Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Voting Booth: What's covering your feet when you garden?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 253, Views: 2,434
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

June 25, 2007
9:49 AM

Post #3655397

There are a total of 802 votes:

Sandals are my favorite summer footwear
(223 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Tennis shoes are my must-wear shoes
(210 votes, 26%)
Red dot

I wear work boots when I'm gardening
(55 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I am usually found barefoot in the garden
(119 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other?
(195 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
10:09 AM

Post #3655413

I normally wear garden clogs--

I used to go barefoot sometimes until I stepped on a snake.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
10:10 AM

Post #3655414

Wooo hoooo I'm first, I'm first, I'm first!

I have such horrible feet, and don't forget I'm doing this all in an electric wheelchair. I've had lots of surgeries on one of my wide short high instepped feet. So I wear the leather washable Keds. Which are not quite tennis shoes but almost. They're the only shoes I have never gotten a pressure sore from. I have 2 pair, one black and one white. I not only wear them to garden, but to drive, to go to MD appointments, to go to elegant dinners out, to go to community service awards, ad nauseum.

xxx, Carrie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
10:12 AM

Post #3655416

Oh... I typed too slowly... Well, I was first while I was typing.

x, C

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
10:16 AM

Post #3655426

Is the tennis shoes vs, sneakers thing a regional issue? [they're "trainers" in the UK, I believe.] I know what you mean, but I've never played tennis in my life. I do, however, do a lot of sneaking.

x, C
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
10:52 AM

Post #3655458

I prefer flip-flops but when I'll be working hard all day, I wear sneaks with supportive insloes and thick socks. not as comfy in the short term but my ankle, knee, and back prefer sneakers.

Maggie
princessnonie
New Caney, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3655503

Rubber rain boots..Galoshes, that is..
Fire ants don't seem to climb them..
Lynn

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 25, 2007
11:24 AM

Post #3655504

flip flops are the preferred foot wear! If grass is wet and I have to do a lot of walking around I slip on DH's rubber boots. and last tennis shoes if it is picking rocks for raised beds!
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
11:27 AM

Post #3655511

I am a good old hillbilly girl. Hate shoes and don't wear them unless I have to. Life is so much better with bare feet. Yes it is.
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
11:58 AM

Post #3655564

I wear sneakers if I am digging (I have to stand on the shovel), but mostly I wear flip flops or just go barefoot. Tamara
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
12:00 PM

Post #3655567

I prefer black wingtips.
IrisLover79
Westchester, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
12:01 PM

Post #3655572

I put other, because I usually wear gym shoes (not the same as tennis shoes), but I also go barefoot a lot, too. I don't go barefoot as often as I used to, though, after stepping on a bee! OUCH! I'm allergic, too, so my whole foot and calf swelled up! But, I love the feeling of grass between my toes too much to give it up completely, lol. I just try to watch where I step, now!

~Kris
IrisLover79
Westchester, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #3655574

Dave, LOL!

~Kris

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #3655586

Not tennis shoes, but they are rubber soled walkers. I start out each spring with a new pair, and swear I won't wear them for gardening, to keep them nice and clean. I have several old pairs in the garage, which I can slip on on the way to the outdoors, they were all once pristine. Usually by June, I have forgotten my "keep 'em clean" promise and the new ones start to resemble the old ones. I refer to the new ones as my dress shoes, as they go everywhere I go...due to my fallen arches and the need for orthoticss. I dread the occasion where I may need to wear "real" shoes. Maybe I won't go.
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #3655588

LOL DAVE!!

I wear my Birki's for most gardening work, but when it comes to mowing or digging, out come the Sketcher's and orthotics. :-(

Oh, well-at least nothing stops me yet, if I have the proper shoes on.

I loved to wear my Crocs, in the early morning while the dew is out-but I SHRUNK them in the dryer. Oops. LOL

Sasha

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 7:11 AM
Artgal
Evans, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2007
12:14 PM

Post #3655597

I was so happy to "discover" garden clogs. Easy to clean and easy to slip on and off if I need to return into the house.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #3655615

Funny, Dave!

I wear the most comfortable but ragged looking K Mart zip up things on my feet. Not tennis shoes and not sneakers - just pathetic. I have three pair and save the best ones for nursery shopping. Any day now I expect if I wear the really worn ones to a nursery people will start giving me donations for new shoes.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3655617

Gardening clogs ~ I would rather be barefoot but hate the sticker grass! The Croc type clogs let the toes get dirty as they should!
Equilibrium

June 25, 2007
12:22 PM

Post #3655622

-Flip flops when I am planting or watering.
-Some sort of a tall rubber boot that a girlfriend gave me when I'm out working in the wetlands. They're a little too big but they were free.
-Anything hard soled to dig holes or use the weed wrench.
-Steel toed work boots when I am removing undesirables with a chainsaw.
-Crocs every once in a while when I remember I own them. They certainly are comfortable and easy to clean.

I used to run around barefoot a lot until I had to pull a few too many thorns out of my feet. Hawthorn trees have nasty thorns that can go right in your foot straight through a flip flop but they're better than being barefoot around here.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007

Post #3655626

Pirl ~ maybe they will donate plants? Hmmmmm... LOL
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3655639

I'm in love with my Crocs. They are so comfortable!

If I'm doing heavy labor though (hauling rocks, etc.) I usually end up in sneakers.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
12:31 PM

Post #3655648

Podster - I've already brought people home from a nursery to give them plants!

I used to love going barefoot but with sharp pine needles, thorns, and most of all the occasional wandering slugs I can't do it anymore.
Equilibrium

June 25, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #3655679

Ewwww, squished slugs between toes! Now there's a pleasant thought.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
12:47 PM

Post #3655697

Crocs except when I'm digging, then harder-soled tennis shoes.

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
1:02 PM

Post #3655731

Barefoot if just puttering, crocs, sandals if weeding or watering, sneakers if i'm mowing and sh_t kickers if I'm using a shovel or spreading...well you get the idea.
mysterypoodle
Toddville, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
1:03 PM

Post #3655735

A few years ago, I found THE MOST comfortable shoes in the world, a suede slip-on by Bare Traps. I bought 6 pair, and wore the heck out of them. Now that they are no longer acceptable in public, they are my gardening shoes. I know it sounds horrible -- suede? -- but they are water resistant and all lined on the inside and so comfortable. But I have got to look an absolute sight in sweaty, muddy shorts, t-shirt and headband to hold sweaty hair out of face (headband somehow always clashes with rest of colors, I don't know why), then add on these black or tan suede shoes... Thank heavens I live generally out of sight in the country; the folks who wander back here to visit me must be strong souls!

But Meezers, I do suffer from the "oh, I'm just going to run up to the barn, I won't get these dirty" syndrome with "good" shoes, too. So I have a few pair of Skechers now only suitable for gardening. I can't wear anything that laces... after all these years of tripping over untied laces, I now only wear slip-ons and am doing much better, thank you!

My burning question is how many pair of gardening shoes do you have? I feel the need to keep a pair by each door, then another in case those have gotten wet or too muddy and need to dry off a bit, and then another in case you forgot to put one pair back... my husband thinks my piles muddy, ugly shoes by doors are possibly unnecessary. What do you think?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #3655752

Perfectly acceptable, mysterypoodle! I have three pair of the zip up pathetic shoes and would never consider laces. My brother's shoelace became untied while he was ascending a ladder and he fell, dying ten days later at 29 back in 1961. I have fits when I see people with untied laces, as you might expect, and insist they tie the shoes or leave the property.
guardians
Thomson, GA

June 25, 2007
1:18 PM

Post #3655760

Well, before I got a bunion thingy that makes my big toe hurt, I was barefoot or sandals all the time. I HATED shoes. But I hate foot pain worse. After trying many different types, I finally settled on Dr. Shoals gellin' athetic shoes. I am on my feet in varying situations all day every day for work, so they really helped with the excrutiating pain. (The other alternative was surgery, and I couldn't deal with 6 weeks off my feet to heal) After 6-8 months of almost exclusively wearing these, my toe hardly hurts anymore, except when it's going to rain, LOL, which hasn't been much lately! I even got some Dr. Shoals sandals for church and other dressier occasions.

So when my shoes get to looking sad, they get recycled to gardening sneaks! These dry really quickly, and I have thrown them in the washer & dryer. Love 'em!
ownedbycats
Southern, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3655939

I would love to go barefoot - but just not possible - too many critters (bees, spiders, snakes...)

I have a pair of croc's for spring, and a pair of TESA sandals. The only problem with the sandals is I get the most interesting tan lines...

I have quite a few pair of Birkenstock - but they are my "good" shoes that I wear to work.
n4jmx
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2007
2:08 PM

Post #3655950

Living here in Wauchula, Florida, I would never think about going barefoot in my garden. Between the "Fire Ants" and poisonous snakes we find here, it just isn't a good idea.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2007
2:15 PM

Post #3655976

With my feet the poditrist insists on New Balance tennis shoes with thick socks. I think I've wore the pads of my feet out wearing sandals and such for years. He said to get them 1/2 size bigger for when my feet swell in the evenings.

Jeri
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #3655988

Love my Crocs, to date have 5 pair and begging for #6. If I can't wear my Crocs I'm not going...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #3655993

Crocs are the only shoe ,period...wash the mud off and put them back on!!
I didn't turn to crocs until I had ruined every pair of sandals in my closet (seriously)...
Now I am waiting for July 4 th to get sandals on sale...
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #3655996

Carrie: It's tennis shoes in Michigan---still call them that in Texas. Good point!

I wear sandels year round...even if I'm in snow. I like to be able to kick shoes off quickly once I step in the house---I hate shoes. Wouldn't dare go barefoot in a Texas garden though with all the critters that live in the yard. :)
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

June 25, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3656004

I wear good sturdy and comfortable Reeboks and white cotton socks (rubber soled 'walkers') usually . When it's muddy I wear my Muck (brand) shoes (rubbers shoes that only come up to my ankles). The Muck shoes are very comfortable and alot my comfortable than the 'cheaper' priced mud shoes. I also wear my Muck shoes anytime the grass is wet.

Regarding the Crocs (brand) shoes; there are several styles of the Croc shoes...

Which ones do you all wear for the garden? Could you let me know please? What color(s) do you all prefer? What are the positives to them? What are the negatives to them? Don't you all get alot of soil, rocks/pebbles, sticks, mulch, etc... in your feet? Aren't your feet real dirty afterward? Do you ever 'turn your ankles' when wearing them in the garden or otherwise? Thanks!

Marilyn

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 10:28 AM

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 11:08 AM

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 6:36 PM
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #3656017

ownedbycats, yuppers I get those same interesting tan lines from my sandals. My feet are the first things to tan. I live in them. Seems my feet are constantly wet when gardening so it has to be sandals. Can't stand the feeling of sloshing around in wet shoes. It's easier to just kick 'em off when I have to run into the house for something too.
forcingflowers
Grifton, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3656056

flips flops,should have stock in them.I even have a pair of Halloween flip flops...If I only could work in them...HD
Scorpioangel
Gold Hill, OR
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
2:47 PM

Post #3656068

Barefoot most of the time, but I do wear sandals if the ground gets too hot from the summer sun ... :) don't have that many critters to worry about stepping on around here.
I only wear shoes when I 'have' to ... even in the winter ... love the feel of Mother Earth under my feet. ;)

DebiV
Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3656076

I voted other. I used to only wear the original wood Dr. Scholls outside. But now I have changed to the croc type shoe with the vents in them. Toes are always dirty in the spring/ summer. A little extra chlorine in the pool helps, too!
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
2:57 PM

Post #3656096

Marilyn,

I wear the crocs that look like clogs, but they have an ankle strap. They are extremely comfortable and cool, waterproof and easy to clean. As for the negatives, well you listed them, LOL. Yes, soil and pebbles sometimes find their way in through the holes. But one shake of the foot and they fall out too. My feet are FILTHY after a day in the garden. But I'm still doing a lot of digging and planting. They are not as bad if I'm just mosey-ing around, deadheading or watering. Sometimes I wear old socks with them - it helps with the sand and dirty feet problem. And, yes, I have turned my ankle in them as well. That is why I wear sneakers if I'm doing any really heavy yardwork. But they truly are perfect for light to medium labor gardening.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
3:04 PM

Post #3656111

I have several different style Croc's I have the Beach, which is the normal ones with the holes I have several Clouds, these have vents but also have a protected toe and also have a pair of closed Endeavors. DH has a pair of the Scutes and a pair of the Beach. My next pair will be the ones with the enhanced arch support..
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #3656121

Oh wow, I didn't realize there were so many different kinds. I've just seen flip flops, clogs, and clogs with straps!
Marianinark
Compton, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
3:14 PM

Post #3656132

If the grass is wet...which it usually is, I wear slip-on boots. If it is dry, I wear inexpensive slip-on shoes, either canvas or other material.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

June 25, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #3656134

I clicked onto the Crocs website (they have alot more than I thought) lol

http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

Thanks for your info!

Marilyn
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
3:20 PM

Post #3656152

I wear whatever I have on.. which is bad news for my good shoes.. Mostly I wear sandals but I have a pair of slip on garden tennies that I wear a lot. They are open in the back and I can kick them off when I go inside. I hate it when I forget and wear them to the store.. I'll be shopping and look and and see these muddly green things and I just cringe..lol..
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

June 25, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #3656163

Araness,

What are the Clouds like? I didn't see them listed on the Crocs website.

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

June 25, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #3656172

Are the Crocs with or without the back strap more comfortable?
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

June 25, 2007
3:31 PM

Post #3656214

What stores do you all buy your Crocs?
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #3656235

Of course, sandals are my preferred footwear, but I've ruined many a pair by venturing into the garden with them on!

I bought "crocs" just for gardening-- then I found myself falling out of them when moving heavy objects...

so now it's back to socks and sneakers for heavy work and work with mowers, trimmers, etc.

But I do so much outside that my feet get dirty anyway, and always look like I've been barefoot!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3656241

Crocs (open-toed), Sloggers (for a quick trip outside or watering), old sneakers, or light boots.

Re Crocs - I only have two pair (so far!). The open-toed ones (Nile) are not as comfortable as the Cayman, IMO, mainly because the latter have better arch support.

I haven't had trouble with tripping. The only thing is I keep thinking I have slippers on when I wear my Caymans shopping, etc. :-)

KatyMac
So. Puget Sound, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2007
3:39 PM

Post #3656255

I like my Crocs except when I'm digging. Then I wear heavy sole slip-ons, the ones from Lands End.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #3656261

Other - cutting the lawn, or running the weed-eater, etc. requires work boots, light work can be done in the tennis shoes, if I am just walking and looking, or watering, sandals are preferred. I only go "bare foot" in the house and then at my own peril as this place has many dangers. Too many grand children's toys about to be totally safe.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3656274

I wear whatever I slip on. I have loafers by the door, sandals, tennis shoes, flip flops, boots, you name it. I'm not picky about what I wear gardening.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #3656371

Don't know what crocs are, but barefoot never, I use my old rainboots from UK, called Wellingtons - don't know what you call them here, they come halfway up my legs so nothing can get me! I found out the hard way about them fire ants!
LeSnow
Round Lake Beach, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
4:19 PM

Post #3656420

Being from Hawaii I am so use to going barefooted, but, after I step on something I get my crocs.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

June 25, 2007
4:29 PM

Post #3656455

bare feet here, always...I even forget sometimes and hop in the car to go to town barefoot...I have learned the walmart won't let you shop barefoot :(
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3656475

My DH still has his Wellies, seemama! As kids, we just called them rain boots here in California.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
4:41 PM

Post #3656494

Run a weed eater through poison ivy or poison oak just one time w/sandals on and it will break you of the habit. LOUD experience talks.
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #3656506

Barefoot, but I'm forced to wear bog boots when I'm in the rose garden-ouch!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #3656508

[quote]Don't know what crocs are[/quote]
A bit like alligators, but meaner
http://www.lennytheboxer.com/myrtle/pages/Crocs.htm

Resin
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
4:46 PM

Post #3656510

Wellies sound too distinguished for east Tx. We call them "chicken plant" boots. You can tell where folks work by that footwear.

I keep a pair of them for the toad stranglers we occasionally get tho.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
4:50 PM

Post #3656525

Dave - I might need pics of you in the wingtips.

I wear crocs and my airwalk'crocs' - except when it's cold.
Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
5:10 PM

Post #3656596

very cute Resin! :)
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #3656651

I have garden clogs but I voted sneakers/tennis shoes because I have much more stamina for extended gardening when I wear my lace-ups.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #3656686

wow, a lot of bare-footers. Don't you guys have pokey things and rocks in your yards?

I wear Mucks. I have a pair of the tall, almost knee-highs for rainy weather (live in the PNW so they get a lot of use) and the low ones for all the rest of the time. I find they very comfortable and they keep my feet completely dry. They go on and off easy too.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them. I see them in a lot of nurseries. They're costly but I don't imagine I'll every have to buy another pair. I've had them 3+ years and they look as good as the day I bought them.

Gwen
Arias
Richmond, VA

June 25, 2007
5:32 PM

Post #3656688

Sneakers...I have several pairs that I picked up at a discount shoe store. Some are lace up, some slip on's. I find that sneakers don't depress the lawn as much as clogs or boots. I must confess I wore out a pair of Wellie's, like Prince Charles wears. The neighbor's laugh and shake their heads. They know I'm strange. Happy Gardening, dear people.

Arias
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #3656741

I wear tennies mostly. I do wear crocks sometimes, when I need to put something on my feet quickly -- I go barefooted in the house. Sometimes the crocs even stay on all day, but I think my feet feel better at the end of the day with good quality tennies. Now, the next time I go to a big museum, however, it will be crocks. I almost died of shin splints at the Getty in LA-- miles and miles of Travertine and we couldn't stand to miss anything.
gillibean
Cardiff, ON
(Zone 4a)

June 25, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #3656800

Sandals for me usually. I'm in the process of removing all of the stray thistle plants in our yard which will make barefoot much more enjoyable. I tend to have a pile at both the front door and back door. If I'm out of sandals there, any shoes are fair game.

I do wear work boots while mowing, with my overactive imagination I have visions of slicing off a toe without them. I also wear a 20 year old pair of loafers for digging - they're sooo comfortable and easy to slip on and off.
mmistyrose
Benton, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
6:03 PM

Post #3656813

I'm sorta between sandles and bare feet. Although have had occasion to wear tennis shoes. I can't feel comfortable tilling in bare feet or sandles. The bare feet are usually in the beginning when the ground (and everything on it) is pretty visible. As the foliage covers the ground I try to at least wear sandles.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #3656826

I buy my Croc's at Hallmark stores and via the website the Clouds are under the RX on the website. I'd like to get a pair of the boots for rainy season here in SE TX. I love my Croc's and can really tell a major difference in the days I haven't worn them.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #3656842

moccasins are my favorite footwear for gardening.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
6:12 PM

Post #3656857

Barefoot or Crocs. I have 3 pair and looking at more. Love them, wear them almost everywhere.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 2:45 PM
Marianinark
Compton, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
6:19 PM

Post #3656885

LOL ! I like Resin's definition of "crocs".
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
6:31 PM

Post #3656939

Old worn out shoes from Payless.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2007
6:36 PM

Post #3656965

barefoot is first choice, but garden clogs run a close second (I keep a pair at each door); my $12 wellies when I need them.
June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

June 25, 2007
6:41 PM

Post #3656988

Considering the number of times I have almost put a fork through my foot, or tried to spade off my toes, tough leather workboots with hard toecaps are my gardening footwear of choice. If I wear any shoes with holes in (such as sandals or crocs) for weeding or walking in the yard, they soon fill with gravel and become really uncomfortable, so my second choice is an enclosed slip-on shoe. Am I the only person in North America that does not own a pair of trainers, sneakers, or tennis shoes? I find them too hot in summer, too cold in winter, and a bother to do up and undo.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
6:51 PM

Post #3657025

Humm I think I own a pair June...I don't remember since I haven't worn them in years. I do know that when the hurricanes happened a few years ago I gave away 3 pair of brand new never worn Nike's. I'm with you my feet feel like they are smothered in them.
llaurorall
Genoa, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
7:00 PM

Post #3657062

I used to be a flip flop gardener, but I have moved on into crocs for the dry days and a closed pair of clogs for the wet days, or muck boots if it is really wet, but if I have to wear boots I'm doing too much damage to my soil structure.
carrieebryan
Independence, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3657126

In my infancy I ran all over the farm and the woods barefoot -- my mother used to complain that I had pink feet in the morning and black feet at night. Now I wear flip-flops to garden outside unless I'm mowing or digging. If I mow the front yard I wear a beat-up pair of Birkies. If I mow the very uneven back yard, or dig, I wear a pair of heavy suede ankle boots and get this, white socks. I hate white socks. I only wear them when I'm gardening, in hopes I'll put holes in them and I can throw them away. But I can't imagine wishing to wear holes in any other color of socks, not to mention the grass & mud stains, so when I run out of white socks for gardening I buy more white socks.

I don't have tennies or running shoes, either. But I do have a pair of Naughty Monkeys -- canvas & leather peep-toes with kitten heels. I'm the Imelda Marcos of my office!

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 3:27 PM
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #3657135

Here, i will show you mine!!! The ones I love!!!! We get ours from Whole Earth in Houston, Austin, Dallas or San Antonio...
I only have one pair that my son's girlfriend sent me after she visited and saw me go through about 6 pair of sandals in one weekend outside watering...
***If you order online, they run true to size...example, I wear an 8 very narrow shoe...these are size 8 and fit fine...don't worry about the width of your regular shoe...these will fit if you get them the right length...
They come in for children, ladies, men...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #3657200

I wear worn out slip-on loafers most of the time. So easy to slip off when I come in the door. It's really embarassing if I forget and wear them to town!!

If I'm doing a lot of digging I will put on my lightweight work boots. In the winter I slip on pile-lined snow boots.

Worn out tennis shoes do give good support but I can't stand cleaning the mud out of the gripper soles!

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #3657239

gessie those look like the Croc Mary Jane's, I've been looking at them as my "dress up" shoes LOL DH says if it's made out of croslite it's not dress up anything!
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #3657240

I pretty much wear top of the line Acsis running shoes all the time, everywhere. It's not because I run, far from it, but I have been blessed with orthopedically challenged, surgically repaired feet and I need the support. I can barely walk in dress shoes and with two major different sizes of feet, I need the lace ups to keep me steady and secure. I have tried numerous brands of shoes and the Ascis woks best for me. Wish they weren't so expensive but it's a small price to pay for mobility.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3657242

forgot the link...duh

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-34-4-mary-janes.aspx?reqid=34&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear§ion=products

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 2:59 PM
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #3657250

CROCS...pink ones, purple ones, red ones, red white and blue ones. I ALWAYS WEAR CROCS gardening or otherwise. payless has a good knock-off brand. the ones at the dollar stores don't last nearly as long. the only problem with crocs is when the soles get smooth...look out on wet concrete.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #3657259

My Keen's: http://www.keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=53
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #3657267

I just bought some baby blue, closed toe Crocs with the back strap. My husband took one look and laughed himself silly, saying I looked like Minnie Mouse. He has asked me to never wear them in public. Pretty funny, considering he has a pair of open toed brown ones. Maybe it was the color I got? Or the fact that I'm really petite with disproportionately large feet...I guess I do look ridiculous in them. But, so far I do find them to be the most comfortable thing to wear in the garden. I expected my feet to sweat a lot, but they really don't.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2007
8:14 PM

Post #3657298

When working in the garden, I always wear tennis shoes. When hot weather really kicks in, I wear sandals in general, but not for working in the garden. I don't like how it feels getting dirt up in them. Since I am the literal tenderfoot, I never go barefoot, not even at the beach - too many stones. Boots would be overkill for the kinds of things I do. There aren't many days in the year when there is mud.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
8:14 PM

Post #3657300

How come horseshoe(less) has not climbed in here?
deltaqueen
Holly Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2007
8:17 PM

Post #3657319

Funny posts, Carrielamont. Thanks for the sneakers, er, snickers...

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #3657341

I have a pair of Keen Sofia and only wore them three times...Carrie is the Imelda Marcos of her office I guess I'm the Imelda Marcos of "ugly" shoes as the DH calls my collection of Keens, Birks, Mephesto, Ugg's..
noobiegardener
Glen Burnie, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #3657406

flip flops or plastic garden clogs so I can just rinse them and leave them out on the stoop to dry.

Aranes...I hae a pair of mephisto sandals and they are really nice. Sounds like you have great taste in shoes!
AnaM149
Casselberry, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #3657762

I most often go barefoot. This is really a stupid practice as I have been repeatedly eaten up by fireants and other nasties. Not to mention the grass gives me a slight allergic reaction. I will even mow the yard barefoot. However, for the days I don't feel like toying with my toesies health, I will wear Keds type sneakers or bicycle shoes. The bike shoes are light and I can dig with them and they drain quickly if soaked. Of course, I have gone out shopping in them when I forget I had them on, then marvel at the trail of sand behind every step. ^_^

Oh, and I have tried flip flops, but the grass poking my ankles makes me paranoid about ant bites. So, no flip flops whilst gardening.

PS - I hated using gloves until I discovered they work better at pulling weeds by hand. My favorite pair has a velcro strap at the wrist and kid leather for sensitivity.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

June 25, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #3657831

Podster,

What are ( and what is meant by ) "toad stranglers"? lol

Marilyn
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

June 25, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #3657845

Gwendalou,

My (Post #3656004 ), I said...

"I wear good sturdy and comfortable Reeboks and white cotton socks (rubber soled 'walkers') usually . When it's muddy I wear my Muck (brand) shoes (rubbers shoes that only come up to my ankles). The Muck shoes are very comfortable and alot my comfortable than the 'cheaper' priced mud shoes. I also wear my Muck shoes anytime the grass is wet..."

I love my Mucks too! I wear them so much that I need to get another pair ( they have a leak at the toes and my socks and toes get wet )

Marilyn ;-)

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
10:58 PM

Post #3657947

I normally wore garden clogs in the past but this year have been wearing a pair of "crocs" but an offbrand. Very comfy but not good for using a full-size shovel. For that I slip into the garden clogs.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2007
11:19 PM

Post #3658028

Toad stranglers ~ why... a hard heavy rain, of course... : )

and I got choked up on Noreasters Minnie Mouse comment. My simulated crocs ( Double L Bean ) are royal blue and my DH was aghast that I might actually wear them in public too... LOL Perish the thought... LLLOL
LadyCleo
Plainfield, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #3658087

I always wear workboots when I'm working at the garden center, doing a side job or anything at home that requires stepping on a shovel or pitch fork. For all other outdoor tasks at home, there is a 14 year old pair of red rubber garden clogs with a removable cork insole that I LOVE! They are the perfect back door shoes. My newly adopted dog Nina chewed the insole a bit on the right one so I'm searching for a replacement. I bought this pair right after my last dog Honey moved in as a pup and chewed up the previous pair. Honey died this past January. I guess it's fitting that the shoes get retired now too. If my dogs, and my shoes, last 14 years each, I guess I'm living the good life, eh?

Thumbnail by LadyCleo

LadyCleo
Plainfield, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3658109

OK, Nina was looking over my shoulder and got offended that I posted a pic of Honey and not her. So here's my new poochiamamama.

Thumbnail by LadyCleo

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #3658140

Lady - some mighty handsome pups!
zone5girl
Painesville, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #3658338

"wow, a lot of bare-footers. Don't you guys have pokey things and rocks in your yards?"

Gwen...my feet are so calloused I could probably step on a rose cane and not feel it! ;-) The bottoms of my feet look so bad that I'd be too embarrassed to even get a pedi! Tamara
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3658455

I love to walk barefoot in my yard and gravel driveway but I have to be careful because of thorns, dog droppings, snakes and bees. So I very rarely get to do that. :~(

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #3658487

New Balance only. Not just for gardening, but for nearly everything.
Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3658499

LadyCleo, Nina looks like my dog. Check out Carolinadogs.com
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3658567

Crocs or a knockoff!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #3658605

Was I the only one surprised when my Crocs shrunk. Washed them in hot water with the towels and couldn't believe they were too short afterward.
How can a "rubber" (or whatever it is) shrink? I still wear them in the garden because I too have stepped on too many things that I would rather my skin not touch. Just not so comfortable now. Wonder if the people that make millions of them know or care about this problem.
Nana3
Hanson, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #3658613

I have to have Dr. Scholls athletic shoes with gel insoles for my heels. If I wear anything else that doesn't have good insole support...my feet, especially my heels kill me.

Nana3
Bhavana34
Medford, NJ

June 26, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #3658641

Crocs, Crocs, Crocs - by the time I got around to getting a pair, I was tired of seeing them...the only ones that still look cute to me are the ones on the under 8 crowd ( the 5 year olds in my area have even taken to wearing a different color on each foot...too cute!)

But tell me something...when crocs first came out, I thought "Whats so new about these? The look like my garden clogs with holes in them." So, were crocs originally garden clogs that "caught on" as a style? Or where they copied from us fashionable garden people and promoted as a style?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3658642

it used to be crocs, but lands end makes one called trellos that i love so much more, so now it's trellos or nothing and i can't do "nothing" because of fire ants.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #3658668

I am sure they are a fad but it has not passed yet...my oldest daughter got a pair for her nephew for his birthday...(my 3 year old grandson)...his response was, "cool, I have crocs"...when his mother asked him how he knew what crocs were, he replied, "Everyone wears them, Mom"
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3658694

lol I have the Jibbitz for several pair of mine, DH says from the feet down I look like a 5 year old.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
2:10 AM

Post #3658725

June, back up there a bit. No, there are two of us in NA not wearing sneakers, clogs, and such.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3658784

I'm wearing beach sandals, they are water/mud proof and wash off easily...we've had so much rain in central Texas that my garden in about to be put on the EPA's wetlands list. Early in the year (and drier years) I wore Reebok hiking boots--especially good for a little more foot protection when running the tiller.
Mamiesdream
Montpelier, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 26, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #3658786

Hi,
I have tried all the alternatives listed and garden clogs work for me, except when I am landscaping a steep hill. Work boots or Wellies work in those situations depending whether it is wet or dry.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

June 26, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3658804

Flipflops! Crocs only when heavy work is being done. I am the flip flop queen - have many, many , many colors and styles, but waterproof kind for the garden - pair by each door. I'm still trying to digest "black wingtips"! Nearly choked on my coffee!
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

June 26, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3658806

LOL I have quite a pile mysterypoodle.

Thumbnail by maidentheshade

Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3658845

I wear something like clogs but without the heel, very comfortable for me, must have about 6 pairs
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2007
2:48 AM

Post #3658888

I usually wear a pair of the knock off crocs that are so cheap at Walmart. I have a black pair, a red pair, and a pink pair that the dog has chewed on. Those are the ones I wear most often.

However, I do wear sandles once in a while so my feet don't get the funky tan lines from the holes in the crocs and having my feet covered while my legs tan. That looks really weird when I have to wear something decent to a meeting. LOL
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2007
3:00 AM

Post #3658952

Joan, they have sunlight in ND? I thought it was a southern thing.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #3658960

LOL! We have a few days a year when the sun shines. Those days usually happen somewhere between June and August.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2007
3:15 AM

Post #3659005

I am soooo happy to know that Walmart has knockoffs of Crocs...we have a Walmart!!!!
alicemv
Aquebogue, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #3659033

I wish I could go bare foot, but am afraid of stepping on something, too. I wear the most comfortable, but most worn out pair of Velcro-strapped sandles made by Bass. I bought them when we got our first Tanger Outlet stores, in nearby Riverhead, N.Y. I have not been able to find another pair since,and also asked the manager on occasion, hoping they would come back...to no avail. Oh well, my other pair of K-Mart specials just have to keep up with me, because these are wearing out FAST!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3659063

I have a pile of shoes at the door too, but mine are not clean like yours madeintheshade, it has been raining here way too much!
I wear leather sneakers (old zipper ones that I can slip on)to do shovel or rock work in. Then the crocs or clogs when it is just wet grass, or mud etc. I also have a zipper water shoe I wear them when I have to go into the pond to trim water lilies, reset lights etc. I have New Balance slip-on sneakers that I had to get when I had back surgery and love them Patrob! Plan to get another pair because I am wearing the dickens out of these!

But NEVER have I worn WING TIPS!!! Too funny Dave47!!
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

June 26, 2007
3:35 AM

Post #3659097

That's the only reason mine are clean! I was out in it several times messing with the gutters and each time I grabbed a different pair. The leather Bass tie up's (on the bottom of the pile)are my favorite comfortable shoes. I usually use those for digging now since they aren't presentable to wear in public anymore. My sister threatened to throw them away ! I love those shoes ! I wore them to dig in the mud when I finally decided to get new shoes, they were so covered in mud I left them outside the back door in the rain for days and then when they dried they were good as new!

I still have to hide them from Janet. :) She brought me a pair of horrible looking shoes that resembled them a couple weeks ago when we were shopping in GW and asked "Are these YOURS??? Did you FINALLY give these to GW?"

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3659107

LOL!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2007
3:49 AM

Post #3659160

Did you know that you can embellish those clog things? http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=browse&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&demandPrefix=12&sku=PT337&mode=Searching&erec=15&D=clog&Ntt=clog&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%252bmatchallpartial&y=17&N=0&x=33&sd=FUN+CLOGS

(I guess I'm the only American who has never heard of Crocs.)
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

June 26, 2007
3:53 AM

Post #3659176

If those hideous ones at GW would have been my size, I'd own um! They are oxford loafers. Really wide toes. I wish I could find another pair like them. That always happens when I find a pair I love and need another, they don't make them any more. If I'd known how comfortable when I got them I'd have bought a dozen! hmmmmmmmm I might see if I can find them on ebay...
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #3659279

I now wear garden clogs with slip resistant soles. After falling into my fishing pond trying to plant Louisana Iris wearing tennis shoes with slippery bottoms.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
4:43 AM

Post #3659332

LOL, Cordele! I gotta wear my "gymmers" 'cause we don't have any grass out here in the woods. Lots of rocks between container gardens, which would hurt bare feet, and leaves and mud with slimy critters. Also, steep hillsides that require climbing. I actually need to get spikes for my soles!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
6:30 AM

Post #3659451

Pixie, you have my routine down.
Kelli-you're not the only one who had no idea what crocs were.
I was just talking about the garden clogs-(brand name I assume is crocs) with my nephew and we are shocked to see people actually wearing them out in public.
Don't they make your feet stink????

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
10:59 AM

Post #3659632

When I had physical therapy after my back surgery the ladies that worked there wore them. They said they even wore them in the winter with socks, they were so comfortable. I have a knockoff brand, but I am getting to like them; feels like going barefoot. Could never see me wearing them to work, but they wore scrubs, not dress slacks. LOL!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2007
11:14 AM

Post #3659658

flowerjen - No stinky feet! The only time I don't wear mine is when I'm in the house or at my part time office job. I love the Croc Capri sandals. They aren't as clunky, but just as comfy. They conform to your feet. Just about everyone here wears them - from the beach to restaurants.
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2007
11:38 AM

Post #3659708

I'm voting for my wife, who wears a pair of those new high tech, fancy schmancy garden clogs. I got her a pair for Mother's Day. (People on this forum will appreciate why that isn't such a dorky and completely inappropriate gift). She wears them constantly, both for gardening and dog walking duties. Easy to slip on and off, waterproof, comfortable (I guess).
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
11:49 AM

Post #3659724

BDale ~ I'll bet that earned you brownie points! ; )
BDale60
Warren, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2007
11:51 AM

Post #3659728

Hahaha! Yes, as a matter of fact, those clogs were definitely one of those gifts that was embraced and used immediately instead of the kind that is received politely and then stuck in a closet. Whew, I lucked out this time LOL!
JeanneTX
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3659800

I'm shocked..I thought surely that most would say they are barefoot like me!!..LOL..must be a Texas thang?!?!?...Jeanne
gldandrews
Andrews, NC
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #3659935

Barefoot for me. NC is known as the Tarheel state. And of course people think we are hillbillies anyway.
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2007
1:35 PM

Post #3660006

Can't lick em, join em. Sooooo, what's my excuse for barefootism here in Massachusetts? We have fewer snakes??
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2007
1:47 PM

Post #3660051

All of you with aching ankles, knees and backs are my people! I always wear Easy Spirit walkers (with socks) in the garden and everywhere else (except for "dress-up"). They are the most comfortable shoes for me. I keep the laces permanently tied, but loose enough that I can slip into the shoes like loafers. I tie the laces together and then push them under the laced up portion. They never come untied so I never have to touch them again.

I think I'd better order a new pair today! I like to have one pair in reserve. I dread the day when the particular style I wear is discontinued and I have to begin a new search for the perfect shoe (comfort-wise).

This message was edited Jun 26, 2007 7:49 AM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
2:05 PM

Post #3660117

Most times I wear worn out sandals...but I have a pair of those brown plastic sandals I got in Hawaii that are perfect when going from garden to pond...you don't even have to slow down!!
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #3660288

I'm impossible! I wear perfectly good black running shoes. After all, one never knows when the neighboring black bear might decide to visit!
eichholtz
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2007
4:46 PM

Post #3660734

Garden Clogs here. I got them at Wal-Mart for $8.95 they are called Ladybugs by Ranger. They even have a padded insole that you can take out when you spray them off with the hose. Very Very comfy.
Jane

Thumbnail by eichholtz

Mobi
Denver, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3660791

crocs
irishbelle
Orange County, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2007
5:05 PM

Post #3660815

I answered "work boots", but really they are muck boots. We have a lot of problems with ticks and lyme disease, so I tuck my pants in my socks and slip on the boots, which are also snug at the top. I have been known to garden in heels though LOL! You know how a weed can catch your attention on your way to or from work and next thing you know you are pulling more than one weed :-)
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #3660973

Watchit Resin! I still come back to UK every year! an I haven't forgotten how to use my umbrella, and I know the way to Northumberland!!!! I have seen lots of 'gators' around here, why not pop over for a visit - they enjoy English Lunch!
goatmama22
Fort Plain, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3661139

As my day is split up around the farm; barn, pastures, garden, who knows what I put my work boots on in the morning and they come off at night. Current pair is falling apart but they are the most comfortable pair I have ever owned so I will probably wear them the rest of the summer. They happen to be PINK timberlands. (Or at least they were once PINK. LOL) It is just my sense of humor to have pink s-kickers.

Winter time my muck boots are the only thing. Have never found anything else to work in the barn in that is as warm and waterproof, and easily washed.
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

June 26, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #3661276

Unless I'm doing heavy digging (when I wear my Kodiaks) I wear crocs. For years I went barefoot, but I recently developed plantar fasciitis and I just can't walk in bare feet any more. So sad. But the Crocs pretty much do away with the pain. In the winter, it's my Blunnies (Blundstones, Australian s-kickers) for comfort, durability, waterproofivity...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #3661566

good news. I have had PF in the past and after many months it cleared up.
Not fun while it is raging. Am very careful to always pick shoes that have a slight elevation in the heel and rubber (or something simialar) soles. Never, ever completely flat.

gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #3661927

I wear work boots or hiking boots to dig and transplant, sneakers to do maintenance like feed and water and I do sometimes like to go barefoot to wonder around taking pictures.
gcshari
Chapel Hill, NC

June 26, 2007
9:50 PM

Post #3661980

Here in Chapel Hill, NC I wear green rubber gardening boots. They look like slightly short green "Wellies". We have copperhead and other snakes, lots of clay, rocks, chiggers, mosquitoes and ticks in the garden. The boots do a great job protecting my ankles from bites. They have a reinforced instep (good for digging) and the tread makes for easier working in the peanut butter-like wet clay soil. BTW, I go barefoot in the house.
sowblessed
Paola, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #3662104

I just had to add my love of the season. My vote is for Crocs also--but--the Mary Jane style. They aren't quite as bulky & have 2 cute straps. I wore a pink pair on a mission trip in Haiti in much worse conditions than my garden will ever see & came home with them looking good as new! Have ya'll ever tried using a Magic Eraser on them? Works great on those styllish little numbers in the pastels:)
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #3662155

Well ... I said barefoot cause I am barefoot most of the time ... sometimes I wear an old pair of Croc's that are very comfortable. If I have to use a spade/shovel in the garden or it's winter time, I wear an old ratty pair of sneakers!
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #3662158

I wear an old beatup pair of merrell clogs day and night( I sometimes forget how beat up they are ! ) but if there is heavy digging to do sneakers do the trick I would like to wear opentoe sandles but my yard is loaded with clover and with clover come bees!
Laurawege

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #3662266

I wear fuzzy bunny slippers. Try to scare off the real rabbits while I'm working.
guardians
Thomson, GA

June 26, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #3662293

gcshari- that peanut butter like clay - is that what they call "Bull Tallow" ??or something like that. We lived outside of Charlotte in Cabarras County many years ago, and when perk testing soil for a septic tank I remember that term being used to describe the soil conditions. Hard as a brick when dry and like nothing else when wet. Very different from Georgia clay. funny.

Loved that area, though. I cried when we left. Now the land we owned out in the boondocks I understand has million dollar estate homes. (it's about 4 miles from Lowe's motor speedway). Oh well. We sold 7 acres for $14,000 25 years ago.
_Whitney_
ACT
Australia

June 26, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #3662318

i dont garden
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2007
11:36 PM

Post #3662329

Well I got my first Crock wanna bes at an outdoor supply store in Toledo last fall. They are Camoflage and when it got cold I got some furry shocking pink thin soled slippers that I could wear inside those camo crock wanna bes. Well everywhere I wore them I was stopped and praised, LOL
Since I'm so tight I squeeze a nickel until the buffalo poops I couldn't justify $30. for the real Crocks. I got 2 pair of knock-offs at the $5. store in Maryland and will also advise that you need to pinch the heel to see if it's cushy on the real or others as they are made different places with different materials.
My best hint I copied from QVC, take a curly rubber mat and cut about 12" off and silicone it to your shower mat. (Mine is green) Then you can scrub the bottom of your feet while standing up.
;)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #3662332

LOL, victorgardener! Has anyone ever forgotten they had on their "old ratty sneakers" and gone out with them on? Embarrassing!
sowblessed
Paola, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3662449

I squeeze a nickel until the buffalo poops...lol...I love it! sugarweed that cracks me up & I can't wait for an opportunity to use it! Thanks for the smile:)
gordo
Gulfport, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2007
12:09 AM

Post #3662455

Land's End Slippers or Muck Shoes.
diannebill
Jamison, PA

June 27, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #3662723

if you are just deadheading or playing around in the garden, any footwear works but if you are digging - you must wear work boots. last year i was replacing some shrubs at the end of the season. It was a bite dry. I didn't have any immediate pain but for four months thereafter my foot hurt. Found out I broke the ball of the foot clean in half. Surgery with pins and casts etc was the best option but it would always hurt. Before that I destroyed the plantar and had to have surgery on that too. So now I must wear sensible shoes all the time and I miss my flip flops.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2007
1:34 AM

Post #3662868

Wow, diannebill, sorry to hear about your injury. That's very useful info. I had no idea that could happen.

For me it's garden clogs and more recently Crocs because they have more cushioning and are more comfortable yet serve similiar function. Also, my Crocs have a thicker sole which keep my feet higher off the ground so they stay drier and cleaner - but not dangerously high.
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #3663115

Isn't it amazing how important our feet are, especially when it comes to gardening. And how little attention we pay to them, but how much we can talk about them once provoked!

Ever travelled in Europe and had the same discussions after walking Paris for a few days? The evening foot chats... And the morning p**p chats! My goodness, the variety of toilet facilities in Europe is a daily challenge, as is keeping 'regular'. But I digress ;-)
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 27, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #3663351

Nope, for me it was Ireland. Good lightweight hiking boots and an ankle length skirt will get you anywhere in comfort. Oatmeal is the answer. :-) I thought we always digressed on Dave's.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #3663547

Crocs
CutNGlass
Hendersonville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #3663647

Light gardening and "puttering":
Used to wear garden clogs w/ removable washable insole, but, now:
Croc wannabees (shoerack, but check to make sure they are "smooshy" not hard)
-- on even ground (not much around here) and in immediate vicinity of house (okay, I admit I do wear them out -- got brown, tan, and red pairs) (DH has tan ones and took over my bright yellow pair).

For just about everything else around our property:
Hiking boots 1 size too big, so the orthotics fit -- uneven terrain and old injuries :(

NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2007
3:57 AM

Post #3663684

I have a pair of super comfy Merrell slides I bought to wear by the fire at night when on hiking or mountain climbing trips and they became my favorite knock-around shoes. Now they are pretty restricted to the garden...after getting muddy and wet so often, I can't really wear them in public.
greenjay
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2007
4:41 AM

Post #3663774

Leather Teva vibram sole hiking sandals most of the time for everything in the summer, and black rock climber shoes (with white socks!) the rest of the year. Yeah, I;m a dork, but I have all my toes, neener neener..
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2007
5:06 AM

Post #3663810

Redwing Workboots...always..
2 years ago I damaged the nerve in my leg from wearing old sneakers for digging, and from slamming my foot into the top of a spade.
I developed a condition called "drop foot" and had NO control over my right foot for almost 9 months, and had to walk with a cane.
Not worth taking the risk again.
I did recover and have learned my lesson.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2007
5:43 AM

Post #3663878

Marilyn, I must have missed that post of yours! How long have you had them that they're wearing out??? You must really be hard on them! ;)

Zone5, I never can figure out how people's feet get so immune to rocks and prickles! LOL I love pedicures.

Gwen
pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2007
10:57 AM

Post #3664114

flip flops
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2007
11:32 AM

Post #3664160

Sidney - Your're killin' me - LOL - til a buffalo poops! I gotta use that one!
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2007
11:40 AM

Post #3664176

Victor, We should post pictures!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2007
12:53 PM

Post #3664384

since i have my containers on a table on my deck i can ware anything on my feet, ir bidt, that i want. when i am off i go out barefoot at 6 a.m. just to check that my soaker hose is working.
this is so much better than having a regular garden where i had to put up a 7 ft. fence to keep the dear out and all the other stuff i had to deal with like weed pulling and dragging the hose across the back lawn just to water them.

LAKelley2
Titusville, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #3664966

garden clogs... called sloggers! :-)
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 27, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #3664999

JD - Wow, I'm so glad you recovered from your injury. I'm that way about safety glasses ever since I got latex in my eye while working with some plants. I didn't know about latex. :-(

After hearing your and Dianebill's experiences, a little caution is in order!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #3665153

kaperc...the first time I grew Snow on the Mountain Euphorbia, I was working with it one day and the next morning my eyes were swollen up like crazy from the sap...which never got directly in my eyes, but evidently there was enough on my hands that I didn't see which caused it . I must have rubbed my eyes not knowing. (obviously !!!)
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 27, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #3665238

Apparently the fumes will also cause symptoms if you are sensitive to it. I can't even handle my plumeria without precautions. I go through a lot disposable gloves around here.

I can't describe the pain I had in my eyes for days - doctor said nothing to do but put plain drops in every few minutes.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #3665275

I also have a pile of shoes at the door too, but mine are not clean either, like yours madeintheshade.

If I have to dig, I wear my trusty old tennis shoes. They take the brunt of the shock when I press down with my foot. I have bad feet.

If it is wet, I wear flip flops or crocs.

If I'm just lolly gagging around and spending some time just checking things out, I could have on almost any of the shoes I own.
crowellli
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2007
4:15 PM

Post #3665315

Crocs!!! I love these so much I have several pairs in different colors. When I first heard about them, I thought they were too ugly to be worn, but after putting them on, they're about all I ever wear now. I have neuropathy in my feet from lupus, and these are the most comfortable things I've ever had on. I second what someone else said about them not being for digging though, so hubby does the digging!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2007
4:51 PM

Post #3665502

Hmm, with all this talk about how comfy they are, I might just have to invest in some of those Crocs!
TyCobb
Winnsboro, TX

June 27, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #3665842

I wear boots, I'll say why in two words...FIRE ANTS.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #3665966

I used to go barefoot a lot in my garden in the UK - until, taking my habitual barefoot evening tour, I stepped down off the back step onto a frog. POOR frog, that was several tons psi I should think. The same evening, after a quick clean up, I walked into TWO hedgehogs in the dark.
Actually, even that didn't cure me, but since moving to France, where the risk of stepping on snakes and hornets is rather higher, and having a lot of very uneven and prickly land, I've taken to sport type sandals with thick springy soles. I can still get earth between the toes, but not get anything too painful in my feet.

I've loved reading everybody's stories thanks. ...and am I glad we don't have those FIREANTS!!
rose_gardenmom
Boise, ID

June 27, 2007
6:32 PM

Post #3665969

I go barefoot because I grew up in the Ozarks (Mom's rule was that we had to wear shoes until school was out, but on the first day of summer vacation, those shoes came off and didn't go back on until autumn, except for church!) and because I have never found a single pair of shoes that fit my feet comfortably (and that includes crocs). Yes, I've stepped on things . . . a bee, for instance, and lots of thorns, but feet get tough in a hurry. Mine do look pretty bad, though, and with my stepson's wedding coming up in a few weeks, I'm going to have to figure out how to get my feet at least up to standard enough to wear a decent pair of sandals.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2007
6:49 PM

Post #3666028

Rose, be sure to treat yourself a couple of times before the event to a pedicure. They can give you some tips to use in between the visits, and by the big day, your toes will be awesome!!! (If such a thing can be!) LOL
TxTurqoize
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #3666682

lol...I love my Crocs too...except when roly-poly's get thru the holes and you step on 'em...yuckers...! :p But comfy...lol

Melanie
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

June 27, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #3666995

ewwwwwwwwww gross! When I was a teenager in San Antonio I remember the day I put on my desert boots and laced them up THEN felt a wiggling around between my toes ! I could not get those boots off fast enough!!! I dumped out four or five what we called pincher bugs but I think they were really earwigs.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #3667033

Scary! You don't have scorpions out there, do ya? I think I would keep my shoes inside, if so!
maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

June 27, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #3667050

They were inside! In the closet! They supposedly love dark moist areas and must have been snoozing in there. I didn't feel a thing till I had them laced up and tied. Yes there are scorpions in San Antonio too. The Baptismal at the church used to have dozens down in there between uses. But I never ran across any in the yard as a kid.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2007
11:54 PM

Post #3667227

I've found enough scorps in the house that I always shake my shoes out. Only one in the house is enough! LOL
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #3667333

Yikes! Scary critters in the house! I was stationed in San Antonio and Ft. Hood in the army. Glad I never ran across anything like that!
peep1
Newton, MA

June 28, 2007
12:51 AM

Post #3667470

I'm too accident prone to go barefoot. I bought a pair of bright red rubberish clogs (like the wooden ones) with removeable liners from Smith and Hawken, I think, about 30 years ago. They need to be replaced. I hope I can still get them.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #3667629

Those sound similar to the 'crocs' everyone's talking about, peep1--have you checked those out?
HiDesertGirl
Reno, NV

June 28, 2007

Post #3667694

My big green "Wellies"
CurlySibe
Otsego, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #3667806

Crocs Rx have changed my life. (for the better... ; )
TxTurqoize
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #3667867

crikey...lots of scorpions here...even in our house!

Melanie
ceeadsalaskazone3
Seward, AK

June 28, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #3667918

Had plantar fasciitis once, both feet. Only found out later the EASY cure: When first getting up, flex toes skyward, HARD! If you can reach your toes you can stretch them that way also. Take a minute, maybe two. Then stand up. The trick is stretching the affected foot, the longer stretching, the better your foot feels. Let me know...
Carol

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #3667954

wow that's amazing how similarly we all can be. thought i was the ONLY one who would insist on gardening in flip flops! ha!

i only wear my new balance shoes when i'm going to be mowing or clearing land, etc. if i just HAVE to have full shoes on for a quick trip around the garden, i will grab DH's lewis & clark's (LOVE those!!)

my feet get too hot. i've been a barefoot kinda girl my whole life. used to walk miles on asphalt, blacktop, gravel roads... didn't matter. feet were tough as boot leather--literally!!!

also love the ease of washing off those feet just before i walk in my house :-))

happy feet.
happy gardener!
amethystsm
belleville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2007
6:54 AM

Post #3668455

gotta be crocs.
i'm a barefoot girl from way back, but years of neglect of the land i garden on now in CT = glass in totally unexpected places - it just comes up out of the ground. so now i wear shoes because i have to.

amy
ManicReality
Houston, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2007
1:25 PM

Post #3669161

I love being barefooted, even the occasional , ew i just stepped on smurf village (mushrooms). Well unless I'm digging for trees or ponds..then boots are in order.. Most of the time though... barefoot city, even though I've stepped on the rake and got it in my foot, I like to think I just look a bit more these days.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #3669169

I don't wear flops
Near bugs or rocks,
Some always hops
Beneath my socks.

Don S.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3669463

Why summer for sandals -- it is my all time favourite.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #3669759

last night I was barefoot and often drag the hose around in the clothes I slept in barefoot too. My feet are so ugly now, however I have clay and goat head stickers so I usually am not digging in the clay without my huge and growing collection of outdoor boots, and tennis shoes, and 1 pair of sandals.
goldeneagleone
Smyrna, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2007
4:56 PM

Post #3669999

I use to go barefoot until I got a small rusty nail in my foot
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2007
5:26 PM

Post #3670110

ROFL, Don!

I have plantar fasciitis, too, and read that going without arch supports (barefoot, flipflops, slippers) makes it worse. I stretch before I get up and it still hurts--'course, being overweight doesn't help...gotta do more gardening and less eating!
kevanrijn
Parkersburg, WV
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #3670242

I wear clogs--easy to slip on and off. I've got rubber garden clogs but my feet get to sweaty and sticky in them, so I wear an old pair of leather clogs...
txflowerlady
Deer Park, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2007
6:57 PM

Post #3670437

I wear Sloggers. (Garden Clogs) I used to wear old tennis shoes until my daughter bought me a pair of Sloggers.

txflowerlady
birgitj
Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #3670547

I wear a pretty pair of Sloggers (clogs) that my daughter bought for me. The are printed with a Monet style pattern in pinks...
sswayze
Lexington, KY

June 28, 2007
8:24 PM

Post #3670716

Crocs all the way (unless I'm digging then I put on my hiking boots). They protect my toes without being too hot & It's great to be able to just rinse off with a hose, feet & shoes both!
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 28, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #3671217

flip flops or bare
Allie88
Palmyra, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2007

Post #3671892

I love my (fake) Crocs. They are perfect to garden in - keep my feet enclosed without getting too hot. Easy cleanup, too!
TDGarden
Calais, VT

June 29, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #3671961

Since I have to wear shoes, I am always dragging dirt into the kitchen, not good. That is, until I found the new age 'goulashes' called Neos. They cover my shoes but go on easy with a lone velco strap. If you are like me and have the wear shoes these are the best for the gardener in the family.
constance22
Brewster, MA
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #3672197

Crocs.
dogmansis
Wimberley, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #3672201

I WAS BORN BAREFOOTED!!!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2007
3:21 AM

Post #3672361

I wear my old new balance shoes with hard plastic orthotics in them. The orthotics really help with digging. I too, step outside with my "new" asics on and next thing you know, I am in the middle of the garden.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 29, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #3672488

Flip-flops!! :-)
liebran
Valencia, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #3672705

Heavy duty tennis shoes for the digging work; Mucks if has been raining and much is muddy; Crocks otherwise--the ones without any holes, and I bought an adjustable back strap. I did sprain my ankle once wearing them, tripped on a rock. That's it. Karen
Hulagirl3
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2007
7:56 AM

Post #3672836

Flip flops, or what we like to call them in Hawaii...slippas (slippers). I have strap tan lines...I'm a true Hawaii Girl (living in Wash.). My hula sisters have a good chuckle when they see my feet in class (No! My feet are not dirty!). But I do have to admit that when I have to do some major digging, I'll put my sloggers on. Just don't know what might come crawling out of the ground . Good question, Dave!

Aloha...Vanessa
omaoma57
Kyle, TX

June 29, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #3675161

I am such a fashion statement when I am in the garden now. I have recently moved to Texas and have learn the joys of FIRE ANTS. I also learned I am allergic to the bites. Blisters and swelling and all. So my ugly walmart rubber boots have become a must. Such a picture with my shorts, tank top and boots. Now if only I could find rubber boots for my hands...Any one have clues on the massive fire ant problem??????????
CheriBabe
Altamonte Springs, FL

June 29, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3675320

I usually wear plastic clogs. They protect my feet and can be hosed-off after wearing. They can be found at most of your gardening stores where they sell gardening apparel.
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #3675587

Other. I wear garden clogs. They murder my feet, but they're most practical for me in the garden.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #3676505

The only solution that really works on fire ants I find is in WalMart - eliminator - as soon as I see a mound I spread the stuff around it and on it. I went on a trip and while in Virginia Beach area they had closed a couple of school sports grounds because of fire ants, but I am sure they would have probably died off in the winter - I do hope so for their sakes. They must have hitched a lift from down south!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #3676681

Golly I am sooo glad there are no fire ants around here!...I wear flip flops until a red bellied black (snake) reminds me to put the gum boots on Darn!...I keep stockings over the boot tops to keep the redbacks out...neverbut never put your tootsys into unprotected gum boots =^O

Thumbnail by chrissy100

CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3677057

Oooh Chrissy, that's a scary picture.
I have recently been converted to Crocs, but I wear them with sox now since I kept getting tick bites on the ankle. White athlectic sox, and I look about as dorky as it is possible to look in them combined with my flashy orange crocs. But I look pretty dorky anyway in the garden, with my floppy hat, oversize shirt, and worse-for-wear bluejeans. And usually, dirt rubbed across my face from wiping off the itchy trails of perspiration in this late-June heat!
My very favorite thing is going barefoot in warm grass, but that's only in June-August.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

June 30, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #3677248

Dorks unite! DH says I'm the eccentric in the neighborhood. I also use mask and safety glasses if necessary.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #3677334

Ha ha ha I would love to be a fly on the wall...seeing some of the goings on around the place ...why don't you start a thread somewhere about gardening attire...that would be a scream ...or has somebody already done that before ...Yes those red backs like hiding under dunny seats (outdoor toilet seats)...you must never be in to much of a hurry not to check before you use! ha ha ha
CricketCreek
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2007
3:51 AM

Post #3678037

for general stuff - crocs - i put mine in the dishwasher when i'm done. keens are great too and black and purple rubber boots if i'm heading to "the swamp"!
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #3679214

I have a lot of foot problems and wear custom orthodics. After having the guy who makes them explain to me how the higher the tie up boot the more effective the orthodic. I started wearing nothing but my high top hikers. My feet are much better than before and I'm not as clumsy in the garden as I was before. At my age being able to walk is the most important thing. I would like to be able to wear sandals though! I take off the boots and socks and sit on the porch with my feet on the cool tiles. ; ) Without the orthodics and boots I would not be able to garden.
paulabyers
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #3679393

wasn't 'til i visited Boston in the winter that i knew you were supposed to wear shoes!

i am always barefooted in the garden .. and also keep forgetting to put on my gloves! everytime i get dressed to go somewhere - as i walk to the car there is just one little weed that must be pulled - and there go the finger nails.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3680398

Garden clogs for me.
Bourret
West Newfield, ME

July 1, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #3680744

Dansk clogs for me!
wendycm
Choteau, MT

July 1, 2007
4:32 AM

Post #3681225

Old tennies (well, old running shoes) are my standard. Sandals allow miscellaneous uncomfortable things to get wedged under and between toes, and boots are sometimes just too hot and big. So I opt for a pair of running shoes that are retired from running (and so, more or less, am I). They can get wet and dirty and nasty and whatever and it just doesn't matter. The only drawback is that I can't just slip them on and off.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #3681313

Crocs!!! I keep the strap over the top so I can just slip in and out of them, without bending over. Sure, my feet get dirty, but hey! - have to shower after gardening anyway.

Used to have a pile of old tennis shoes and a pair of mucks, but they would all stink to high heaven after they got wet. Never a problem with the crocs. And they are so comfortable...
RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #3681559

Crocs rock!
morecoffeenow
Lawrenceville, VA

July 1, 2007

Post #3681591

I wear canvas "tennis" shoes or flip flops ("ff"). If hard work on knees, I use the shoes, otherwise, ff, especially when it's wet. Love the feel of water and dew on my feet. Learned years ago to wear some type of shoe because of the bumble bees... they are the only ones I seem to step on and I hate to hurt them, but hate to get hurt myself from their sting. Bumbles won't sting you and are really quite friendly I've found.
lily_bud
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2007
1:29 PM

Post #3681750

I've never tried crocs. Now I feel like the caveman who wakes up millions of years later to find that everyone is wearing them!

I wear sandals for minor gardening, flipflops for watering. I used to go barefoot a lot before I stepped on a SLUG. YUCK!!!

For any kind of gardening beyond weeding and watering, I wear running shoes with socks. I have 2 identical pairs of Nike running shoes, one for gardening and one for going out.

My problem is doing "just a little bit of watering (weeding, whatever) in my good shoes and getting them all muddied up.
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2007

Post #3683552

Here is my garden foot gear, one pair of clogs are on my feet right now since I just came in from weeding, would not dream go bare foot, bees are too busy in the lawn that is full of clover

Thumbnail by Maria

reelcurlz
Laguna Niguel, CA
(Zone 11)

July 2, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #3684328

I always wore flipflops until I broke two toes! Gardening clogs for me.
chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2007
5:32 AM

Post #3684675

Wendycm, try my method. I keep my shoes tied but loosely enough to be able to slip them on. I don't tie a bow, I just hold the laces together and tie a knot. Then I push them under the laced up part. The picture is of my gardening shoes. On the shoe on the right you can see how I tie it. This kind of knot NEVER comes undone. The shoe on the left has the lace tucked in all neat like. I even keep my good walking shoes tied like this. I've gotten downright lazy about tying shoes.

Thumbnail by chris_h

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
9:50 AM

Post #3684869

I have really bad feet and have found that the only thing that I can wear for any length of time is Birkenstocks. So that is what I wear when gardening, going to the store, out for dinner, to the opera, etc etc. I have about 20 pairs...
What I hate is when I am wearing a decent pair and then go out in the yard and start digging without remembering to change into one of my 'garden' pairs.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2007
11:46 AM

Post #3685020

Chris_h LOL [quote] I've gotten downright lazy about tying shoes. [/quote] at least you haven't resorted to velcro yet... : ))

TxTurqoize
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #3687340

Alright, well...I thought that I would also include a photo of my Crocs, tho not the "real" Crocs. I truly luv 'em...and can always find them if I leave them in the grass, lol. I do shake them out tho, when I put them on in the mornings due to the many scorpions and coral snakes... I also have a pair of blue garden clogs from L.L. Bean...but like my crocs better... :)

Melanie

Howdy from Texas... :)

This message was edited Jul 2, 2007 5:02 PM

Thumbnail by TxTurqoize

chris_h
Waukegan, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #3687579

Do Crocs provide any support if you have problems with feet or ankles like plantar fasciitis etc. ?
TxTurqoize
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2007
11:59 PM

Post #3687787

I don't think so, chris. Perhaps the more expensive ones do...plus, alot of them have raised "bumps" to keep your feet from sliding, but are a bit painful to folks with nerve damage...from diabetes, etc...or even chemo, like my Mom...who sustained such damage after her treatments. Work boots would probably be better...with alot of support for ankles, etc. But they're so heavy!

Melanie
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

July 3, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #3687816

Wearing crocs solved my plantar fasciitis. It's almost gone, unless I go barefoot (my preference) or wear bad shoes, like deck slippers. Crocs have a molded sole that gives great support, and I think that's what made my PF go away.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2007
3:10 AM

Post #3688721

I have to step on my outdoor enclosed toe shoes to kill black widdows too before I put them on. I have plantar fasciitis as well and it is hard to wear any shoes that are flat like sandals unless they are real spongy to fill the arch.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 3, 2007
4:03 AM

Post #3688893

All Crocs are not the same. I have two pair, the open-toe style called Nile and the Cayman. The Cayman has much better support and is softer on my feet - not so "nobbly." If you go to the Crocs web site, they also have Rx style, made for diabetics, etc., and the ones recommended for nurses, etc. Not sure what all the differences are, but if you have foot problems, it's worth checking around before you buy.

Also, I bought from one of the free shipping both ways web sites and sent the first pair back for a different color without any problem. I really think it's a case by case thing - but I'm sure happy with my Caymans and will probably buy more. Very spongy, Dawn.
TxTurqoize
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2007
4:17 AM

Post #3688929

Ugh...I forgot the fire ants getting into those wee holes as well...nasty little critters... :p

Melanie
paulabyers
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2007
11:06 AM

Post #3689321

after reading this i am buying stock in crocs .. i have black mary janes - both in the garden and fancy parties. "they make me feel so young!"
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #3689467

Hellnzn !
[quote] I have to step on my outdoor enclosed toe shoes to kill black widdows too before I put them on. [/quote]

Thought I was the only one that stepped on my closed toe shoes before entering... LOL
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2007

Post #3691916

Very soon they will start making Croc's that are called Specialist...take a look at the spec's. Better arch support, enclosed toe etc

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-419-4-specialist.aspx?reqid=419&reqProdTypeId=451p&subsectionname=footwear§ion=products
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2007
5:02 PM

Post #3694644

I got a pair of them last summer from "Sportman Warehouse".
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #3903745

I just posted this on "gardening must-have" but I'll post it here as well…

What's covering my feet when I garden? My Muck shoes from "The Original Muck Boot Company".
http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/index.php
They're as soft and comfortable as my favorite soft bedroom slippers. My feet stay warm in the winter, and my feet never stink - spring, summer, fall, or winter - when I take them off after wearing them for hours on end. They're 100% completely waterproof, have an AWESOME tread on the bottom to keep me from slipping on wet grass, mud, etc., and the rubber outside is extremely flexible but yet never cut, split, or tear up no matter how much I abuse them - and I've worn mine for years now. I have bought them for my parents and sister as gifts. Mom and Dad wear them (everywhere), regardless of the season. (Mom had them on today when she came to visit.) They (slip on) as easy as your slippers and the band around your ankle/leg is soft and stretchy. …..I will always, always, always have a pair! …..Best thing I've found it years - regardless of the season!

:) Glenda
lily_bud
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6875421

This thread has been quiet a long time, but I feel a debt of gratitude to the kind people in this thread who have introduced me to crocs. I immediately went out and bought 2 pairs when I first read this thread 2 summers ago, and now own 4 pairs (plus a pair of crocs fur-lined houseslippers.) They are the most wonderful shoes for gardening EVER. Water runs right through them, so I can pick up and hose out my miniponds without a care. For me, they are heavy enough to dig with a shovel. I used to go barefoot, and now I don't get pricked or step on slugs, or anything nasty at all!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America