Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Is it too late to transplant Black-eyed Susans?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ktressler
Grapeville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #3653314

A neighbor is separating hers and offered me some. Is it too late in the year to get them to take after transplant? Any advice is appreciated!
sybiltwo
Excelsior, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 24, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #3653320

Plant away!!!! It is a perennial. It may not bloom as well this year, but most certainly it's O.K. to plant now.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #3654754

Make sure they stay watered well throughout the summer. It will put less stress on the plants and they will reward you next year with a great show.
ktressler
Grapeville, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
4:21 PM

Post #3656428

Thanks so much! I will water away until the roots settle in then.
Marshmellow
Fitchburg, MA

June 26, 2007
2:10 PM

Post #3660131

If they're free, I say why not try. But, black eyed susans don't like to be moved. I planted 9 of them this year, 4 died, 3 were borderline for about 2 months (some went down to 1 leaf, but there's new growth now I think they'll make it). I purchased another 2 to make up for the lost ones but this time knowing how difficult they are and how much they hate to be moved really worked up the hole with a lot of compost & organic fertilizer and they seem to have taken well. My co-worker seperated them, and all her transfers died.

So, make sure you put them in really good dirt with compost and sprinkle organic fertilizer in the mix as well, and you'll need to water them almost daily for a couple weeks but don't be surprised to have heavy losses. Maybe others have had more luck with them.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2007 10:11 AM
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #3660504

If they are the big Indian Summers they are touchy. I have those and the old tried and true standard blackeyed susans. I started the standards down by my creek where they multiplied like crazy. I've since moved clumps to several other locations and had wonderful results. As stated, this late in the summer just keep them well watered. I think they put on a magnificant show when they get size to them and they are so easy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America