Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Endless Summer Hydrangea

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tp5535

June 29, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #3671926

Does anyone have an Endless Summer The Original Hydrangea? And is it blooming yet? Does anyone know how to change the color of this plant?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 29, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #3676226

Cant help with this named Hydrangia, but will go along with all the different ones I have growing here in Scotland UK, my climbing one has finnished flowering for this year, all the spent flowers are beginning to fade, but this one is always way ahead of my shrub type, as for my shrub types, these are in full bud as of now, just some colour starting to show, the pink ones are further on than the blue and white/cream ones, but that could have more to do with the position rather than the type, the blue ones are in bud but the flowers are still cream, only when they fully mature the clusters will the blue colour come forth, the cream ones are the same but will prob flower fully about a week after the others, this year I seem to have more buds/flower clusters than before, but we did have a very hot start to spring here and then a real cold spell, so far, we have had a wet cool summer, so this may have helped the shrub produce even more flowers than usual, if you look close at your shrubs, I would have expected you to have some flower clusters forming by now as they do take a wee bit of time/weeks to make a full cluster that will show colour about 3/4 weeks after that. hope this helps you some, good luck. WeeNel.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2007
3:47 AM

Post #3678027

I'm in zone 5 and I have an Endless Summer. It just now has the start to one bud. You change the color by changing the acidity of the soil. I forget what you can by to change itto blue(maybe aluminum phosphate?)but last year I read burying pennies or pushing rebar into the soil will turn the flowers blue. Also pine needles should make it turn blue. Once mine open I'll let you know if the pennies and rebar worked(I did both).

Kristie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2007
3:57 AM

Post #3678058

Aluminum sulfate is what people usually use to turn them blue, lime will turn them pink. I don't think pennies and rebar are going to do too much, what is necessary to make the flowers blue is acidic soil with some aluminum in it, I'm not sure if pennies and rebar even have aluminum in them, and they won't do much to drop the pH of your soil so if you didn't already have acidic soil with aluminum in it, they probably won't change things much.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2007
4:02 AM

Post #3678067

Well, I was halfway right on the aluminum thing...I figured the pennies and rebar was taking a chance, but I actually had those things laying around and was interested to see if it would do anything. If by some miraculous event they turn out all blue, I'll let you know. :)

Kristie
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #3682714

Hi tp5335,

Check out the hydrangea forum. http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/hydrangeas/all/ . Endless Summer is frequently discussed. I've learned so much about hydrangeas from that forum.

Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America