Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Japanese Maples: Mid Season Color

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 88, Views: 863
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #3658457

Anybody have some to share?

I'm having trouble getting these photos good enough to see but here's the best I can do.

Villa Taranto.

Thumbnail by doss
Click the image for an enlarged view.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3658473

Tsukushi gata. This really doesn't get the luminous nature of the color on the tree. It's tough to photograph. Really breathtaking right now. It will fade to green as the summer progresses though.

Thumbnail by doss

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #3658525

Try not to take midday photos - the harsh sun bleaches everything out. Try for morning or evening. If you can catch the long rays of the 'golden hour' hitting the tree it will be a fantastic shot. That is one hour after sunrise / before sunset.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #3658572

Thanks! The sun sets behind the trees though so it would work for the villa taranto but not the Tsukushi gata. These photos were taken about 5:00 pm. I'll try again this evening even later - or perhaps you are right and I should slog myself out of bed in the morning early. Heaven forbid!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #3658589

No problem! I'm happy to see the Taranto looking so good - I just planted one this Spring. I'll try to get some photos up.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3658633

Great! People are really drawn to it. You'll be glad that you did.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
1:50 AM

Post #3658660

'Orangeola'.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
1:56 AM

Post #3658680

'Autumn Moon' at night.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #3658773

Boy do they take one's breath away. Autumn Moon is fabulous with the flash.
Taking the Tsukushi gata in the very late evening washed out it's beautiful red but it was a good idea. Maybe i'll have to play with the flash.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3658794

Thanks. Here's a not so good shot of Tamukeyama.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #3658955

That's a stunning specimen. How lovely

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3696830

Thanks Doss. Sorry I'm just getting back now. Here is Shigitatsu sawa.

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #3697002

What a stunning color it is.
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3697090

victorgardener, what a lovely Shigitatsu sawa you have! I wish mine looked so bright and green. Do you have yours in full shade? Mine is in a pot on the back porch where it receives some morning sun and afternoon shade, but it's recently started to drop it's leaves. Some of them dried up, turned brown and fell off, while others are turning yellow and falling off. It's the same issue I had this time last year.

I'm just trying to figure out what this tree needs to keep it happy! Maybe it needs to be in the ground?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #3697648

To be honest, I don't expect it to stay so nice. I had recently moved it to that location - mostly shade, from a full sun location. It was a part shade location until I removed a large Maple tree last year and was worried it would be too much. I have another one in a location that only gets AM sun and it's not nearly as bright and nice looking.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #3698431

Hmmm.. I would have thought that Shigitatsu Sawa would insist on afternoon shade. Whatever works. Why did you move it to shade?

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #3698485

I moved it because it was in full sun.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #3698529

Sure is a beauty. Here's Crimson Queen with some flowering hosta and hydrangea.

Thumbnail by doss

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2007
4:52 PM

Post #3698704

Very nice - looks great with the stone.
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

July 6, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #3701291

Here is 'kasagiyama' a couple of weeks ago. This photo was taken in the evening so the light was kinda odd. The color seems to be holding a peachy to light red color fairly well in filtered sun, but I haven't quite got the right light figured out as some burning has occured.

Thumbnail by mattlwfowler

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2007
2:31 AM

Post #3701324

Wow, love the bright green, amazing sun color, and it didn't burn (yet?).

Laura
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #3701740

Really beautiful photo Matt.

I did get some closeups of the two trees I posted before. This is Villa Taranto. It's worthwhile planting this tree in quite a bit of sun.

Thumbnail by doss

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2007
4:46 AM

Post #3701744

Here's Tsukushi gata. This tree glows orange though it sure looks green in this photo.

Thumbnail by doss

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2007
1:58 PM

Post #3702548

Doss, I just planted VT this Spring in an area that only gets a few hours of late AM / early PM sun. Think I should move it to a sunnier area??
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2007
4:53 PM

Post #3703273

It will be fine in a shadier area. It just won't hold it's red color. It's a beautiful tree green too.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #3703291

You think it will be okay in full sun?? Thanks.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #3703538

Yes, I think that it will be OK in full sun. Mine only gets very late afternoon shade here. Ask a couple of other people that are hanging around here too though.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3704809

Strangely, my Villa Taranto gets plenty of sun and is mostly green at the moment. My Crimson Queen in the pot is also a lot more green in the spot it sits at the moment. It may move around to the back of my house until its future home is done, which *might* be next year. I have hosta beds to complete in the fall and I can only do a bit at a time as the heat is really bothering me this year...migraines. Oregon Sunset is holding its color fairly well at the moment but has been in the shade. I'm going to level out my future hosta bed this weekend if it isn't too hot, and get it ready for a nice lasagna bed in the fall when I have some leaves for it. I have some weeds to pull to compost too, so I may just mix that material into the future bed at the same time.

Sorry for the tangent...

Laura
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #3704900

Ditto on mine it's potted and in full sun ( totally green and thicker leaves not nearly as linerloum -liked ...like Doss's) I had another one that was a 1 year graft ( I usually don't buy 'em that young ) that was planted out nearby the potted one ..it made it thru the winter in fine shape and thru the freeze as well .But after the freeze I got cold feet abnd dug it up and potted it ... It was red and had elongated leaves in the ground but green potted although the new leaves are red.and the leaves seem also to be thickening.. My larger, always potted, VT was somewhat red in the GH but as I said now totally green ...It may be the potting that is effecting color and leaf shape too much fertilizer, lack of it or whatever?? David
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #3704911

Not sure, David, but it's a thought. Mine will get planted in the fall, however. It does seem to like the spot it is in well enough as it isn't burning (yet). It's taking quite a lot of sunshine.

Laura
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #3704970

Here's a photo I took this afternoon of my Autumn Full Moon maple. I love this tree more and more as time goes by!

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
12:49 AM

Post #3704978

Only one small branch has leaves this color (it's the same Autumn Full Moon maple)

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
12:52 AM

Post #3704988

Hey victor - my Autumn Moon is almost as pretty as yours. :) How much sun does it get?

This message was edited Jul 6, 2007 5:53 PM

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #3704997

Mine gets full sun until about 1 PM.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #3705064

It's gorgeous. I'm also interested in its sun tolerance after losing my Golden full Moon earlier this year.

Laura
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
1:41 AM

Post #3705208

Laura, I also lost my Golden Full Moon last year. It lost all it's leaves by late summer, and did not come back this spring. And it was mostly in shade!

The Autumn Full Moon has been amazing. Mine gets morning sun until about noon-1pm and then it's bottom half is in the shade and it's top half is tall enough to continue to receive afternoon sun. Around 7pm it gets a little more evening sun. It hasn't dropped a single leaf and has color that ranges from a light yellow-green to the darker red I've shown in my photos.

It seems to be true to its reputation to be a lot hardier than it's fickle Golden cousin!
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

July 7, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3705252

I would say fickle golden mother :)

...I've heard that this was the case anyway.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3705268

Here's Autumn Moon during the day last month.

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #3705404

You might have me convinced! Is the growth habit the same as its relative?

Laura

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2007
2:39 AM

Post #3705407

Don't have the cousin!
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
3:01 AM

Post #3705474

Ahhh, I'm being lazy. I'll look it up in "Vertrees". Would love to see its spring color and fall color if you have pics.

Laura
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3705640

Sorry about your migraines Laura - I can relate having them myself. No gardening with a migraine.

And David I'm sure the answer to the different colors on the VT is "whatever". LOL

Very pretty tree Roxy and Victor. Love the beautiful colors. Roxy, if the leaves are a different color on just one branch the tree may be reverting or it may be a sport? I don't know if JM's sport like hostas do.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2007
3:23 AM

Post #3705648

Autumn Moon is a better choice but I have to say it is not especially sun hardy either ...with time maybe...many trees over time, if they survive, get better sun tolerance..mine got 4 hours of morn sun and burnt badly ...in addition it tends to be sparce especially if it looses leaves i think it is a secondary bud ":challenged" ( many others have said the same as far as sparceness with AM... Mine succummed to disease from being weakened by da freeze. I may try another i don't want to black list it just yet ...and I do think it is a better choice than the golden full moon...but panacia... no way it will still need alot of care in most locations ... I might add every JM has it's promoters who have good luck with one "special not common" cultivar or another in their environs but that doesn't mean it will work for everyone or any one else for that matter ... There are some super hardy trees to both summer heat and winter cold and there are trees that just are a perfect fit for where you put them but I can say many will not work for alot of folks .. establishment and age are our only true friends the more established and older trees generally , not always , are best but even that critieia does not fit many JM's GFM is onegood example of a tree i would never recommend for most folks for sure ... as I said AM may or may not be "significantly " better ...David

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3705658

Here's Spring. I'll get Fall this year.

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
3:59 AM

Post #3705758

Here's some fall pictures from last year ...

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3705761

another

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
4:05 AM

Post #3705766

I've been told that since I live in the Pacific Northwest that JM's should do better for me. Maybe that's the case with the Autumn Full moon, but I've killed a couple of JM's so obviously it's not good for every tree. It could be that my tree is of good size, as well, as it stands at least 5 feet tall. This is the first summer it's been in the ground (it was a gift to me last September when my beloved Roxy died ... therefore, it's "roxy's tree") so it will be interesting to see how the next few months go. We tend to have very warm, dry summers here, but so far it's been very low maintenance. It gets water when it rains or when I water the rest of the bed it's planted in.
roxysgarden
Puyallup, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3705779

And here's the whole tree - photo taken this spring

Thumbnail by roxysgarden

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #3706456

It's very lovely and an appropriate memorial for your dear friend.

I love the subtle colors.

Laura
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2007
1:30 PM

Post #3706526

That is a VERY nice tree hard to find them around here that size . I think it WILL do well out there that is where most are grown. You are in JM country you are lucky. Yours is nicely full but if you see picture of GFM's I think you will agree it is sparce in comparisobn thus my comment wnen using it as a substitute..it is NOT the same are even similar tree but cool in it's own right ...As I said FOR HERE I am a little gun shy ...but I will likely try one again ..for your area it should be fine ..again I don't think I have ever seen one that big ...it is really nice and should do well out there..David

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2007
4:25 PM

Post #3707127

Very nice roxy. Mine is about 3 1/2 feet high.
sherrymcd
Norman, OK

July 10, 2007
7:14 PM

Post #3719786

I live in zone 7...OK. What is the correct soil ph for my select redleaf maple? The4 inches of rain this morning, with moreon the way, have on hold for a while. sherry mcd
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #3724278

Sherry, Japanese Maples like a neutral to slightly acid soil.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2007
10:38 PM

Post #3725159

Here's my Villa Tarranto, photo taken last week.

Thumbnail by largosmom

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3725687

It's lovely Laura. Great foliage, isn't it?
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2007
1:35 AM

Post #3725855

Yes, I love it. Just wish it were more red! Maybe as it grows it will hold the color more. It's in full sun most of the day.

Laura
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3725974

Mine didn't hold the red last year so perhaps you are right.

Germaine's Gyration is having some leaf burn all ready. I'm not sure that she's a full-sun girl after all.
plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

January 26, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #4457409

Old thread, but I am compelled to add a summer picture of my favorite Jm, 'Tsuma Gaki', taken in August.

Thumbnail by plantaholic186

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #4457958

What a beautiful tree. I have always wanted a Tsuma Gaki but I haven't got a shady enough place for one. So delicate.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #4458196

Beautiful. I think you just helped me with placement for my little tree in the spring.

I think mine needs a mini hosta garden under it.

Laura
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2008
5:39 AM

Post #4459379

Remeber Laura..yours might both grow differntly and may very well be much larger with time in your area...and will VERY likely need more shade...but placed right it should do fine ...the setting for that tree is nice as is the tree...David
peony01
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #4459950

Beautiful tree and setting.
plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

January 27, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #4462092

Doss- for the time being, my Tsuma Gaki gets very little shade. Within about 3 years, it will be well shaded in the afternoon, but it held up pretty well all the same. A little crispy on the top, and the leaves are uniformly red on top, rather than tipped in red. My soil is pretty moist, though, so it has less trouble dealing with the sun.

That is my favorite spot in the garden, lovely to sit in the late afternoon on the bench and listen to the fountain just behind it.

I collected some seed, which I'm taking a shot at, and I tried to lift a seedling I found last summer, but damaged the roots too badly in the process. Next summer!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #4462168

Well, there you have it. Apparently Tsuma Gaki can take more sun than I thought. I'm sure it will appreciate some shade though. I can sure see why that's your favorite spot in the garden.

Good luck with the seed. I've had pretty good luck with lifting seedlings so be sure to try again.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #4463243

The spot I am planning to put it is currently shaded by a dogwood tree and a second one in the neighbor's yard. My dogwood is badly infected by borers and we believe it will eventually succumb, so I'm treating the neighbor's tree with the bayer product to prevent it getting infected, and plan to do the same with the other trees in my yard. The dogwoods are badly infected in this neighborhood, unfortunately.

I look forward to getting mine into the ground in the early spring.

Laura
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #4463383

Oh, it is so hard to lose a tree like that. Borers are such a terrible problem. That Bayer product really is a life-saver sometimes. Hope that it works for you Laura.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #4463427

Thanks. Me too...maybe my dogwood won't go the way of the others in my yard. I had three small ones in the front yard that had died.

I would love to see other pics of your Tsuma Gaki, Plantaholic!

Laura
plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

January 30, 2008
6:17 AM

Post #4472439

Laura, per your request, a shot from last May showing spring colors. How's your Villa Taranto doing?

Doss, I'm impressed by my TG's sun loving ways as well! I have an 'Orange Dream' that got toasted by the end of summer. (We also had a long dry spell that was augmented by searing heat- ah, the midwest!) I have another cultivar with the same situation in the garden that showed no stress whatsoever, and it was a 3' whip from Forest Farm! (Either 'Kinran' or 'Tiger Rose') It really seems to be such a hit-or-miss kind of thing. My next door neighbor went through two JMs in three years, while mine just grew like a weed. Fickle trees, but so worth it! Your Tsukushi Gata is beautiful- are those leaves as thick and shiny as they appear to be?

Thumbnail by plantaholic186

doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #4474208

The leaves on the Tsukushi Gata are sort of thick and shiny. Here's spring color.

Thumbnail by doss

plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

January 30, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #4474869

How beautiful! Red foliage in spring is such a great contrast to all the green. And I love shiny leaves!
Now, the problem with this whole thread is that I'm now going to have to find somewhere in my overstuffed garden to squeeze in these cultivars!
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #4474929

If you want red foliage in the spring and only a little tree you should try Beni Fushigi. It is a shrubby tree that only is supposed to get 9 feet tall.

Thumbnail by doss

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4475787

More pretties... :-)

Wellll, my Villa Taranto stayed green. It's on the sunny side of my house, which I thought would keep the leaves red, but it went green. Same thing happened with my Crimson Queen this year, but it's in a shady spot for now, so it wasn't unexpected.

I thought sun helped reds stay red, was that wrong?

Villa Taranto is still in a pot, like my Tsuma Gaki. I could still swap them out if Tsuma Gaki can handle more sun than I thought it would. TG is in the shade, and the VT is in the sun. I think height expectation isn't too much different. My biggest issue is that the planting plan has a small tree fairly close to the house, so I'll have to keep it under control, regardless of which one goes next to the house!
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #4476249

I have found here nearly all Jm's green out to some degree in the summer those that don't green out or bronze out...crisp out...even Bloodgoods...sometimes if the weather is right some will have a second flush that is red...I have no proof but I think humidity plays a big part in this...I have yet to see here any JM in mid summer that is bright or dark red period as it is in the spring even my larger trees are just bronze...being more in the sun for most just cause them to crisp more..I would assume the further south you are the worse this would be ...but in a perfect sweet spot it may stay "redder".David
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #4476294

I might add if the trees are under the correct % shade cloth as most nurseries have them they will likely can be kept in their red form at least in less humid ares liker they have in the west coast...so I guess if we shade cloth our back yard we can have purdy JM's in an ugly setting. Actually I plant on keeping most of my Jm's in a shade building I am putting up this year for the ones that aren't in my gardens..David
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #4476727

I had a Suminagashi in full sun and it stayed pretty brilliant red all summer long without burning.
Davidsan
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #4477990

Doss thats why I think humidity has a part in this.You guys just don't have that overbearing humidity like we do..and age of tree helps I have found. I always laugh when folks come to see my maples mid summer ...they always say they want to see red ones ( don't ya have red ones) In fact it's sort of embarrasing to look at alot of the younger ones mid summer ... I tell them to come back in fall or better yet spring ;>)
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #4478550

We certainly don't have the humidity you do. I also realized that Suminagashi is too big a tree for an understory tree. Wouldn't do at all.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #4481049

Interesting theory, David. I'm not sure if I agree or not, but will have to keep my eyes open this summer. There are a lot of red JMs around, probably mostly Bloodgoods. I haven't noted if they get brassy in the summer, but we'll see!

Laura
dellac
hurdle mills, NC

April 27, 2008
11:22 AM

Post #4870556

Hi Laura. How's it going?!!
I would say HI to David, but we email every day anyway!! LOL, Well just about every day.
heres a Wilson's Pink Dwarf.

Thumbnail by dellac

dellac
hurdle mills, NC

April 27, 2008
11:23 AM

Post #4870558

Orangeola spring in NC!
Della

Thumbnail by dellac

dellac
hurdle mills, NC

April 27, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #4870569

A.S. Palmatifolium last Fall.
Della

Thumbnail by dellac

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #4874800

Hi Della!

Remember this little tree in the front? It's my Omure Yama. It's growing slowly but so pretty. I think in a few years, it will look stunning in Spring. The maple in the front left, and the Forest Pansy Redbud on the right further in, a red Japanese Maple...probably Villa Taranto, further down on the left, and the dogwoods in the back yard. Behind the dogwoods is a red camellia which grows as a small tree that blooms before everything else does.

The "crooks" by the tree are to protect it from the lawn guys until I enlarge that bed and/or the tree gets bigger.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

April 28, 2008
4:04 AM

Post #4874967

Laura, it might be sacrilege to say this here, but who need JMs when you have dogwoods like those!
dellac
hurdle mills, NC

April 29, 2008
10:19 AM

Post #4880820

You have a beautiful yard. Do you fertilize the JM's? If not, get some nutricote. It is what the wholesale nursery I get my trees from uses and they do it once a year in Dec.
Della
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #4885124

Thanks! My yard is a long term project. I have little to no real grass, lots of moss, and weeds. :-) My JMs provide seasonal color all around the house, and I love them so. In the fall, I have color for several weeks when others don't.

We had several other dogwoods in the front yard and the neighbor's that died from borers. I've started using a bayer product that kills them systemically, but I may lose my lovely big dogwood eventually. It has some holes in it already, so I enjoy every spring I have it. The smaller one is in the neighbor's yard and I've been treating that one too as she can't afford to do it.

Thanks Della, I don't generally fertilize my JM's but I'll keep an eye open for the nutricote and will get some if I see it.

Laura
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #4885442

Laura, you'll almost surely have to get the Nutricote mail order. I don't fertilize my JM's as they get too big too fast as it is.
mattlwfowler
Walhalla, SC

May 2, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4894211

We have started seeing Nutricote now in small containers under the name Dynamite. From what I have heard it is much safer than osmocote and polyon and it doesn't dump near as bad when the temperatures rise. I think this is because the nutrients are homogenized within a porous material instead of being held in a plastic shell. The type we carry is a 9 month formula for our area, but I'm not sure how you can test its effectiveness. I will be trying some soon on some of my seedling JMs to see how it works.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #4894801

I use it on my daylilies and they do just fine. ON the other hand I don't have a control group so I'm not sure what the results are. Be careful about over fertilizing your JM's. Some of them can get long whippy growth which has to be dealt with. Speaking from experience...
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4907014

Thanks! A couple of my JMs are growing big time this year with no fertilizer other than what is in the planting mix! I cannot believe how big my Peaches and Cream has gotten, in particular. I may have to move it or pinch back some branches in order to keep it near my front door!

I'll keep my eyes open for the fertilizer, it sounds like a nice alternative to osmocote.

Laura

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America