Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: breadings??

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 10, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tennesseetam
Greenback, TN

June 26, 2007
11:14 AM

Post #3659657

I was wondering what others use for breading, both on veggies and meats. I like corn meal on okra and seasoned flour on most all else, but I think my breadings are missing something. They aren't thick enough or crunchy enough (like in restaurants). Any tips? I usually use an egg dredge too...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2007
3:49 AM

Post #3681137

There is a Japanese bread coating, sold in fish markets the name escapes me right now, but it is delicious on most everything I have tried it on. Oh, the name is Pankow. Look for it in fish markets, it is made from rice, and is so crunchy. Yum!
tennesseetam
Greenback, TN

July 1, 2007
2:43 PM

Post #3681946

I found a thread with something called Beer Batter that looks promising. Equal parts of beer and flour, mixed and allowed to sit for 3 hours. I have to try this!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3682913

I don't bread a whole lot of stuff usually but I do love breaded chicken cutlets. I do them like this:

Salt and pepper chicken (basically season or marinate however you like)
Dredge in flour, seasoned or not, lightly--shake off excess.
Dip in egg wash.
Coat in Panko bread crumbs (again you can season or not). Make sure to press them in firmly on both sides. Panko bread crumbs are cut differently and are sort of light. I live in NC and you can find them in most stores where the Soy Sauce and stuff is.

I pan fry in an inch or so of oil. I like to salt them a tiny bit once out of the oil and draining. I use these for chicken parm, chicken sanwiches, in salads and they stay pretty crisp even when cold. Tempura batter sounds like it might be good too. May have to try that too.

For chicken fried steak, I do the same only instead of Panko I do seasoned flour.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #3902240

I love Panko bread crumbs. I bought them for a chicken cutlet recipe and they stay crispy even after refrigeration and reheating. The recipe I used was seasoned flour dredge, let dry on a rack for about 15 min. , egg wash then roll and pat in the Panko crumbs. Fry in hot oil and I lightly sprinkle with kosher salt as soon as they come out of the oil to drain on paper towels. Very good bread crumbs.
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3903915

Try adding some really crushed up "Cheezit Tobasco Crackers". Tasty on chicken or green tomatoes with panko.
gofast
Aschaffenburg
Germany

August 31, 2007
10:25 AM

Post #3920770

dmac 085, sorry I am a foreigner: What's egg wash?

Martin
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #3924054

Beat egg with a little milk or even water and dip meat veggie etc before coating with crumbs.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3924135

Thanks Panco was the Japanese bread coating that I couldn't recall the name of in an earlier post. It is good on everything I have tried it with.
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2007
5:06 PM

Post #3932031

I make a "shake 'n' bake" style mix with unseasoned bread crumbs. I add lots of herbs and spices to a 1-lb container size breadcrumbs: oregano, basil, chervil, tarragon, paprika, thyme, marjoram. Then I add 1 Tblsp McCormick lemon pepper (one of the lowest in sodium). Mix well and keep in an airtight container. Excellent for breading fish, chicken, turkey cutlets, etc. I use EVOO to grease the baking pan and drizzle lightly over the breaded meat.

Very tasty, and so much lower in sugar and sodium than the commercial mix.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #4002990

Hi gofast,

Sorry it took so long to respond. An egg wash is just beaten egg with a little milk or water. You just dip the chicken or whatever in it after the flour and coat with the beaten egg mix then pat into the breading/crumbs. Helps them to stick to the meat. Hope that helps. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America