Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Candylily bloom

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
aspenbooboo41
Whitehall, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #3681860

I have Candylily x Pardancanda norrisii and am wondering when the bloom stalks are supposed to start to appear? I'm anxious to see if it's actually going to bloom this year, here's why:

I got this plant last year and it got the bloom stalks and buds (had them for a long time) but never flowered (I think we had too much rain and the buds rotted). The plant did stay very healthy through last summer and grew so much that I divided it this spring. It was looking pretty healthy but now some of the fans are starting to fade in color just a bit, maybe due to the hot weather? No bloom stalks yet, and no sign of them. I am wondering if this plant is behind schedule?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #3684072

Takes about 4 months or so to form flowers. Patience.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

aspenbooboo41
Whitehall, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2007
12:37 PM

Post #3685126

Thanks Dale. I am expending a great deal of patience on my tomato plants this year... not sure I have any left. LOL
4 months from what point do you mean? Any idea I should expect to see the beginnings of flower stalks here in zone 6? The plants seem kind of in limbo right now; haven't noticed any growth for a few weeks.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
3:58 PM

Post #3686081

About 4 months from your 'average last frost' date. My guess - July. You should be seeing a bud for the flower stem soon since it has stopped growing new leaves. If you remove the flower stem after it is done the plant should send out new growth from the base, forming a good size clump after a few years. I always cut out the old growth as soon as it is half yellow (or a little more).

I am not sure what triggers them to bloom. Some plants it is the long days of summer, other plants it is the shorter days of fall (mums are like that) and some are day neutral, they bloom as soon as they are big enough (annuals are like that).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America