Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Crocosmia Lucifer - what would you plant with it?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 15, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

July 1, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #3682523

Last year a spotted this stunning RED flower, I had never seen before. I went to the door and asked the cute lady what it was, she didn't know...
I searched and found it!
I was hesitant to buy it because although I loved it, I have color issues and try to keep only one or two color combinations and currently do not have any red.

I think I am going to love them, I planted them by my mailbox, I have about a 3 foot area dug out in a circle, I did have shasta daisies but they go crazy and look unkept.
Question is, should I keep them in a group by themselves? Or add some complementary plants?
Any suggestions?
Thank you

Thumbnail by flowerprincess
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #3684117

Have a favorite annual? Something easy. Like marigolds?

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
2:20 AM

Post #3684123

Zinnia, the small flowered ones are well behaved and don't get too tall.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3684127

Geranium?

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #3684142

Verbena?

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #3684152

Coreopsis?

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
2:32 AM

Post #3684169

I like pentas, but, I don't think they would like Utah.

That pretty much covers all the easy ones I know.

tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #3684335

You could always use some white annual vinca. It blooms all summer and doesn't need deadheading. I like dale's suggestion about the coreopsis, too. If you pop the little seedheads off moonbeam, it will have dainty yellow flowers all season. It's perennial, too.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2007
3:27 AM

Post #3684357

Whatever you decide, be careful with watering...I've found that Crocosmia don't like a lot of regular watering...for me anyway...they don't bloom much if getting water on a regular basis.
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2007
5:52 PM

Post #3686582

Nasturtium? The ones I plant are always pretty reds, oranges, and yellows, and they are supposedly supposed to like neglect, so if the crocosmia don't like a lot of water the Nasturtiums could handle not getting watered as much...

Kristie
flowerprincess
Ogden, UT

July 2, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #3687371

Good to know to not give them to much water! I put them in the perfect spot then. I like the nasturtium idea, and I have seeds I forgot all about. I wonder if they will still grow or if it is too late? I'll try it...

Like the idea of the yellow coreopsis and verbena too!
Guess the pentas don't like Utah :( too bad they are pretty.

thanks for all your ideas
kls_01
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #3687457

Nasturtium seem to grow pretty quickly. I planted mine in April and they're just now starting to bloom. But, they're also in partial sun. I'm sure if they got full sun they'd bloom...plus, if you have a longer season in Utah, you should be fine. I have no idea what your weather's like there...

Kristie
aspenbooboo41
Whitehall, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2007
2:09 PM

Post #3698051

I have Portulaca planted with mine in full sun, soil on the dry side. I love the bright colors! It's an ideal plant for hot, dry locations (but doesn't seem to mind the rain or being watered), spreads out nicely, and requires no maintenance whatsoever. I've been told it reseeds, so I am keeping my fingers crossed it comes back next year.

Interestingly enough, I have another patch of Crocosmia (not pictured, planted with blue annual lobelia at it's feet) that's in a part shade location where the soil stays evenly moist. This patch has flowers starting to open now, whereas my hot/dry location patch is still probably about 2 weeks from flowering.

Thumbnail by aspenbooboo41

daphnecat
Mays Landing, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #3700439

My Crocosmia grows to about 3ft tall and would look great surrounded by nepeta, the six hills giant variety.
aspenbooboo41
Whitehall, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2007
2:46 AM

Post #3701388

Yes I agree with Nepeta too. If you look at my picture I have it planted just next to the Crocosmia on the right, but I agree it would look great planted all around it. Maybe I will do that next year!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3705455

I planted several different sun coleus with mine. I love all the mixed and varied colors of sun coleus!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America