Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Strawberry Geranium Question

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mellymass
Metrowest, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2007
1:09 PM

Post #3685431

I got a few of these on Ebay last year from a lady in GA that I have been buying plants from for about a year now. I planted them last year and forgot about them. A couple of months back they started coming up and what was a couple of small sprigs has now turned into about 4 or 5. Do any of you guys have exprience with these? I have seen here that they can make a great groundcover but I am unsure on how to "encourage" them to do this. Right now I have only been brave enough to have them in 2 of my raised gardens that get part sun and they seem to like it.

I will post pics of them later when I get home.

Thanks
Mel
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 3, 2007
9:22 PM

Post #3691451

Hi Mel, I dont recognise the name of your geranium, there are hundreds,
but I am going with the perennial type, so these normaly multiply themselve, it takes a couple of years before they will cover a whole bed, but believe me, in about 5 years, you will prob need to thin them out, over here in UK after the flowers fade, I cut the tops off like giving a haircut, and before the summer ends, they send up a second flowering, they are really lovely plants and as tough as old boots. I give a feed around the plants autumn time and they just bloom their heads of the next year, you can split up the clumps if you like and this will spread the plants out as they multiply anyway. good luck WeeNel.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 4, 2007
9:39 AM

Post #3693390

Melly,

Your plant is Strawberry Begonia, Strawberry Geranium, Roving Sailor
Saxifraga stolonifera, see it here> http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53215/

You can read the comments sections in plant piles.

Sounds like it is doing fine for you. I am surprised it is growing so far north. You might want to give it a mulch in winter or plant more of the babies in a protected location.

Good luck with it.
mellymass
Metrowest, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #3695470

Thanks guys. You know I didnt even check to see the zones it does well in. Hoping that they will be able to make it through the winter.
mellymass
Metrowest, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #4494716

Bumping up my old thread with an update. We have had quite a bit of snow here starting back in Dec. The past couple of times it has melted I have gone out and checked out what if any little green there is left in my gardens. To my surprise these plants which only have a layer of leafs on top of them continue to thrive. They are in a lightly shaded raised garden next to my house. Hoping that they make it through this crazy weather!
I have considered digging some of them up and seeing how they do inside since I here that in some cases they do well as house plants.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2008 12:05 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America