Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Cooking with Titanium pots & pans

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

We want to upgrade our cooking gear for our small RV, an Aliner. We have been using my husbands old Boy Scout Aluminum pots & pans from many years ago and they are terrible to cook with.
I found a set that is titanium and I'm wondering how evenly titanium cooks? Do you have any cooking experience with titanium? If not titanium what would you recommend? Remember space is at a premium.

Thumbnail by Shadyfolks
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I haven't posted in a while, but skip the titanium unless you have to pack your cook gear on your back. Use stainless or nonstick cookware. Look at the stuff made by MSR for ideas and prices, then shop around. They both work better than aluminium and take more abuse, especially the stainless ones.

Willis

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

willis, thanks there sets ook very simaliar to the ones I was looking at.
Thanks, Sue

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

the titanium pots can be expensive as well. we have one pot that we take backpacking since it is pretty light. i think we paid around $50 for it. we mostly boil water in it or cook oatmeal or ramin noodles in it. it cooks well and cleans up pretty easily.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi kazooie. I'll be heading off to your part of the country again in early Oct for a trip. Permits got denied for north rim of the canyon for the Thunder springs area. We'll reapply for a smaller group. Otherwise, maybe Buckskin Gulch & Paria or Zion area.

Anyways Kazooie is on the money about cost with Titanium. Only worth the moo-la if your counting ounces.

Willis

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

hi willis, sorry that your permit was denied. the north rim is our favorite destination for the grand canyon...cooler, more shade, and less people. was it denied because of the time of year? they close the north rim around the end of october, but you can still get into the park as long as the road there has not been closed due to snow.

i of am not familiar with buckskin gulch...where is that?

zion has been having problems with fires. guess they had to evacuate some backpackers and some fire crew personnel last week. in fact, seems like the whole state of utah is on fire. when we drove through utah up to idaho, we saw quite a few fires. anyways, by october, the fires should be over, i hope. keep me posted where you decide to go.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I think our permit was denied cause we had the max group size of 7, so we are cutting that down assuming some people will bail on the trip. We'll see. Have you ever been to the Thunder River & Deer Creek area? We were planning on going the first week of October so its still open and probably nice weather in the canyon.

If you haven't heard of Buckskin Gulch, you MUST add that to your list. Awesome hike through Buckskin Gulch to Paria Canyon and either follow Paria all the way to the Grand Canyon and get a shuttle back or when you hit the confluence of Buckskin & Paria you hike up Paria for about 7 miles back to a car or bike. Buckskin is the world's longest slot canyon supposedly. Very deep and very narrow with water scoured walls that illustrate the awesome power of water and the certain death with being trapped in there. Paria is cool also. Also Coyote Buttes is there also, but I have never been able to get a permit to day hike there. Kinda absurd how limiting they are for the Coyote Buttes area. If you try and get permits you'll see what I mean. I've tried at least 3 times on different trips and one time in person. The area is basically right on the Utah/AZ border (the confluence sits almost smack dab on the border) and is NW of Page, AZ. It is a very nice section of Utah and there are several day hike options just north of there along Cottonwood canyon road which is usually in great shape. Why not hike Willis Creek for example. Looks like its time to give Google a workout.

I would definitely place Buckskin/Paria on my must do list and since your in the neighborhood...

Willis

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

hi willis,
i have not been to the thunder river and deer creek area. we have not had too many opportunities to hike down into the canyon yet. maybe some day.

we have not had a chance to go to paria, but hear that it is great. i did not realize that buckskin gulch was off of paria. i believe that "the wave" is part of the coyote buttes area?? if so, it is very hard to get a permit to go there since they only let so many people in per day. we were going to try to go to "the wave" last october for a photo shoot, but the trip was canceled. hopefully we can work in a trip up southern utah/ northern arizona this fall when the kids are on fall break in october. there are so many places we would like to see and have not had the time to do it.

are you taking your girls with you on this trip? i hope your plans work out, and let us know how your trip goes when you get back.

(Zone 5b)

We use nesting cookware. I don't know if it's Revere, but it's copper-bottom and works well.
There is one handle that hooks on all of the items, and the dutch oven (which houses all the pieces) has a swivel-handle. The cover of the dutch oven doubles as the frying pan. I think there are 2 pots, the fry-pan, and the dutch oven in the set, and it takes up only the amount of space that the D-oven uses since they all nest. It's really a nice set. If you google "nesting cookware" there are many options that come up in either the 'products' menu or the 'images' section. Add the words "camp" or "camping" if you like for your search.

Edit to add: we didn't pay the outrageous prices I'm seeing doing that search. I know we bought it new, but it wasn't that long ago (maybe 5 or 6 years ago), and we MAYBE paid $40 or $50 for the whole set. Certainly not the $150 plus prices that I'm looking at. Good luck!

Found one...this is what we have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Pc-Stainless-Steel-Copper-bottom-Family-Cook-Set-NIB_W0QQitemZ150146522599QQihZ005QQcategoryZ87133QQcmdZViewItem

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 10:00 AM

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 10:03 AM

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Not taking the girls on this trip. Boys only. The wave is pretty much a crock as far as being able to get permits. I will surely post pics when I get back from where ever we go.

Willis

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Shadyfolks

Could you please post some pics of the inside of your RV? I've seen them in the magazines and can't figure how they must look. I thought one might be just the ticket for me. Is it easy to set up?

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi there CajuninKy,
We love our little camper, It takes less than 30 seconds to pop up the top! Our model is a 2005. they really updated the inside in the new 2008's. Our box is 12' x 6.5' plus the outside storage box is 3'.
Here is the manufacturer's website: http://www.aliner.com/design/products_detail.php#6?sectid=5
They are out of Pennsylvania. Click on the download button and you will be able to view the different floor plans and download a brochure if you want. We have the classic layout.

the other company in the US that makes a similar camper is Chalet: www.chaletrv.com they are from out west.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2008 7:12 PM

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Wow.....seeing the photo of your Aliner was like having a daydream become real!! I was actually thinking about an aframe camper when I saw your on line message board. My preference is tent camping, but lately my thoughts have moved to the possibilities of adding an Aliner to my camping experiences. Such an upgrade would enable me to better cope with greater variences in weather, and I think I'd probably sleep better in areas where bear are in the habit of midnight visits to campgrounds.

Two things I've wondered about, and maybe you could shed some light, are cold weather and gas mileage. If you've ever used your Aliner when temperatures get below freezing, I'd be interested in knowing if it remains comfortable inside. Also, have you discovered how towing the Aliner changes your MPG?

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi lubbockjoe,
We too were tent campers, we got away from camping for some years, but in 2005 decided it was time to get back to it, but didn't want to sleep anymore on an air mattress etc... yet wanted to keep it simple. Most folks who own an A-frame campers were previous tenters, the next largest groups were previous canvas pop-up camper owners.

As for your questions:
Below freezing? We have not slept in weather that cold, we have used our furnace and it heats up quite quickly to take the chill out of the morning air.
MPG towing? My DH He would guess 10% loss in MPG. But there are a lot of variables (ie: weight (how much do you take with you), how fast are you driving?....) Check out the manufactures website for information on weights.

There is a GREAT forum for A-frame campers: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/alinerchaleta-frames/ There is a wealth of information & pictures. You will definitely find answers to your questions and so much more.

We love our Aliner, We purchased new and have not had many major problems with it. We taken a couple of 1 week trips & last fall we took 19 days and drove Rt. 66. We were on the move everyday and it was a real pleasure to pack up and move.

Westland, MI

I have a set of nesting pots and pans complete with coffee percolator. Has to be at least 50 years old. I remember it as a kid. It has long since lost it's stainless luster, but I wouldn't replace it unless it had a serious meltdown. Fantastic stuff, that stainless. Lasts forever. It's a bit weighty though.

We were tent campers and my dad built this nifty "camp kitchen" which held the pots and pans, plates and silverware, canned goods and all sorts of useful stuff. I inherited it and it's still going strong.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

lena9221
I wish my husbands old Boy Scout pots where SS, but they are not. I am a huge fan of SS I still have them in the camper and use them if I need a larger pots. I like the new nestling pots they are both smaller than the aluminum ones and seem to do a fine job so I am not disappointed in them.

I was just talking with a co-worker this past week and she was telling me stories of the family 'camp kitchen' from her childhood. Fortunately my little camper has room for all that sort of stuff so I don't have to haul things in & out, in & out like in our good old tent camping days...been there, done that.

Westland, MI

I think that those camp kitchens came in a kit. My dad, being the perfectionist that he is, modified it a bit to accomodate certain items, put better hinges on, etc. It worked, because here it is almost 50 years and a bear or two later, and I'm still using it.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Lena,
I would love to see a picture

Westland, MI

Shadyfolks
This is the only picture I could find. It's a bit messy in the background, but I took the pic as we were unpacking. I'd take a couple more, but it's buried in the storage room.

The upper left is the silverware drawer. Under that, I keep the paper plates and the lighter for the stove. All the shelves are adjustable. They just pull out and slide into a different slot. Not much adjustment on the food side, but you can see all the slots on the left. On the right, I keep a mini dish drainer on the bottom with all the clothspins, dishtowels, dishcloths, and odds and ends. (not usually the napkin dispenser.) The door acts as a little countertop if you keep it far enough back on the table.

It's a handy item to have even if you're using a camper.

Thumbnail by lena9221
Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Boy, I can see how that would be handy with a tent. Too bad I didn't have something like back when I was tenting :(

Ashland City, TN

Hello all,
My husband and I love to camp so I thought I'd check out this forum. Glad I did cause we were talking about getting one of those small campers or a pop-up for the next time we "take off".

Shadyfolks, do you think a Dodge Dekota (I think that's how you spell it) truck will pull an Aliner?

My husband and I took off in 2004 and camped out in a tent for 2 months straight!! We packed all our belongings (things just worked out at that time in our lives that we were renting, had saved money, and had few belongings) into our Dodge Neon (believe it or not) and just headed out. It was the most wonderful 2 months of our 35 years of marriage!! No responsibilities - total freedom!! If we knew then what we know now...we'd still be on the road:) - LOL

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Lustre Craft & Kitchen Craft waterless cookwear are about the best pots you can buy. Expensive, but forever garauntee - your grandchildren can bring a pot with a problem to a distributor 70 years from now & they'll replace it. You can even stack 3 pots on top of each other & cook in all of them on 1 burner.

I use to sell them for a year in '05 & I heard 1,000 positive comments & no negative ones from people who owned them already. Don't think of a price like you see in the store though.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Gourmet
Where is Hester?

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Right inbetween N.O. & Baton Rouge. It's not even on any map I've ever seen.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Is it around Gonzales? I was raised between Ponchatoula and Madisonville in Bedico. It's not on any map either. It's on Hwy 22. When I was grown I moved down the bayou to Dulac, below Houma on Grand Caillou Road. I call it home.

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Yeah, Gonzales is about 20 minutes NW of me. I'm between Convent & Lutcher/Gramercy on the Mississippi river. I've been through the other places you lived a good many times & never knew I'd been through Bedico...

Don't know anybody who still has the old heirloom Louisiana strawberries out there, huh? I don't want any of these new varieties, ust the little great tasting old ones that are virtually extinct.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

You are looking for the Tangi variety. It tastes heavenly but doesn't ship well and I guess that was it's demise. I imagine a few home gardeners still grow it. I'll try to remember to ask my Mom if she knows anybody who has some plants.

Way back in the day we lived in Thibodaux and we used to cross the ferry at Gramercy to go visit our folks. We always used to buy peanuts from the man who sold them while folks waited for the ferry. He was a minister and a very nice man. He sold the peanuts to help his church.

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes, yes! I remember the peanut man from when I was a little boy! That's incredible!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

He passed away a good number of years ago. I was sad when I heard it. Does the ferry still run at Gramercy?

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

No, now there's a bridge with a road that runs from I-10 to back Vacherie.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I guess it's progress but it's sad at the same time. The ferry was something special. I'm glad we have a few pics. Do any of the ferrys still run?

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

Edgard/Reserve, weekdays - not nights. St.Gabriel/Plaquemine runs a little more often. They're building a HUGE bridge now to replace the St.Francisville/ New Roads ferry - so it's on it's last leg.

It's very different here. Towards Baton Rouge from here has more than tripled in size since Katrina. The rural woods back of Gonzales has almost become 1 big subdivision all the way to B.R. & Hammond the other way. You can barely get rural until you're a good 15 miles north of I-12. We're just in an old bend of the Mississippi river that's been bypassed with newer roads that go straight instead of following the river.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It changed all over south La after Katrina. My family lives on the North shore. It used to be very rural. Now there are subdivisions with huge houses all over. One runs right into another. There isn't any "country" living any more. No way I'd ever want to go back there. There are hundreds of houses in each subdivision and lots of them are empty. The traffic is horrible. Houma grew like wild fire. It's like a big city now but down the bayou in Dulac it's like a ghost town. So sad.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Shadyfolks,
Is the weather starting to get better at your house? It is looking a ggod bit like Spring now and we are itching to go camping. DH told DGS we might pull the trailer into the barn and stay in it tonight or tomorrow night. The things we don't do for grand kids. LOL It would be good to have a dry run to get things in order before we go out to camp.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.