-
AuthorContent
plantgypsy
Tocumwal
Australia

June 30, 2007
3:14 AM

Post #3677899

Hello to all, I am looking for apricot pits from reputed 'sweet pit' varieties such as "chinese" or "Mormon", 'Starks sweetheart', 'canadian white bleinheim' or 'hunzacot'.
I am also interested in any white fleshed varieties (none of these are available in Australia and importing plants is not financially viable- this is therefore a long term project for me).
The sender would need to be willing to clean the pits very thouroughly and obtain a phytosanitory certificate (at my cost of course) Im not fussy about quantity, small quantities may get through if just posted in a padded bag.
I have been looking for these for a while and even a few would be wonderful! I am happy to pay any costs involved and swap for seeds if you are interested. I own a retail nursery in Australia and have access to alot of Australian Native seed, as well as exotics.
Thanking you all in advance!!
Sugarcane52
Marianna, FL

June 30, 2007
12:27 PM

Post #3678566

I wish you success on this forum. However, I used to be into fruit a lot and would also suggest an organization like North American Fruit Explorers--which has worldwide membership. I used to be a member for a number of years. They are a bunch of fruit "nuts"--extensive hobbies some of them. I used to test over 100 varieties of pear for example. I'm sure that some of them are growing the varieties that you want. You should be able to find them on internet search.
Also, I was a member of Southern Fruit Fellowship. It is a somewhat similar organization which I was a member for a long time. I was a founding member. It has over 300 members now--also with a little worldwide membership, but not as much as NAFEX.
I have been to Aus 37 years ago. You grow some very nice fruit there In the Murray Valley, I think it was and sugarcane elsewhere. I have a sugarcane grower contact in Queensland.
If I might be of more help to you, you can D-Mail me here at this forum.
Sugarcane52
Sugarcane52
Marianna, FL

June 30, 2007
12:57 PM

Post #3678640

A few more hints : Peach (and probably apricot) pits germinate best if scarified or moist-chilled before planting. Excising the embryo also improves germination. You can open it much like an oyster.
It MIGHT be that apricots are already out of season in the US as I recall they ripen very early for the most part. (When I had some, they ripened in early May) The sweet pit varieties MAY ripen later, however. Also, higher latitudes ripen later.
I also used to run a nursery. I specialized in fruit trees.
Sugarcane52
plantgypsy
Tocumwal
Australia

July 1, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3680557

Thanks so much for your info Sugarcane! I will check it out and if I hit another dead end I may contact you to 'pick your brain' some more. Cheers
Plantgypsy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other International Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: Who can I trade seeds with? singleyellowros 23 Feb 11, 2008 3:12 PM
CLOSED: Looking for Japanese Morning glory seeds and Japanese iris gloriag 2 Jun 7, 2008 6:05 PM
Palm seeds for trade gcolbert28303 5 May 5, 2008 12:57 AM
Salvia Seeds for Salvia Seeds:) annette68 6 Oct 30, 2007 4:01 AM
Ipomoea batatas B1ZZYL1ZZY 19 May 18, 2007 9:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America