Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: coneflowers

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 16, Views: 200
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mwood4d
Barnegat, NJ

June 25, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #3654006

Hi...first time on Dave's Garden...i've puchased some coneflowers/purple and yellow...am wondering do i cut the flowers to stimulate more flowers like i do with zinnias or will they produce flowers on their own???? thanks for your help.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #3654022

Hi,

As far as I know, that works with nearly all flowers, so go ahead and cut them as flowers for inside or cut them off outside after the bloom is spent.

Karen
mwood4d
Barnegat, NJ

June 25, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #3654044

thanks for answering...i'll try that...can't hurt i quess and as you said i'll have a flower or two for a vase inside...thanks ...m

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #3654596

Yes, it helps to deadhead them to keep them blooming. Otherwise, they will go to seed. If you deadhead they should bloom into the fall. Then, if you want to, leave some flower heads on and let go to seed for the birds to eat. Finches love them!
planolinda
Plano, TX

June 28, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3669845

i just planted cone flower seeds in little peat pots--has anyone planted them this way? they are a wild perenial i think--if i plant them into the soil is it true that wild perenials shouldn't have the soil enriched? can i plant the seeds directly into the soil also--and just turn the soil over a little and keep wet?
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3684305

I don't know how the zone difference would affect germination, but I have found coneflowers notoriously hard to germinate. I finally bought some, and let them set seed at the end of the summer. They happily propagated themselves. I don't think that the newer hybrids seed true as a rule, but the purple standbys and Magnus seem to.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 2, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #3684482

thank you--i wish i had asked which perenial seeds are best to plant befire i gave it a try! but since i can try again, which are the best?
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2007
4:10 AM

Post #3684518

Most varieties of Shasta daisys are easy and I've had great luck with mealycup sages. If you are looking to start perennial beds, check out the plant trading forum, too. I have some great diversity from trading there.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 2, 2007
4:16 AM

Post #3684532

i love the idea of trading plants and plant seeds! i look forward to trying it one day- the problem is, i just started my gardening obsession and so do not have any seeds to trade! my seeds are just the Burpie seeds from the local Home Depot! but i'd love to hear about how the trading has worked for you--
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #3684557

Usually I trade plants for plants. Look for offers that say 'for postage' or offer traders postage for things until you get started. Lots of things spread well and get traded a lot like canna and yarrow. Some people are only looking to trade, but will be nice when they respond to you. You could also start a thread on the forum to let people know what kinds of things that you are looking for 'for postage'. Sun plants, shade plants, color preferences? It also helps to list your address in the exchange if you haven't already.
Bev
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 2, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3685582

thanks--i like the for postage idea--i just found dave's garden and still learning about it so i appreciate your insites--i have not joined (in other words i haven't a paid membership yet) thought i would see how i like it --i guess you would need to join to trade--one last question--when they send a plant is it hard to send? how do they package it? do you need to notify the post office that it is a living plant? when they arrive are they still alive and healthy? ok-i know--more than ONE question but since you are so helpful i just keep thinking of more to ask!! thanks again
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3686224

I started lurking about, too, but subscribed in very short order. This site has soooo much for any level of gardener. I can't imagine not being able to get to all the other parts. Great people here! Lots of help with identifying plants, great ratings for mail order companies, suggestions from folks with wonderful experience with whatever the subject, and just plain fun! Lots of people from TX on the forums...you could even meet some near your area.
I think for the most part, subscribers like to trade with other subscribers, so I guess you would need to join. When you can acess the plant trading forum, there is a sticky at the top about packaging plants that is very helpful. I have sent plants as far away as Pakistan with no problem, believe it or not.
I usually just send things regualr priority mail. They will arrive withing 2-3 days in good shape in my experience. Good communication with your traders by d-mail is essential to monitor things.
Did I answer all your questions? Let me know.
Bev
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 2, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #3686611

yes--thank you so much---does trade for postage mean i send postage stamps to cover what they are mailing me? or do they send it and then i check what i owe them ? maybe it depends on who is mailing?
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #3686955

Some traders have Paypal accounts that you can pay to. Others have just sent a check for the postage costs. You must always work that out when you do a trade individually.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 10, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3718874

thanks--
KTsGarden
Ocean County, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2007
9:16 PM

Post #3724822

or find a local gardening club, or round up neighbors or friends and family members to start your own little club share ideas, tips and see what every one has. Trade amongst yourselves locally! I saw on our local TV info channel an ad for a local gardenning club and when they meet once a month. I'm going to catch a session next time they gather and introduce myself and go from there. I have found most gardenners are willing to trade and even just give to help beginners get going. They know before long their own plants will be bountiful and they will give in return! I know I never mind giving a piece of a plant away!
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 12, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #3727678

you are so right! i saw a house with beautiful landscaping while i was walking--i visited a bit--to make a long story short--she has been like a garden mentor to me--and she gives me starts of her plants all the time--even house plants--

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America