Photo by Melody

Cooking: Ummm Good: Popeye's red beans and rice??

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 8, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2007
5:17 PM

Post #3665637

I love Popeye's red beads and rice. I can never achieve the smokey flavor! Well...I just bought at Randalls (Safeway family) a can of "Glory" brand Red Beans and Rice...New Orleans Style...for 1.29.

WOW..it tastes just the same!

1/2 cup serving (120 g) = 90 calories, 0.5g fat, 0mg chol, 680mg sodium, 18g carbs, and 3g dietary fiber, and 1g sugar, 5g protein.
IT also provides 4% daily calcium and 8% iron!

So, if you eat the entire can, multiply by 3.
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2007
6:08 PM

Post #3665861

isn't that high for sodium..?? i cook up own. my husband thought better but been 4 yrs since cooked it..lol. can be simpler.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #3669544

Regrettable, it's correct...mil. grams...does that make a diff...not grams? Do you think it's the salt that makes it taste so good?

I checked and my diet coke that I drink about 1 a day of...only has 40 mg...YIKES...thanks for bringing this to my attention! :)
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

July 8, 2007
5:23 PM

Post #3711267

Having lived in the deep south for 34 years.. I cooked up a lot of red beans and rice.

I put in onion, garlic and bell pepper. Creole seasoning and smoked sausage.

The biggest secret though is to make sure you cook them till barely any beans are left whole. Creamy.

I hail originally from Texas though and they do pinto beans here.
I've recently started putting a can of rotel tomatoes in mine.. just one. that makes them have just a little zing.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #3711884

Georgart...
The beans at Popeye's are VERY smokey tasting...do you think that's from the smoked sausage (I never get a "hunk" of sausage from their beans) or a flavoring that can be bought?
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

July 8, 2007
11:15 PM

Post #3712282

you can buy smoke in a bottle, but I am afraid of that.. it's really easy to get too much.
I would put the smoked sausage in the pan and boil it for a while. chop it up small if you don't want a piece.. or add some smokey bacon. I usually always add some salt pork, but smoky bacon would be good too.
Dann_L
San Tan Valley, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #3943762

Popeye's Red Beans and Rice are my favorite! I also posted and inquiry about this subject and got some interesting responses that you might find interesting... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/683638/ I'm going to stop at Safeway and see if they carry the Glory brand here. Thanks for the tip.

3516planter
Parkville, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2007
7:10 AM

Post #3977198

I too love Popeye's red beans and rice,and after reading this thread tried the Glory brand of red beans n rice. I found that they were the nearest to the Popeye's in flavor, but was just a little salty for my taste. I plan to try to cook my own. Thanks for the suggestions about the smoked sausage and bacon.

3516planter sends...
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

September 15, 2007
5:30 PM

Post #3978295

I dunno.. though I was raised in Texas and Mississippi where it's only 70 mi from New Orleans.. and Monday is rice and beans day still. Literally, in the schools they still do rice and beans on Mondays, when confronted with a choice between red beans and something else.. I choose something else.
I try and cook pintos at least once a week, as we live with my folks and my job is cooking the main meals. I like them.. sometimes even love them, but I never order them out.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America