's Day that the critters tore up was just coming back around real good. Yesterday I go out to water, and the little #*@& s dug it up again! I guess it's been too long since I sprayed the stinky stuff! I need to make a notation on the calendar for that chore. grrr...
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #3878259

Everybody post pictures of their mums this fall :-)
myresortonahill
PICKETT, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #3885485

I bought cutting from King's Mums, and they are all doing great (even the cuttings that broke off when we sprayed off the aphids). I have some border mums from Bluestone. I'll post pics when they bloom.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #4047514

Gm Morning
I have a fall picture to share with you all My Mums I'm Not sure if the joke is on me or the gal who sent me these mums long story short
I traded with a lady in wa my plants for 8 different colors of her Muns that she had for trade , well her is what she sent to me & well I just would like
to say to her thank you :) after babing these beauties for the last 2 yrs here is what they look like today :) .
I guess when some traders figure your a newbie you will fall for anything & yep I did .
lesson learned :)
this one was taken a couple days ago . So I would like to ask when is the best time to take cutting from the parent plants ?
& what is the best way to grow them out in the open sunlight or under a grow light ?

thank you for letting me share with you :)hope to see your pictures also .

susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2007
1:25 PM

Post #4047614

Hi Deejay, They look gorgeous! Yeah, all the same color, but it is glorious! I have a lot of red & pink ones if you want to trade next year :)

You take cuttings when you do your pinchings - the pinchings ARE your cuttings. Othewise, June is the best month.

If you look up the thread you'll see some of mine and the dates I made them. They are blooming now...including the Asters.

Suzy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #4047785

Here is another one of my mums planted last fall .
Thank you for the info & I sure will try that this next year . as for trading colors with you all I'd love to I just hope you Don't mind that they are not named . I just enjoy the beauty not the name :)

susie

Thumbnail by deejay9

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #4048176

LOTS of buds . . . still waiting for blooms . . . sigh
spidra
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4077015

dstartz, which nursery is WW?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #4077047

Just bought a couple of gorgeous mums from the local grocer--sign said "locally grown". Will post pics tomorrow.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mums and Asters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Aster Blue Ribbon Sue_WA 8 Nov 27, 2009 11:54 PM
Pinching back mums...... orange_knickers 11 Aug 17, 2007 5:16 AM
Cutting back fall Asters? rainy_jane 27 Aug 30, 2007 3:26 PM
How many others have lost their mum? leaflady 40 Jul 9, 2007 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America