Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Cedar strips for diy lattice

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 8, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #3676406

I want a portion of our fence to be garden (square)lattice. Have any of you built your own lattice? Can you buy the cedar strips and then are they stapled or nailed? I looked online but they kept showing me how to assemble such a fence w/ pre fab lattice. thank you.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3676436

I've found cedar strips at Home Depot. I did try building my own lattice once, but I ended up not liking the look of it as much as the pre-made lattice panels (I didn't get the spacing quite as even, etc). I used a little brad nailer that I borrowed from my neighbor to fasten mine, but you could probably use a staple gun too.
donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2007
10:00 PM

Post #3676440

unless you have a source for the strips that you can get them for free,it would be for more costly then just using the premade lattice. Most lattice is stapled
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #3676458

Geez, I don't like the look of most lattice @ the store but oogle and oogle @ lattice I have seen in magazines. Is it so expensive because it is cedar?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3676483

What's the difference between the ones you're seeing in the magazines and the ones at the store? Maybe you're looking for a different sort of strips than the ones that I found (which may have been redwood not cedar, most stuff here is redwood) The reason I tried the DIY thing was that I wanted ones that looked like the pre-made ones, but I can't fit a 4' wide premade lattice in the trunk of my tiny sports coupe. So I figured I'd build my own instead. Then it looked horrible, so I bought some bamboo lattice stuff from an online place instead. I don't think making your own is really any more expensive, at least for the strips I bought it I think they were about $1 for an 8 foot strip, and the pre-made panels were ~$20 or so for an 4x8 foot section so it probably works out about the same.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2007
10:13 PM

Post #3676510

the one I want to build is a square, as opposed to triangle, pattern. And it is probably about 1 1/2 - 2 " hole between ea. frame or strip.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #3676529

That sounds like exactly what I built then, I'd go by your local Home Depot/Lowes and see if they have the lattice strips.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #3676545

would that be lath (lathe?) strips?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #3676618

Sorry, I don't know what they called them. They were out in the garden center part of the store, in the back near where they had the premade lattice panels.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America