Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: hydrangea

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beccab107

June 27, 2007
9:27 PM

Post #3666677

My hydrangea, planted last year, is now wilting. I did notice it was wilting yesterday but this morning looked good. Now, late afternoon, it's wilting again. It has been watered and is planted in a sunny location. Weather has been hot and humid but this is only the beginning of the summer. Is this wilting something to be concerned with? Is there anything I can do or should be doing?
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3666878

It is probably wilting because its in a sunny location. As far as I know, they can't handle that much sun, especially afternoon sun. I had an endless summer that I planted last year in full sun(because the tag said so) and it started dying almost immediately. I called the nursery and they said they can't handle that much sun unless you're far north. I'm in zone 5b. I moved mine to a place under a tree, it still gets afternoon sun, but not too much. If I don't get it watered before the sun gets to it(every day), it starts wilting. They say the best place is under a tree with dappled sunlight and recieving morning sun. They also love water. This is probably why it looks fine in the mornings and begins wilting in the afternoon. Just keep it well watered and maybe try to find a more protected place for it.

Kristie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #3666884

In most climates hydrangeas are going to want shade at least during the hottest part of the day, I can't think of anywhere that they would be able to take full sun--is that where yours is? And the hotter your summers, the more shade it will need. You don't mention where you live, but if it's somewhere down south where you get a lot of really hot weather you probably want it somewhere that it only gets a few hours of sun in the morning but then mostly shade for the rest of the day. I'm curious why you didn't have this trouble last year though--when during the year did you plant it?
momo125
Windsor, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2007
1:56 PM

Post #3673450

Put your hose under it and set the hose to the slowest trickle possible. leave it for 1hr. Hopefully this will water it deep enough to keep it going for a few days. I would definitely move it as soon as the weather cools. Don't move it in the heat of the day. If you dig it up, do it on a cloudy day or in the evening. you don't want the sun to dry up the feeder roots and you don't want to stress it more than you already have. I hope yu have a shady spot for it.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #3676230

If you don't have a shady spot, I think that people grow hydrangeas in large pots as well. Maybe you could transplant it to a pot and be able to find a shady spot for it.

Kristie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America