Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Oriental poppy buds withered before blooming

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yjing
Northport, NY

June 29, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #3671638

My new oriental poppy plant was full of huge buds that were about to bloom. One morning all the buds started withering and then just turned brown and fell off. What happened?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 29, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #3671895

Hi yjing, I have had this problem this year also, lucky I have loads of these poppies and not all were affected, some on the same plant were and the rest of the buds opened up and were truely lovely, I can only think that I had a really hot spring and had to water my beds/borders in March/April, then had a really cold wet spell of weather, so I asumed the buds just rotted due to the dry then wet climate, I dont normally have any problems with any poppies, so that was the only change of treatment to the buds that I can come up with, I just cut off the brown mouldy buds and will leave the plant alone now till it is time to tidy up the foliage for autumn, by deadheading the bad buds, it will stop any mould getting onto anything else close by them, hope this is of some help to you and good luck with the plants next year, they are as tough as old boots, so dont think it is a major problem you have. Weenel.
aspenbooboo41
Whitehall, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2007
11:49 AM

Post #3673071

It's one of my favorite flowers, but I've had no luck with poppies. Last year I had three nice plants, then we had a spell of wet weather and all the buds and half-opened flowers, then the plants, rotted.
I planted out three plants in autumn; lost two over winter. One plant left... looking good into June, then the bottom leaves started yellowing. The first bud turned all squishy inside, so I took it off. Second bud was nice and tall and big, it started to open with one petal and then just fizzled out, all petals fell off. I've since cut it back to about 2" from the ground, dug it out (nice healthy root system) and moved it, hoping it will do better in a different location. Poppies do not like to be transplanted, but it's my last ditch effort.
They are very hardy plants once established, but I have found that getting them established is the really tricky part.
yjing
Northport, NY

June 29, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #3673483

It sounds similar to what happened with my poppies. There was a big rain and then the buds all sort of rotted. I will take your suggestions about deadheading the brown buds and hopefully next year I will have a gorgeous display.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America