AuthorContent
StressedTek
Racine, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2007
7:57 PM

Post #3682878

Hello!

Being very new to Rhodies I'm wondering what color new leaf growth should be? The older leaves are dark green but the new leaves are pale yellow with dark veins. I guess I want to make sure that it's not in need of something.

Thank you so much!

Christy

Thumbnail by StressedTek
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #3682888

Needs iron. You could add some chelated iron, but make sure to check your soil pH too, if your soil is alkaline then even if there's iron in the soil the plant can't take it up. So if your soil is alkaline, I'd fix that first and see if it greens up on its own, then add the chelated iron if it doesn't.
StressedTek
Racine, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3683622

Thanks so much ecrane3! I'm going to look into it!

Christy
StressedTek
Racine, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3704195

ecrane I tested the soil this week and it appears that the soil is 'slightly acidic' at 6.5 ? Now I've read different numbers in different places. I've read they should be between 4.0 and 6.0. What's the number I that I should be striving for and what's the best way to get there?

Christy
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #3704725

Honestly I think it will probably be OK at 6.5--if you're over 7 then I would try to amend the soil, but amending is really a pain and I think (not positive though) that they should be able to absorb iron at pH 6.5. I would at least give it a try adding some iron, then if some time goes by and you're not seeing an improvement then go back and try to amend to lower the pH.
StressedTek
Racine, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #3704780

Sounds good to me! I'll be in search of the iron this weekend!

Thanks so much for the advice, it's very much appreciated

Christy
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2007
2:25 PM

Post #3731403

All the above messages are valuable anwers to your question but very often new leaves are much lighter when they first come out than when they are mature. Why not wait a while untile the leaves are mature before you start any other corrections? I have damaged or even killed more rhododendrons by over care ( over fertilization etc.) than i ever helped. They are plants which once they are established need little more than some water in a drought. They get a lot of their necessary nutrition from the mulch which should cover them.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3732540

New leaves often are a paler color, but the leaves in the picture in the first post definitely look chlorotic, they have the typical pattern of green veins surrounded by the rest of the leaf being yellower. This does indicate a need for iron, I don't think it's just a case of the new leaves looking a little different color and they'll eventually green up on their own
bacarney
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2007
10:02 PM

Post #3793783

I have a similar concern about two new plants that I added to my garden earlier this spring. Both were blooming when I planted them. Both have new growth that is lighter and the lnew eaves have that veined pattern you described.

Will I solve this problem with an application of brand name (Miracle Grow) azalea/rhodendron food? I fed them recently with plain old (general) Miracle Grow--the other (more mature) leaves look very healthy, but the new growth doesn't look so hot.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #3793926

If you fed them recently you probably don't want to feed them again right away, too much fertilizer will burn the plants. I would check your soil pH, and if it's at least slightly on the acidic side I would see if you can find a product that just has chelated iron in it (not a bunch of fertilizer too) and add that. If your soil pH is high, then you might want to adjust it down a bit first, then if the leaves don't green up in a few weeks then add the iron (if your soil pH is too high, the plant can't take up the iron even if there's enough in the soil)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America