Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: How to start Baptista (False Indigo)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 236
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 25, 2007
12:05 PM

Post #3655579

I have access to several Baptista (False Indigo) plants but the original planters are long gone and the current caretakers don't know much about them. I love the airy looking blooms and the fullness of the foliage so would like to start some for myself. I have seeds from pods gathered last fall but someone told me they tried from seed and it took 7 years for them to even start to develop. Is this normal or there are ways to get a faster start? Have also been told that can't start them from root of original shrub. Is this true? What about doing cuttings?

What is best way to start one?
If seeds are best can I start yet this year or best wait until next spring?
Thanks for any input!!!

mellymass
Metrowest, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #3655686

New to gardening and planted several types of seeds last fall. I had actually forgotten all about them until one popped up several weeks back. It ended up being a False Indigo and it is doing really well started showing flowers recently! I bought a couple from the local garden center and hope they do well. No flowers on them as of yet.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 8:46 AM
Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 25, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #3656402

mellymaas-Welcome to gardening and this gardening site and congratulations on your successes!
Are the plants from the garden center also False Indigo? What kind of soil are you planting in? That is really encouraging that will flower second year like most other perennials.
As much variety as I have grown, there are always so many more to try and I keep trying new things so am always on a new gardening adventure and have the same questions as any beginner on those.
This website is a wonderful resource of people who are terrific about sharing their gardening experiences and actual expertise and take time to explain things in practical and understanding ways. Hope you love it as much as the rest of us do.
Thanks for the input and Happy Gardening!!!!
Rocco
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #3656445

I have a large false indigo. The plant was purchased in a one gallon pot. The indigo grew very fast but it was three years before it ever bloomed.

Thumbnail by Rocco
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mellymass
Metrowest, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #3656634

Yep both of the plants I bought are both False Indigo. One of them is a "Carolina Moonlight" False Indigo and the other a purple one. We have only been in our house for a year so I am not sure exactly what the soil is made up of. Way back when it was supposedly farm land. There are worms all over the place in the summer time so it must be some pretty good soil.

Here is a picture of the one I planted from seed several weeks back. It is a little bigger than this now with quite a few more flowers. I had no clue what it was until I put asked here. It will be interesting to see how long it takes the 2 new ones to bloom.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 2:00 PM

Thumbnail by mellymass
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Central, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 26, 2007
12:40 PM

Post #3659846

Rocco-Thanks ever so much for posting the picture and sharing the information. Lovely planting! Great to know can probably get the plant if the seeds don't grow. I hadn't seen it in our garden centers but hadn't been looking for it either. Got the seeds for it late last fall but wasn't sure on blooms. Recently got seriously interested ingrowing it after saw it blooming. The one I gathered the see pods from has gorgeous tall airy white spires. The other one that I have access to hasn't bloomed yet so not sure what color blooms on that one. I am encouraged that will bloom in about 3 year years. The foliage is so pretty that I can wait that long for the blooms.

mellymaas-Your soil sounds great! We live in the one area of Wisconsin that is very sandy so have to amend for most things.
How deep did you plant the seeds and about how many and how far did you space them for your planting?
Wonderful to know that the seeds come up so fast and that it might not be to late to start now if I do it right away. Thanks so much for posting the picture and the great information!! Sounds like you have a real talent with growing things and hope you find it as addicting as most of us have:-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America