What Chrysanthemums Have You Bought This Year?

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

I got this one at WW the other day and I have an order coming in next week from King's. http://dstartz.com/2007_Kings.htm

Donna

Thumbnail by dstartz
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, my!! What an incredible garden you will have!

This message was edited Jun 23, 2007 6:45 PM

Not yet, but hopefully next year.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I order two 3-packs of mums from Bluestone and they are planted in a new bed I just created around my mailbox. I bought Sienna Bronze and Red Climax. Should make for a nice Fall color display, don't you think?

I'm a new gardener and this will be my first experience with Mums but I'm really excited to see how it'll turn out.

Red Climax http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/MRECLS.html
Sienna Bronze http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/MSIBRS.html

This message was edited Jun 24, 2007 7:32 AM

I love the tight,tiny blooms of the Red Climax. It reminds me of a favorite in my garden, Barbara http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/74085/ .

The Sienna Bronze ought to look terrific in the fall with all the different colors in the trees,etc. You'll have to post a picture once they all start to bloom.

Donna

Thumbnail by dstartz

I got my rooted cuttings from King's Mums today! Yippee!!

Thumbnail by dstartz
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I bought this one -- it reminded me of Lincolnitess. I hope to be able to send her some cuttings about the size of the ones you got from King's in a month's time or so. The flowers are on the ground because I ripped them off when I was making those cuttings.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Those are so pretty!

Where'd you get them?

The florist at the grocery store. They had a tag in them saying the name and that they were hardy down to -30 degrees (not that I believe that, but I bet they're hardy down to -15 or -20.) I spent a long time choosing the plant I wanted to buy and when I got home, I realized I must have chosen the only pot without a tag! I need to go back tomorrow to either filch a tag from another pot or at least get the name. How dumb!

Suzy

LOL! That sounds like something I'd do. But the important thing is you got the best plant!!

Please post a picture when they're ready to transplant.

Donna

Ok. I'll be sure to post.

Here's another one I bought, also from the grocery, but on a different trip. (I like to hide my plant purchases and skimp on the food a bit -- what Mr. Clean doesn't know won't hurt him!)

The buds open purple, and the tips are peach, and as it opens, the centers go from purple to peach. Here they are almost all open, so it's not so dramatic.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

That's gorgeous!

Will you taking cuttings from it,as well?

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, it's amazing what pretty mums you can find at the local Kroger grocery store!

Here are some of my cuttings.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

How old are they?

Do you have them under plastic or under a mister?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I bought Coral Cavalier from Bluestone Perennials. - it's a football mum

Thumbnail by Seandor
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Do you use rooting powder on those cuttings, or just poke 'em into the dirt?

Those are beautiful, seander!

This message was edited Jun 30, 2007 6:03 PM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I also bought Daisy Bronze from Bluestone

Thumbnail by Seandor
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

And finally, I bought Volunteer - a large red garden mum. (also from Bluestone.)

Thumbnail by Seandor
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I may have to get over my fear of mail-ordering....

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

The thing with mail ordering is to only use DG recommended companies. I have been using Bluestone Perennials for 2 years now. The plants are smaller than the local nursery - but cheaper -and greater selection. And they are very, very healthy!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Seandor! I don't mind smaller--it's fun to watch them grow. I did see a lot of positive feedback on Bluestone, so I may just give them a try. Your mums are gorgeous!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

dstartz, I ordered the arranger's collection from King's. And I am trying to meticulously follow their directions for raising mums. Tomorrow I will cut them back as they recommend on July 1st. I will make cuttings out of them. I am really looking forward to some late color. I like to raise all kinds of cut flowers for church and the lady who does the arranging asked me to try mums. My mother always had a patch of mums and I just remember how well they last and last when cut. The mums you see in the grocery store have been treated to bloom earlier and shorter.

I have rooted all kinds of things and I hope the mums cooperate. I will put them in the shade under some sort of glass or plastic.

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

KyWoods - I am new to gardening and I ordered from Bluestone. They have a whole section in their catalogs (and/or on their website) dedicated to Mums and that's what enticed me. I just randomly picked two that I thought would go together and ordered. I didn't even get to put them in the ground for 3 weeks once I rec'd them but they are doing fabulous! I'd say they've already grown 30% since I got them which was a total of about 7 weeks ago. They've been in the ground for 4 weeks.

I say go for it!

Seandor. They're all really pretty, but the Coral Cavalier has caught my heart. I'm going to remember to order one next spring.

Lenjo, I've had really good luck doing cuttings on most everything I've tried, but mums have been hit and miss for me at best. Recently I had really good luck putting a cutting in a cup filled with soil, then put the cup in baggie with swollen water crystal and some soil in the bottom of it; the ones in the empty baggie died. Go figure.

A trick to help keep your mums short ,without spraying them with inhibitor, is to keep them out of any light at night once we go into short days. Even the flash of headlights will signal them to keep growing vegetation and will delay them setting blooms.

I look forward to you posting photos of your arranger's collection once they start blooming!

Thrilled to see so much mum talk,

Donna

Donna & KyWoods,

I have them in used potting soil leftover from wintersown seeds that didn't germinate. I water them daily, including the foliage but they are not covered, nor under a mister. They are in high shade with about 2 hours or less of direct sunlight. They are mums, and the only reason I didn't just poke them in the garden was because they might get overrun with annuals, and then I'd forget about them. (Out of sight, out of mind)

The older ones with the lesser amount of foliage were cut on June 20th and the ones with more foliage are about 1 week old. I will know when they root NOT by tugging on the cuttings, but by the new growth. From what I have seen on rooting cuttings, they will not send out any new growth until after they have thrown roots. I'm expecting it to take a month.

Suzy

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Good information, Suzy, yesterday being July 1st, I cut my plants from King's back to 6 inches just as they recommended and from those cut backs I then stuck quite a lot. I put them in trays of pumice and potting soil and then put those trays in a very shaded area with an old skylight on top. I will water at least once a day. I will be happy with 50% rooted. The cuttings seemed so soft compared to other things I have done. I have had some success even with roses which are more difficult. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Here's an update on my mum cuttings....

The first pics are of some of the pots of cuttings...if I had the right software, I could put them in a photo collage/montage, but I don't own that software.

This photo is of the cuttings that did the best and the only ones ready to transplant. I didn't need to tug on them or do anything but watch the foliage....see how it has a lot of new growth? That means it's rooted. The more growth, the more roots.

I'm not sure why this pot did the best -- because there were more cuttings in the pot, and they shaded it, and therefore were less stressed when I forgot to water is the probable reason. Or did I have the pot in a place that for some reason got more, or less, sunlight? I don't know.

The mother plant on these originally had 5 stems in a 6" pot from the grocery store. I cut each of the plants down, way down, to make about 4 cuttings per piece, so about 20 cuttings in all. I planted out the 5 mother roots with a leafless stem, probably too soon, and they don't look too great. Thye're alive, and they'll bloom this year, but they won't be pretty.

Suzy

This message was edited Jul 25, 2007 1:54 AM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

This is another pot -- and it has roots, just not enough yet. I'll pull these apart on the weekend, I imagine.

There is a leaf anomaly I don't understand at the 10:00 position on this photo...those new leaves do not look like mum leaves. Does anybody have an explanation for this?

This message was edited Jul 25, 2007 1:39 AM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

This third pot is the worst one, and several cuttings have already been pulled out because they died.. There are several possible causes of this, but the main one is that they all are stems that had one basestem to root, but three above ground stems. I didn't cut the mother down to the single stems. Take a look at the pic and see if you can tell what I'm talking about.

I think the straight cuttings work best, but I didn't know that when I started this. Luckily, the mother plant(s) I ripped up of this particular variety are looking great in their 6"pots, and I'll probably plant them tomorrow.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3672703

This message was edited Jul 25, 2007 1:39 AM

Thumbnail by Illoquin

I also did some Asters from a 1/2 dead plant I bought for 1/2 price. These are Alma Potschke and the mother is doing much better after her haircut. These are ready to put into either the jumbo cell packs or a little pot for a couple weeks and will hopefully bloom yet this year.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

When I decanted the milk jug of cuttings, there were some small ones....

Thumbnail by Illoquin

Here's a close up of one of the small ones.

Thumbnail by Illoquin

...and some big ones. These could actually be planted out in the garden, well, both the large and the small, but the place where I want to put them is a little too hot, and a little too sunny, so I'm going to sort of work them up to more and more sun.

Ideally I wouldhave taken these cuttings in late April-Early May, so they are literally 2 months behind schedule, but I still think the bigger oes will bloom this year.

This is what they'll be when they bloom.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3672744

Thumbnail by Illoquin

And here's what they look like - this is just from that one milk jug and I stil lhave 2 or 3 6" pots of this variety. (I can't remember) And according to the clock, it took less than 15 minutes for the whole operation, including getting the potting soil off the coffee bar! LOL

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

OK, so how do I root cuttings?? Looks like they don't have to be really big pieces, huh? Do you just poke 'em into some jiffy mix? I want mine to be as successful as yours, Illoquin!

Oops, My reply from a couple days ago didn't go through.

KY, This time of year, you just get a cutting that includes a couple of leaves -- one of the leaves or sets of leaves, gets ripped off and put in the ground and the other leaf stays above the soil line. Yes, just stick them in a pot with some potting soil.

As soon as you see new growth, you have roots. DON'T go "tugging" on the cuttings as I have seen recomended. Just be patient. It takes a month. Keep the cuttings in high shade, mostly shade, or full shade and never let them dry out or get waterlogged :)

I cannot think of any easier plant to root than a mum. Weeds are harder to propagate!

Suzy

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Can we still do this??? Man, I would love to start more mums :-)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

My cuttings are looking really good.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Suzy! I think the ones I did that way failed only because the chipmunks dug in the planter...grrrrr. Will try again, since I sprayed all the planters with stinky stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.